PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cornerbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even when Hobbs has been healthy he hasn't been any good

He would be a decent nickel back, but he's our #1 corner

You can throw to his receiver every single play because Hobbs is always camped out 5 yards behind him, and then half the time he'll miss the tackle and a safety will have to get him

Worst of all, he's admitted to listening to Phil Collins before every game to get him pumped up

who THE HELL listens to Phil Collins to get pumped up?

With the Pats, CB seems to be a position where it's more about your development within the system than your individual talent. I believe once Wheatley develops he's going to be a solid starter for us opposite Hobbs (if he is still here in a few years).

This sounds a lot like the "a rookie LB could never contribute to the Pats defense" thing, which obviously is a load of crap since Mayo has picked it right up

If they drafted a good smart CB he would do fine

Wheatley has terminator arms, he should be melted down and sold for scrap

Last edited:
Even when Hobbs has been healthy he hasn't been any good

He would be a decent nickel back, but he's our #1 corner

You can throw to his receiver every single play because Hobbs is always camped out 5 yards behind him, and then half the time he'll miss the tackle and a safety will have to get him

Worst of all, he's admitted to listening to Phil Collins before every game to get him pumped up

who THE HELL listens to Phil Collins to get pumped up?
Do yourself a favour and think for a couple of minutes before you post something.

Do yourself a favor and whenever you want to post, pull some Kraft cheese singles out of the fridge and start smacking yourself in the face with them while making barnyard animal noises

Record this on video and post it on youtube and link us to it

Raiders are going to franchise Nhamdi again, send over two 1st rounders and pay the man.

So, you have nothing but heresay as support? And heresay from ESPN, none the less.

Ok, when did Kings and Borges opinions become fact? The guy was reading from a stat sheet that many espn guys use. The stats seemed pretty solid and just not opinion.

I don't need to go and look under the Vrabel thread. I KNOW what I wrote. And no where did I say that Vrabel's ONLY job was to set the edge against the run.

You tried and tried to make an argument on why his sacks were down and your argument was he is setting the edge and his job has changed.

I am watching NFL replay as I am writing this and Vrable in playing Left OLB. Brad Smith just ran right by him. So much for job change.

*ROFLMAO* You think that my saying what Vrabel's responsibilities are is my putting myself in the meeting rooms? I am NOT the only person who has said Vrabel's job has changed. He's playing an entirely different position. Watch the friggin games and you'd see for yourself. Vrabel is lining up, primarily, at ROLB. Where Rosie Colvin lined up last year.

Who else, name and link. Again, watching NFL replay. Vrable's playing Left OLB.

Stats mean NOTHING without context. Demeco Ryans won rookie of the year for the Texans because of his stellar play. NOT just the number of tackles. And only the ignorant are talking about how many tackles Mayo has. The number of tackles doesn't matter if the opposing player got 10 yards on the play.

How many times have you seen coaches talk about missed tackles. One missed tackle can mean a TD. IE missed tackle O'Neil in 1st phins game TD. Stats mean everthing!!!!

BTW, why don't you email Ron Borges and find out how much weight he gives to the number of tackles a player made during their career when he decides who to vote for in the Hall of Fame voting?

Ron Borges who hates the coach and wrote that Randy Moss could not run anymore, that Ron Borges. Ron Borges who has lied several times in his writing.

You have to judge players on something and that something is stats. Wrs are judge on receptions and yards. RB's on yards.

I am asking you, what should you go on for the HOF?

In other words, you can't provide the quote and you just want me and everyone else to take what you say at face value? Sorry. Can't do it.

You gave me RON FREAKING BORGES as part of your argument. Need I say more.

Tackles don't matter. This is a bio of a HOF player. This is right from HOF web site.

Mike Singletary, was a second-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears in the 1981 NFL Draft and the 38th player selected overall. The only college junior to be selected to the All-SWC Team of the 1970s, Singletary earned All-America honors in both his junior and senior years at Baylor, where he averaged 15 tackles per game and established a team record with 232 tackles in 1978.

