PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cornerbacks MAJOR weakness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get a kick out of some of the jerkoffs in here who flip flop crap like 'well the guy is only a rookie so you have to give him a few years,you can't expect alot as a rookie (ala Chad Jackson) ' but now that Wheately has been noted to be a likely starter opposite Ellis all of a sudden he should team with Hobbs to be pretty good on about 95% of plays thrown against them the entire season and may,just may give up a few TDs to receivers who have height advantages,to which MANY will

So because BB thinks he is good enough to be a starter all of a sudden this rookie is going to only miss about 5% of plays against him and Hobbs with taller receivers? Only 5 freaking percent??

WTF kind of mentality do we have in here with some of these members?? - Its embarrasing how things get turned around almost on a daily basis in this forum

First Chad Jackson 'should have been given a couple years to develop and he will be a superstar' was stated hundreds of times but now that he is cut the same guys are saying he was a waste,not pro ball material ect:

No idea if this was to me specifically or just a rant you decided to go off on. If it's the former, please enlighten me with a detailed explanation of how I flip flopped.

No idea if this was to me specifically or just a rant you decided to go off on. If it's the former, please enlighten me with a detailed explanation of how I flip flopped.

No you did not flip flop,It was just related to what you say about Hobbs and the ones before you who say Hobbs will team with Wheately to cover taller receivers fine 95% of the time - Nothing against you nor was it supposed to be directed that way in an attack - Excuse the quote but is related to the subject and yes,I agree with you that Hobbs is overated and will get burned MUCH MORE than 5% of the time when he faces 6 footers as others have stated in this thread

If the front 7 can't get to the QB often or put pressure on the QB A LOT of the time in this season on passing downs then this team will be subject to bombs thrown all day long into that less than stable secondary and that spells trouble - The front 7 MUST come through or this team will go nowhere.

Whether anyone likes it or not - thats the way this season will go - The front 7 MUST perform at a very high level to keep the secondary from getting torched regularly

Last edited:
The front 7 MUST come through or this team will go nowhere.
Whether anyone likes it or not - thats the way this season will go - The front 7 MUST perform at a very high level to keep the secondary from getting torched

now this I will agree with 100%. We have to have pressure. Not like the superbowl where we 'almost' got there.

No you did not flip flop,It was just related to what you say about Hobbs and the ones before you who say Hobbs will team with Wheately to cover taller receivers fine 95% of the time - Nothing against you nor was it supposed to be directed that way in an attack - Excuse the quote but is related to the subject and yes,I agree with you that Hobbs is overated and will get burned MUCH MORE than 5% of the time when he faces 6 footers as others have stated in this thread

If the front 7 can't get to the QB often or put pressure on the QB A LOT of the time in this season on passing downs then this team will be subject to bombs thrown all day long into that less than stable secondary and that spells trouble - The front 7 MUST come through or this team will go nowhere.

Whether anyone likes it or not - thats the way this season will go - The front 7 MUST perform at a very high level to keep the secondary from getting torched regularly

Just in case this rant was aimed at me, the issue I was discussing was about lobs to the end zone and how often they are thrown, as well as high arcing bombs, and I agreed with the basic notion that they don't happen all that often, but questioned the percentage. If it was aimed at JR4, who was the one who actually used the 95% number, he can, of course, speak for himself.

I get a kick out of some of the jerkoffs in here who flip flop crap like 'well the guy is only a rookie so you have to give him a few years,you can't expect alot as a rookie (ala Chad Jackson) ' but now that Wheately has been noted to be a likely starter opposite Ellis all of a sudden he should team with Hobbs to be pretty good on about 95% of plays thrown against them the entire season and may,just may give up a few TDs to receivers who have height advantages,to which MANY will

So because BB thinks he is good enough to be a starter all of a sudden this rookie is going to only miss about 5% of plays against him and Hobbs with taller receivers? Only 5 freaking percent based on plays towards them the whole season??

WTF kind of mentality do we have in here with some of these members?? - Its embarrasing how things get turned around almost on a daily basis in this forum

First Chad Jackson 'should have been given a couple years to develop and he will be a superstar' was stated hundreds of times but now that he is cut the same guys are saying he was a waste,not pro ball material ,he sucked all the time ect:

First I should say the 95% is just an estimate as Lob passes do not happen
all that often ... i was guessing at 5% could be a a lot lower.

The point I was trying to make with Deus was that the reason BB has these short quick fast CBs
is not because they are superb at defending lob passes which happen a small percentage of the time
but because they bring defense qualities that are useful in his defense system
for a bigger majority of the time.

It's nice if you can find a CB that can do it all ... but those guys are
not easy to find.
People complain about these kids not being able to defend the lob
passes .... well was Samuel , 1 inch taller, so good at that?
No .... and he didn't have to do it very often.

Bottom line for me ... SIZE is not a big issue. Let's see how they do against the
non-lob majority of passes in the short to medium range .... the majority
of the passes they will have to defend.

For those who say the pass rush is a MUST... I think is always is ... even
if you had 6'2 CBs. Give a WR long enough and he'll get free no matter
who the defender is.

If Wheatly and Hobbs read the offense well and perform exactly as BB has
scripted them .... they will not be the Achilles Heal of this defense. IMO

ps: dont' forget Wheatly is a rookie and lacks exerience ... i'd be more worried about that
than his size. But my gut says he'll do well even as a rookie.

Last edited:
Are the corners still awful?

So far the CB's are doing better than I expected. But come on guys, it's only week 2. Now if they stop an offense like the Broncos, then their legit.

So far the CB's are doing better than I expected. But come on guys, it's only week 2. Now if they stop an offense like the Broncos, then their legit.

You say it's only week 2, yet you already anoint the Broncos as a great offense.

The cornerback position was a major weakness when we didn't know how O'Neal would fit in. There are a lot of teams to play. They probably don't match up well against the top teams that we will play, but there are only six of those games. They should be more than fine for the rest.

The cornerback position was a major weakness when we didn't know how O'Neal would fit in. There are a lot of teams to play. They probably don't match up well against the top teams that we will play, but there are only six of those games. They should be more than fine for the rest.

I don't think it was that big of a weakness before. Lew Sanders surprised most people.

It was a weakness before unless the now-inactive Wheatley could have at least played nickel. O'Neal was a major upgrade over Wheatley. But as some have pointed out, if we didn't sign O'Neal, it would have been Law or Shepherd starting for us.

I don't think it was that big of a weakness before. Lew Sanders surprised most people.

I agree. We will know after Colt and bolt games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes