Welcome to PatsFans.com

Corporate Welfare

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Apr 6, 2011.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

from the Obama administration for friendly news outlets (WaPo and CBS) Unions (Teamsters & UAW & others) and other favored companies (GE, At&T and Verizon)

I suppose we should point out that the workers at Verizon and AT&T are CWA workers, slush funds for Unions.

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

I'd want to know how this money can be used (or misused) -- is it at companies' discretion or does it have to go to retirees?

Either way, I'd like to hear the justification for the spending.

An evenhanded article, though, would have looked at the remaining 75% of the $2B that has gone out, and also would have specifically looked at whether other news sources received any funding. Neither is addressed, though being able to address those issues would have made the story even stronger. So maybe the journalist is even-handed but not particularly competent, or maybe he's hiding other facts that don't fit the story.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

If you are interested in the whole report, here is it is.. a quick glance reveals no mention of CBS, WaPo.. but the condensed version in the Daily Caller is probably more reliable:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.healthcare.gov/center/reports/retirement03022011a.pdf

If you are not satisfied with the Daily Caller Condensed Biased view, you can right to the website..

http://www.errp.gov/

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

report doesn't break out corporations. That data probably is available somewhere, and I'd bet the Daily Caller info is accurate -- just incomplete.

I do see lots of money going to red states in this report, though. Weird that the article didn't offer any of those details...

5. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -2

#70 Jersey

I agree, this needs to be ended.

Cato has a good primer on how it screws taxpayers--and doesn't help the economy as advertised.

Cato Handbook for Congress: Corporate Welfare

I'd add subsidies to farmers. I have an acquaintance in Valdosta, Georgia, who rakes in a lot of corporate welfare growing tobacco. That's stupid.

And the ethanol subsidies are patently stupid. Anyone see the logic in burning our food in our cars?