Singletary became a starter in the Bears lineup in the seventh game of his rookie season. In a game against the Kansas City Chiefs, his third as a starter, Singletary put on a remarkable defensive performance recording 10 tackles and forcing a fumble. A nearly unanimous all-rookie selection, Singletary went on to start 172 games for the Bears during his 12-year career, which is the second most in club history.

An intense player, Mike finished as the Bears’ first or second leading tackler each of his last 11 seasons. He amassed an impressive 1,488 career tackles, 885 of which were solo efforts. A constant force on defense, he missed playing just two games, both in 1986.

In a game against the Denver Broncos in 1990 he had a personal-best performance when he recorded 10 solo tackles and 10 assists. Selected to play in a team record 10 Pro Bowls, Singletary was All-Pro eight times, and All-NFC every year from 1983 until 1991.

The NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1985 and 1988, Mike was the cornerstone of the Bears’ innovative 46-defense. In 1985, he led a Bears’ defense that allowed fewer than 11 points per game, as the team posted an impressive 15-1 record. He had 13 tackles and a sack in the playoffs leading up to the Bears’ 46-10 defeat of the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XX. The Bears’ league-leading defense held the Patriots to a record low seven yards rushing, while the hard-charging Singletary contributed with two fumble recoveries.

TACKLES WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and whenever you want to post, pull some Kraft cheese singles out of the fridge and start smacking yourself in the face with them while making barnyard animal noises

Do us all a favor and restrict your threads, and posts to the Practice Squad forum. You're using space in the main forum that could be better used by people who actually know what they're talking about. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your contribution

You've really explained why the pats have never made a move to get a CB via the draft, free agency or a trade

Last edited:

You've really explained why the pats have never made a move to get a CB via the draft, free agency or a trade

This post by you explains to everyone why YOU have nothing to contribute to this thread or any other. Are you really trying to tell me that they've never drafted a corner, becuase thats what your post says. Please read your posts before submitting them, and making yourself look like a fool. :banned:

This sounds a lot like the "a rookie LB could never contribute to the Pats defense" thing, which obviously is a load of crap since Mayo has picked it right up

If they drafted a good smart CB he would do fine

Wheatley has terminator arms, he should be melted down and sold for scrap

First off, no one said "a rookie LB could never contribute in to the Patriots defense." Its been said that it would take a very special rookie LB to contribute. Mayo and Guyton are those special types. They are the excpetions, not the rules.

Just because you are that sort of ignorant person, it doesn't make the rest of us that ignorant.

Ok, when did Kings and Borges opinions become fact? The guy was reading from a stat sheet that many espn guys use. The stats seemed pretty solid and just not opinion.

So, Instead of reading the article and getting educated, you decide to continue to be an ignorant fool. If you read the article, you'd have seen that the Colts total tackles was almost double the number of defensive plays they had. Houston and San Fran were almost as bad.

You tried and tried to make an argument on why his sacks were down and your argument was he is setting the edge and his job has changed.

I am watching NFL replay as I am writing this and Vrable in playing Left OLB. Brad Smith just ran right by him. So much for job change.

No. I told you exactly what my argument was. I told you that Vrabel's sacks were down because he was playing ROLB. That is the position he played when Adalius wasn't injured. Did line up some at LOLB, yep. But he's primarily been at ROLB. You watching ONE play doesn't change anything. Clearly your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

Who else, name and link. Again, watching NFL replay. Vrable's playing Left OLB.

Vrabel, against the Jets, was lining up primarily at ROLB. Yes, he took some snaps in sub packages at LOLB, but not a lot. ONE game doesn't prove anything for you. Well, other than your myopic in your views.

How many times have you seen coaches talk about missed tackles. One missed tackle can mean a TD. IE missed tackle O'Neil in 1st phins game TD. Stats mean everthing!!!!

Wrong. Stats mean nothing without context. That is what you continue to not understand. Otherwise, the people saying that Brady is a better QB than Manning wouldn't have a leg to stand on because Manning has much better STATS than Brady. Brady has the better over-all record, but Manning has the stats. Again, its called context. Something which you clearly know NOTHING about.

Ron Borges who hates the coach and wrote that Randy Moss could not run anymore, that Ron Borges. Ron Borges who has lied several times in his writing.

