PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cornerbacks MAJOR weakness

Status
Not open for further replies.
It couldn't possibly be the D playing soft n the preseason, could it?

No f'in way!
/sarcasm

WAKE UP PEOPLE!

LOL They need more than a jolt of Pepsi Max, more like pre season Zanex prescriptions should be mandatory around here.

Bryant is done, to be honest, he should be cut, he has shown zonk, nada this pre-season, he's been Jason David like, freakin ugly............

Hobbs is what he is. His coverage skills are limited, but he's got heart, to be honest, he's a good nickel back and that's all he'll ever be. He's picked on week in and week out. How would DRC look right now ? He's lighting it up in Arizona............

Wheatley is better than either one of these guys and he better be starting against KC.

Lets see Hobbs played last year with a bad shoulder and a hernia maybe that affected his play just a little. A few years ago when Ty Law left everyone was saying the same thing about Asante nothing more than a nickel back what is he now. By the way why wasn't Asante playing Plaxico in the Superbowl?

Special teams looked bad in this game, but let's be honest, that's probably the LAST thing to get squared away in camp. The final roster spots are usually those who can fill in on ST, so there's a lot of different bodies mixing and matching right now.

Take out those 14 points, and was our D really THAT bad? We gave up some long drives, but only when the offense couldn't stay on the field. The D was gassed by the second quarter.

I saw our secondary make solid tackles and hit hard. When the offense can sustain a drive (Hell, even Guts did a better job of this and it showed), the D was quicker to the ball. When you combine a solid offense with our starting D being in a REAL game (aka, playing high energy football), you're going to see everyone looking better. Including our corners.

Let's not forget we were without Warren, Thomas, and Meriweather. Those are two probowlers and probably our best safety so far this preseason. That's nothing to scoff at, and it still took 20 minutes of first half football to make the D look bad.

Considering the Pats have been playing a soft zone defense all preseason that is designed to give up the short play and not the long play, I don't see the secondary as big as a problem. They have Hobbs and Bryant playing so far off the ball sometimes that I think they are playing a prevent defense.

Kudos. Well stated.

Let's not let Litto Sheppard out of town. A number two now.
Rodney looked decent. The rest awful. Where are all you James Sanders lovers? This guy should be a cut. Wheatley looked mismatched. Hobbs is a nickel back only, period. Well Hobbs and Wheatley are what, 5' 6" (5' 9" ? right) anyway.....Oh yeah, but they can jump. Ask Plex.
Hopefully the Cassel experiment is done now.
Woods looked o.k. and so did Teddy. Seymour was fine but Vince is off. That's it. What is with Alexander? He looked as bad as James Sanders.
Any safeties out there on the wire?
DW Toys

Good grief - DW this may be your most disappointing post ever.

All the chicken littles have made me rethink what I used to think was a pretty intelligent group of posters.

I just hope the crow the Nancy negatives are about to eat goes down really well and y'all fess up to it come September.

Give me a break.

Would all you Chicken littles figure out that the Pats are NOT playing anything but a vanilla defense, let us know. Other teams are downright game-planning. The patriots aren't.

So, please save your stupid evaluations. Especially on guys like Hobbs and Sanders. Guys who are better than any of you schmucks ocmplaining about them

WE could have had DRC and Curtis Lofton or DRC and Dan Connor. DRC is going to be special, real special. Deion Sanders special. We passed on this to take Mayo. I'm hoping Mayo can be just as special.

DRC is going to be a bust. Plain and simple.

Dan Connor and Curtis lofton just are not good fits for this defense.

Every year people whine and cry about the CBs or the safeties or the LBers or the WRs. You all just need something to cry about... Its got nothing to do with an actual evaluation of the team.

I agree on one hand. The Pats are playing base defenses with a very passive secondary regardless of down and distance.

I don't agree that other teams are outright game planning for the Patriots. They are beating them off the ball and winning the vast majority of matchups. McNabb doesn't need a game plan to complete an easy toss on 3rd and 6 when the secondary is giving a 10-12 yard cushion.

