PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cornerback

One other thing about Wreh-Wilson, he mostly played soccer growing up, so I bet he's going to shine on the cone drills. My kids are into soccer right now and it's pretty interesting to see the non-ball footwork drills they are constantly practicing. Practicing the many ways you can move your feet at speed at an early age has to be a plus for athletes. Wes Welker credits that aspect of soccer a lot for his success.

Well if we don't resign Talib or Dennard gets jailtime. If either of those happens then CB becomes absolutely a critical position. BB wiffs all the time on 2nd/3rd round pick CBs. I have more confidence if he takes a corner in the 1st because he is sure that guy will be a starter. In the 2nd round there are plenty of choices for depth DTs. Sylvester Williams, etc.
This is the real situation. If Talib doesn't sign, Dennard spends time in jail and Dowling cant play the Pats have NO cornerbacks. The Pats have to sign Talib or comparable FA dback, really evaluate Dowling and hope Dennard can play or they will have to spend at least one of the first two draft picks on a shutdown dback.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...rnerback-tiers

Dee Milliner is just like Asante Samuel to me but not as fast. He avoids tackling when at all possible and freelances often; maybe his freelancing was allowed b/c of Bama's incredible D. That can probably be coached. His run support is adequate. He has the size, ball skills and instincts though and he's very young (20 yrs old) with upside. Right now, he's my #1 CB but he isn't perfect by any stretch and he'll likely be gone before we pick anyway.

Not as fast eh? 4.37 is pretty freaking fast. It is always tricky to judge speeds before the combine :p

Anyway he looked a bit stiff in the workouts but I would like to see some game tape.

Not as fast eh? 4.37 is pretty freaking fast. It is always tricky to judge speeds before the combine :p

Anyway he looked a bit stiff in the workouts but I would like to see some game tape.

Milliner may have looked stiff in the drills. But, it was because of a shoulder injury. He's having his labrum operated on. Explains why he can run in a straight line. But, movement was a problem. Asante ran a 4.49.

Asante Samuel | Central Florida, CB : 2003 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Jonathan Banks improved his time from the combine to a decent 4.51 and 4.52.

Tony Pauline tweeted was a rumor at the Pro Day that the Patriots are considering him in round one. Not that possible leaks from the Patriots are great things to go on but it was at least interesting.

Jonathan Banks improved his time from the combine to a decent 4.51 and 4.52.

Tony Pauline tweeted was a rumor at the Pro Day that the Patriots are considering him in round one. Not that possible leaks from the Patriots are great things to go on but it was at least interesting.
Pauline updated that the Patriots had a best time on him at 4.62 at the pro day while the Chiefs had a 4.55. With his size and times I wonder if some teams could be looking at him at Safety.

4.5 makes me feel a lot better about him now

OK, this guy is interesting.

Vernon Kearney, CB, Lane College

Vernon Kearney - Cornerback - Bio page

6'2", ran 4.40 at his pro-day with a 6.8 3-cone and plays press.

Vernon Kearney Plays perfect coverage on Travis Harvey - YouTube

Vernon Kearney covering Roundtree of Michigan - YouTube

The very first time I watched a Lane College football I knew that #24 was going to be a special player. He reached out his arm and looked like Inspector Gadget as it kept going further and further to eventually knock the ball away. Vernon Kearney didn’t just have long arms, the kid is blazing fast, understands the game, and is super talented. This year the teams in his division were scared to throw his way. His coach Derrick Burroughs the former first round draft pick of the Buffalo Bills, even told me that he is a very special talent. I don’t need an introduction to this kid, he is a true DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH, and one of my favorites coming out in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Draft Zone Spotlight: Vernon Kearney, CB, Lane College » NFL Draft Zone

Has 33" arms too apparently.

Desmond Trufant; take that beeches...

Actually projecting CBs is wicked hard but one thing I have noted over the years is that they always go higher than they rated before the draft. This is because teams are desperate for CB help; it is the rarest commodity in the draft. Once solid cover CB can change the whole defense (look at the Patriots defense with and without Talib) but they are almost impossible to find.

Nice try, horse.

It's still the Boise State product., Jamar Taylor. The ability to press coverage nails it.

Let's see how the CBs fall out in the draft but if this draft is anything like drafts in the past then will we will CB go higher than projected. For instance Trufant is projected to go later first or early second...i.e. exactly where the Patriots pick but I suspect he will be long gone.

I disagree that Trufant is projected to be a later first or a high second.

For example, CBS sports post 8 mocks. 5 of the 8 has Trufant being drafted at 13 or 17. The other 3 have him available for us (2 have him drafted by us and one at 30).

It seems very likely that he will be gone by 29, The only reason that the 3 at CBSsports have him available is because there are not trades. Trufant should be a top 20 player in this draft.

Let's see how the CBs fall out in the draft but if this draft is anything like drafts in the past then will we will CB go higher than projected. For instance Trufant is projected to go later first or early second...i.e. exactly where the Patriots pick but I suspect he will be long gone.

I disagree that Trufant is projected to be a later first or a high second..

I disagree on your disagree; this CBS poll had two of the "experts" had the Pats taking Trufant at 29:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

But no matter; I can agree with you in that I think Trufant will be long gone. You can never have enough CBs and there are never enough to go around. Teams are desperate for CB help. It is unfortunate because Trufant would be a great fit for the Patriots.

I don't know how anyone can project anything in this draft, the pre-draft mocks are all over the place with top 10 players like Lotulelei as high as top five and low as mid twenties in others. How the QB's fall will determine some of the fall out and the Patriots options in the first will depend greatly. If Barkley, Smith, and Manuel all go early then the Patriots may find a player they really like still sitting there when they pick in the first, and they may also have good options for trading down if teams are trying to move up for Glennon or Nassib. Personally I want a receiver in the first, but if the top 4 are cleaned out then I want a pass rusher or DL who has to be double teamed who will free up their pass rush, e.g.. Jesse Williams, Sylvester Williams, or possibly even Ogletree, who while risky has great upside and will give them options when they can't re-sign Spikes, which i really believe will be the case. I don't want Datone Jones or Demontre Moore at all, and think Moore is going to be a major bust. Keenan Allen is my first choice but i doubt he will still be there, and as much as the perennial trades out of the first make me nuts this is a year when it makes more sense than most of the available picks would, it simply depends upon the deals available

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back