You have to judge players on something and that something is stats. Wrs are judge on receptions and yards. RB's on yards.

I am asking you, what should you go on for the HOF?

Again, this is where your lack of comprehension shows through for everyone. Stats are just part of it. If stats were the ONLY thing then guys like Terry Bradshaw and Dan Fouts would not be in the Hall of Fame. It wouldn't have taken Andre Tippett so long to get into the Hall of Fame.

OH, tell me something. What stats do they use to judge an O-Lineman?

You gave me RON FREAKING BORGES as part of your argument. Need I say more.

Yes, actually, you do. See, unlike you, I know for a fact that Ron Borges is (or was) one of the sportswriters who has (had) a vote in the Hall of Fame process. His bias towards all things Belichick have nothing to do with how he votes for other prospective Hall of Famers. The fact that you try and deflect it is pretty laughable.

Tackles don't matter. This is a bio of a HOF player. This is right from HOF web site.

Mike Singletary, was a second-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears in the 1981 NFL Draft and the 38th player selected overall. The only college junior to be selected to the All-SWC Team of the 1970s, Singletary earned All-America honors in both his junior and senior years at Baylor, where he averaged 15 tackles per game and established a team record with 232 tackles in 1978.

Singletary became a starter in the Bears lineup in the seventh game of his rookie season. In a game against the Kansas City Chiefs, his third as a starter, Singletary put on a remarkable defensive performance recording 10 tackles and forcing a fumble. A nearly unanimous all-rookie selection, Singletary went on to start 172 games for the Bears during his 12-year career, which is the second most in club history.

An intense player, Mike finished as the Bears’ first or second leading tackler each of his last 11 seasons. He amassed an impressive 1,488 career tackles, 885 of which were solo efforts. A constant force on defense, he missed playing just two games, both in 1986.

In a game against the Denver Broncos in 1990 he had a personal-best performance when he recorded 10 solo tackles and 10 assists. Selected to play in a team record 10 Pro Bowls, Singletary was All-Pro eight times, and All-NFC every year from 1983 until 1991.

The NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1985 and 1988, Mike was the cornerstone of the Bears’ innovative 46-defense. In 1985, he led a Bears’ defense that allowed fewer than 11 points per game, as the team posted an impressive 15-1 record. He had 13 tackles and a sack in the playoffs leading up to the Bears’ 46-10 defeat of the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XX. The Bears’ league-leading defense held the Patriots to a record low seven yards rushing, while the hard-charging Singletary contributed with two fumble recoveries.

TACKLES WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.

God, you really are DENSE. Its not about TACKLES. Its about the context in which the tackles were made in. Why do you think they go on to EXPLAIN things.

Again, stats without context mean nothing. You can be stupid and sit there with your fingers in your ears going "NA NA NA NA, STATS ARE EVERYTHING" all you want. It won't change the fact that you don't know what you are talking about unless there is context.

Raiders are going to franchise Nhamdi again, send over two 1st rounders and pay the man.

No. The Raiders are probably going to slap Asomugha with the exclusive franchise tag (as they did this year), which means he can't even negotiate with other teams.

Last edited:

The Pats have never made a move to get a CB during the dradt, free agency or trade?

1) The Patriots traded up to get Eugene Wilson to play the CB position
2) The Pats drafted Asante Samuel, Willie Andrews, Terence Wheatley, and Jonathan Wilhite.
3) The Pats traded a 3rd round pick for Duane Starks and a 5th round pick.
4) The Patriots have signed players like Ty Poole and Fernando Bryant.

Those are ALL moves to get a CB. Do you have anything else to say?

Read the thread

I'm talking about 1st round only

Read the thread

I'm talking about 1st round only

I've read the thread. And you can't be talking about 1st round only. Otherwise you can't include free agency and trades.

You live in texas, go chew some cud

You live in texas, go chew some cud

*ROFLMAO* Is that the best you can do? Actually, don't bother answering that. It probably is the best you can do. You haven't shown you are smart enough to do anything else.

[/B]

So, Instead of reading the article and getting educated, you decide to continue to be an ignorant fool. If you read the article, you'd have seen that the Colts total tackles was almost double the number of defensive plays they had. Houston and San Fran were almost as bad.