I just think its wrong to think this is happening because the opponents are coming in with a full game plan in a pre-season game because its so effing important to beat the Patriots.

The Eagles are in a tough division but I maintain they are still a playoff contender. They're not going to spin their wheels by putting anything more than a cursory game plan (same as the Pats) in place for a pre-season game.

The Pats are just flat and lethargic on both sides of the ball. They can't pass protect and they can't get a rush themselves. They improved on rush defense last night but generally they haven't done that well either, while the offense is in a perpetual 2nd and 14 because they can't win a physical or athletic matchup against their opponents. Consequently the backs and receivers don't look good on offense, and the secondary looks like it can't stop anybody. But oit all starts on the line of scrimmage which to me is the reason they've played so badly these last few weeks.

Hey good, lets start out slow this year and build for the end of the season. Then Mayo, Crable, Wheatley, Bryant and whoever will jell to support our starters and all will be well.

I will only worry if Tom doesn't not play against KC and if KC wins regardless of who is playing QB for the Pats.

Good grief - DW this may be your most disappointing post ever.

All the chicken littles have made me rethink what I used to think was a pretty intelligent group of posters.

I just hope the crow the Nancy negatives are about to eat goes down really well and y'all fess up to it come September.

Give me a break.
Cousin,
I have never jumped on the band wagon for these CBs so I can't be a "chicken little". I was dismayed when they picked another smurf DB second round. Hey, I hope he becomes the next Darrel Green, but so far he rots.
All this "yeah, but he can jump crap" is BS. You have a shot to get a number one talented CB like Sheppard which takes the pressure off the rest of the smurfs although Bryant is a little bigger. Litto banged around Moss pretty good I thought.
I hoped they would draft a safety, but nyet on that one too. The percentages of draft choice from 1-7 making an impact on the team are slim. One or two maybe. If I see a trade that I think would help this team I comment on it. It's just me thoughts. You have CAP issues and trade values to consider I know. I get shouted down but my facts are not way off. Seriously for all the hot shots out there, which one of our DBs would start for any other team in the NFL right now except Harrison? This would be an interesting thread. I feel the answer is "0".
I make many mistakes in whatever I do. Ask my wife. I just think if I was blessed in a position of authority on an NFL F.O., it's time for agonizing reappraisal on DBs.
You can talk about we are playing vanilla and playing back but I have seen no spark, want or desire in any DB (Harrison excepting). It's lazy, missed tackles and watching the WR catch the ball. These lead to bad habits.
Do I think the Pats will be successful?, of course. We still need a good solid CB and then we can filter in these kids.
Don't get me going on James Sanders. Nice tackle 40 yards down field on a punt return that did not count anyway. We need Merriweather back for game one.
Cousin it is fun to make comments about what you feel and say about the team here. That is why we participate. At the end of the day, it does not make any difference in what you and I or the hot shots think.
I just see a long year for the DBs we have.
DW Toys

Cousin,
I have never jumped on the band wagon for these CBs so I can't be a "chicken little". I was dismayed when they picked another smurf DB second round. Hey, I hope he becomes the next Darrel Green, but so far he rots.
All this "yeah, but he can jump crap" is BS. You have a shot to get a number one talented CB like Sheppard which takes the pressure off the rest of the smurfs although Bryant is a little bigger. Litto banged around Moss pretty good I thought.
I hoped they would draft a safety, but nyet on that one too. The percentages of draft choice from 1-7 making an impact on the team are slim. One or two maybe. If I see a trade that I think would help this team I comment on it. It's just me thoughts. You have CAP issues and trade values to consider I know. I get shouted down but my facts are not way off. Seriously for all the hot shots out there, which one of our DBs would start for any other team in the NFL right now except Harrison? This would be an interesting thread. I feel the answer is "0".
I make many mistakes in whatever I do. Ask my wife. I just think if I was blessed in a position of authority on an NFL F.O., it's time for agonizing reappraisal on DBs.
You can talk about we are playing vanilla and playing back but I have seen no spark, want or desire in any DB (Harrison excepting). It's lazy, missed tackles and watching the WR catch the ball. These lead to bad habits.
Do I think the Pats will be successful?, of course. We still need a good solid CB and then we can filter in these kids.
Don't get me going on James Sanders. Nice tackle 40 yards down field on a punt return that did not count anyway. We need Merriweather back for game one.
Cousin it is fun to make comments about what you feel and say about the team here. That is why we participate. At the end of the day, it does not make any difference in what you and I or the hot shots think.
I just see a long year for the DBs we have.
DW Toys

