Welcome to PatsFans.com

Corporate Control of Music

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Apr 3, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

"But here we are, 5 years into a war that is extremely unpopular with the public and I couldn’t think of one anti-war song that is played on the radio."

http://www.suyka.com/?p=76

Guess who owns most of the radio? A company that donated more to Bush in 2004.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/2004-03-23-clear_x.htm
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Ah yes, Clear Channel. It's quite clear, indeed.

Do you realize how many affiliates Clear Channel has bought up since Boy King took office? You wanna talk about media consolidation... Wow...

New World Order, in tiny increments.... Bravo!
  3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

The music industry is terrible. There's virtually no organics band that are played on the radio anymore. Everything is designed, manufactured and marketed by a major corporation now, which is a really healthy way to produce "art." Same with movies. This is exactly the reason why there's so much piracy and why record sales and movie audiences are down.
  4. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Maybe because all those bands you mention, SUCK? What kind of market is there to play that **** on the radio? I mean you can turn on any rock station and hear Green Day or Pearl Jam, that not liberal enough for you?

Pink? Are you kidding me?

I just heard "Civil War" by GNR on the way home today, isn't that an anti-war song?
  5. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

In 2006, Clear Channel Communications was acquired by Bain Capital and Thomas Lee Partners for nearly $19 billion. Bain Capital is an investment firm which was founded by former (pro-war) presidential candidate and Governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney.
  6. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

The point is that when it came time to speak up, these bands were silenced. Everyone was afraid to be "Dixie Chicked" by the fascists at Clear Channel. The fact that those bands happen to be liberal doesn't mean they aren't censored.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  7. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

# The labels don't want to put out music that they'd have a hard time promoting or getting played on...
    # Conservative radio stations who don't want to give their dwindling audiences reasons to change channels... and who owned by corporations who are big Bush supporters. Radio stations also tend to avoid anything with political themes so they don't rile the...

#Conservative talk show hosts and politicians who are desperate to latch on to any issue that can distract people from more important things... like the economy, the price of food, the erosion of civil liberties, etc...

Here is more songs for you :

"When The President Talks To God"
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KIIImiRDnF8

and
    Landlocked Blues
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b8w4iTBPXn4

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +504 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

There's more problems with the music industry than their opinion on the war. Have they been silenced ? I have no idea. But there's more than enough anti-war voices out there and more than enough problems for the music industry that this is a total non issue for me.

Personally I have several anti war CDs/tracks on recent purchases; have they been on the radio ? No - but they wouldn't have been with other lyrics either, they just aren't popular bands.
  9. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Hello................

Those bands WW83 mentioned are garbage, they are silenced by their own "suckiness" PINK? Cmon, Wildo!

The Dixie Chicks should know their audience better, freedom of speech goes both ways.
  10. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Ehh I think it's a stretch to say that anti-war songs are being held down. Most of these artists are very vocal about their leanings. And look at MTV, they put out an anti-war movie. I think it has to do more with the fact that Americans don't really want to think about that stuff in their music. All mainstream is stupid and inane, with no thought behind it really. The radio plays the same crap over and over.

I don't think it's a conspiracy to silence anti-war voices. Anti-Bush and anti-war people have plenty of avenues to get their message across. The public just doesn't consume stuff that involves thought like that.
  11. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Don't know about Clear Channel, but I do know the local country station here pulled the Chicks music because of the outraged letters, phone calls and emails they were getting from their listeners.

Do you ever think perhaps it might be consumer driven? Why would Clear Channel do something that wasn't supported by listeners? If people really wanted to hear this stuff, it would be on the 'every hour' playlist.
  12. Bigdogx

Bigdogx Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I can think of one band that doesnt give a crap about what any radio station or fcc dingbat thinks, and hey the lead singer looks a hell of alot like your avatar.:D
  13. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Well considering that the Dixie Chicks are multi-platinum selling artists, I'd say it was not consumer driven. Imus, on the other hand, was consumer driven, though something tells me you don't agree with him being censored.
  14. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Ya but they A) don't get the radio play that they deserve because of the length of their songs and B) aren't overtly political.
  15. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And why would "something [tell] you" that?

How can you say that a locally owned music station pulling the Dixie Chicks from it's airwaves as a result of public opinion isn't consumer driven, but Imus, chased from the air by Jackson (of Hymietown fame) and Sharpton (Tawana Brawley etc etc et al) was?

Imus is back on the air. I assume he's doing well, I don't listen and don't care to--I gave up listening to him when he stopped being funny, which was right about the time he got married.

If it was consumer driven, he'd never be allowed near another microphone.
  16. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I like how you add in "as a result of public opinion." Do you have any evidence for this. Or does a clear channel mandate = public opinion in your mind. Here's a hint, there's no such thing as "local radio stations" anymore, they are all owned by clear channel or Viacom.
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +503 / 6 / -2

I'm sorry, but last I checked, isn't this a free country? So what you're saying then, is that these bands of yours are sellouts for the mighty dollar, and have no principles, since they won't make anti-war songs for fear of missing out on contract money? No wait, Wes is saying they do make songs, but that no one plays them due to pro-war collusion. :rolleyes:

How's Hollywood and their anti-war bonanza working out for them? Is that a pro-war conspiracy by Showcase cinema to not let people buy tickets to the showings? :rofl:

If the songs were good, or people really wanted to listen to them, they'd be popular. The fact that they aren't isn't indicitive of a government controlled, or coerced, conspiracy.
  18. Bigdogx

Bigdogx Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He does throw his shots in at this administration though, not directly on any albums which i like because i think it would take away from what he is trying to do as a artist, but them live and in person is a different animal.

And really like anything else you get what you pay for these days, and free radio = #@#$ imo.
  19. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Yeah that's great and all, but I didn't say any of that.
  20. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I agree 100% but as far as the public is concerned there's a huge difference between niche bands like Tool, who most people don't know the names of the members or what they look like and mainstream bands like Good Charlotte and crap like that. It's not so much a matter of "selling out" (can't stand that expression) as it is bands that were put together and controlled by the industry in the first place. People don't really know how homogenous the record industry is. The RIAA gives Payola to the radio stations and bands that rub the industry the wrong way are marginalized and blacklisted. It's all well and good for Real World to say "they sell out to contracts" but the reality is that the system is set up so that if they don't want to "sell out" they are fucked.