Is what Peter King wrote fact or what he feels? Case and point. Mike Felger thinks and wrote that Randy Moss has dogged it. Points out that Moss dogged it for 78 of the 79 plays vs. the Jets. BB does Patriots Monday and says Moss was dominate player on the field. So if I read the article Felger wrote would I be educated? IE Peter King. I would be wrong according to the coach.

Form your own thoughts.

Another point on King. He goes to a game and covers that one game.

[/B]

No. I told you exactly what my argument was. I told you that Vrabel's sacks were down because he was playing ROLB. That is the position he played when Adalius wasn't injured. Did line up some at LOLB, yep. But he's primarily been at ROLB. You watching ONE play doesn't change anything. Clearly your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

Still have not provided a link to support your argument.

I like many see it different. The guy had a great run with the Pats. He has played a lot of football games and I think father time has cuaght up to him. I don't think postion change like your pointing to is the reason. He has slowed down.

It comes down to a point in the play when you have to win a one on one battle.

I read Pepper Johnson's book. He talks about the draft. If the patriots for see a player with a contract problem or a player that is getting old, they target that postion in the draft. This last draft tells me all I need to know when they drafted all those LBs.

Where was Vrable in the Super Bowl. AD playing ROLB was all over the field.
Vrable did a no show. Explain this to me.

Vrabel, against the Jets, was lining up primarily at ROLB. Yes, he took some snaps in sub packages at LOLB, but not a lot. ONE game doesn't prove anything for you. Well, other than your myopic in your views.

You and I both know he has played more than one game on the other side.

Why are you making such a big deal even if Vrable is lining up at ROLB? What does this have to do with having low numbers
?

[/B]

Wrong. Stats mean nothing without context. That is what you continue to not understand. Otherwise, the people saying that Brady is a better QB than Manning wouldn't have a leg to stand on because Manning has much better STATS than Brady. Brady has the better over-all record, but Manning has the stats. Again, its called context. Something which you clearly know NOTHING about.

Brady has a better overall record that Manning your right. So Stats mean crap, but you just based your argument off a STAT. Nice try pal. To get into the discussion you need a starting point and that starting point is stats. People then can argue who is better and all that.

What about Dan Marino? Can't judge him on championships, so you go by his stats.

[/B]

Again, this is where your lack of comprehension shows through for everyone. Stats are just part of it. If stats were the ONLY thing then guys like Terry Bradshaw and Dan Fouts would not be in the Hall of Fame. It wouldn't have taken Andre Tippett so long to get into the Hall of Fame.

Why would they not be in the hall of fame?

OH, tell me something. What stats do they use to judge an O-Lineman?

Pancake blocks, Not giving up sacks, years played. Pro bowl votes.

Yes, actually, you do. See, unlike you, I know for a fact that Ron Borges is (or was) one of the sportswriters who has (had) a vote in the Hall of Fame process. His bias towards all things Belichick have nothing to do with how he votes for other prospective Hall of Famers. The fact that you try and deflect it is pretty laughable.

Did he not write about Randy Moss and the fact he could not run? You have no clue what Borges standars are for voting. Listening to Peter Gammons the other day talk about Baseball MVP voting. There is a voter who picks a name out of a hat every year. So much for voting. Some voters won't vote for Jim Rice becasue he was not nice to the media.

God, you really are DENSE. Its not about TACKLES. Its about the context in which the tackles were made in. Why do you think they go on to EXPLAIN things.

Again, stats without context mean nothing. You can be stupid and sit there with your fingers in your ears going "NA NA NA NA, STATS ARE EVERYTHING" all you want. It won't change the fact that you don't know what you are talking about unless there is context.

Stats are everything in football. The stat of getting off the field on 3rd down or keeping a drive going on 3rd down is a key stat coaches turn to. Turnovers in a game will determine who most likely will win the game 80% of the time

There was an MIT professor who gave BB Stat break down on going for it on 4th down.

Last edited:
dabruinz, you have to be the worst poster i have ever read. You act like your in the meeting room with the coaches and players. You act like you know the game plans.

You try to defend patriots players who can't play or are washed up.

lmao..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back