Sanders saved a touchdown, in case you missed it.

Last edited:
must be time to bring in the Law

Sanders saved a touchdown, in case you missed it.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. He didn't try to knock the ball out. He was grasping and whoops, and where the hell was he when the catch was made, looking for the best angle for close-up picture shots like in the SB?
DW Toys

P.S. Cassel even completed a pass.

Last edited:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. He didn't try to knock the ball out. He was grasping and whoops, and where the hell was he when the catch was made, looking for the best angle for close-up picture shots like in the SB?
DW Toys

P.S. Cassel even completed a pass.

You really should forgive Sanders for dumping your sister, or whatever the hell he did to make everything personal with you. It's ridiculous the lengths you go to avoid giving him any credit whatsoever and take shots at him whether he's deserving or not.

You really should forgive Sanders for dumping your sister, or whatever the hell he did to make everything personal with you. It's ridiculous the lengths you go to avoid giving him any credit whatsoever and take shots at him whether he's deserving or not.
James Sanders is embedded in my mind in just two plays, the 06 Colts Championship game when he did the "Olay" when Adai scored with one minute left. I mean he actually stept aside. Look at the tape. Then the SB last year as he watched with great interest as Rodney tries to break up the pass while he's standing a few feet away with a spectacular view. SI got a great photo of that.
As far as my sister goes, she's a big girl and can do what she wants. The good part of this is she would never have to worry about getting groped by him. He would miss her too.
I would take a thousand "told-u-sos" if this kid could turned out to be good. I would love it. He's a professional and gets paid thousands of dollars to entertain us and right now he's not really good at his craft.
It's all conjecture and opinion and at the end of the day, nobody on these deals we comment on make a difference to anyone on the Pats F.O.. I wish him well, I really do, but I see nothing and his play proves it. He's a JAG but he's our JAG.
DW Toys

I would take a thousand "told-u-sos" if this kid could turned out to be good.

Oh, come on. You couldn't even give him credit for a strip in an exhibition game, but had to act as if Sanders had nothing to do with the fumble.

I agree that CB is one of the two weaknesses on this team (RG stands out as the other). I also believe that the team has all that could be done to improve the corners, with the possible exception of bring in a high-priced free agent (Law or Shepherd).

1) The front seven was strengthened. The DL's are healthy. In addition, the FO drafted LB's in top ten and the 3rd round, unheard of for Belichick. But, it still does take time to learn the defense. We also brought in a veteran to hold Seau's spot should he not return.

2) What could we ask of the front office specifically at CB. We could have asked for a 2nd round and a 4th round draft choice and three free agents to compete with Richardson and Spann for roster spots. The FO did exactly that.

We could also ask that we solidify the safety position so that we could keep 5 or even 6 corners. Tank and then Lynch fit that order.

There is always a weak point of two in even a top 5 defense or top 5 offense or in the #1 team.

They are definately a weakness at this point, it's going to take them some time to get up to speed. They played a ton of off coverages, they are just getting a feel for the defense. They'll have growing pains but in the end they'll be fine.

Oh, come on. You couldn't even give him credit for a strip in an exhibition game, but had to act as if Sanders had nothing to do with the fumble.
OK Point taken.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill