PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corner - How Bad Is It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fact: QBs are firing at McCourty to the tune of 120+ passer rating.
.........McCourty is getting abused on sideline patterns
.........Safeties aren't doubling the wide WR at the snap because the center of the field would be left open.
Gameplan: locate McCourty, fire at McCourty, score on McCourty. Sorry to get your fanboy panties in a bunch.

True, to my recollection in today's game...the first 3 or 4 balls were tossed McCort's way to the tune of completions and a 51 yard torching....Offenses would be remiss if they didn't game plan to throw McCort's way!!!!

Fact: QBs are firing at McCourty to the tune of 120+ passer rating.
.........McCourty is getting abused on sideline patterns
.........Safeties aren't doubling the wide WR at the snap because the center of the field would be left open.
Gameplan: locate McCourty, fire at McCourty, score on McCourty. Sorry to get your fanboy panties in a bunch.

Right now, McCourty is everyone's *****. Teams should be throwing at him pretty much constantly, with an occasional run play called just to give the QB's arm a rest.

That first quarter bomb was not all on McCourty. There was no one in the picture with him. He got beat, but there was no help anywhere. The third down pass interference penalty was a big mistake, but he battled hard throughout, helped out in run support, and made some nice plays later on.

This is a bit outdated and bound to change based on today's results, and it's from PFF which has question marks around it, but for what it's worth, Arrington and McCourty aren't as far apart as some posters think.

Targets: Arrington leapfrogs McCourty - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

McCourty has been targeted more in fewer snaps, and given up more catches (44 to 31), but Arrington has given up more yards total and per catch (497 to 185). The big difference is the TDs and INTs. If you take away the INTs, Arrington's QBR is 93 while McCourty's is 84.

Of course INTs matter quite a bit. When McCourty made a ton of picks last year, he was a Pro Bowler, but he wasn't a true shut-down corner like we all hoped. Arrington has made some great plays and gotten a few gifts, but deserves a ton of credit and has been the better corner. I'm just saying the difference is not as vast as some think.

And as for those who question PFF, that's fair. Then again, considering many of those same people also were confusing Ihedigbo and McCourty repeatedly today, I'm not about to put a ton of stock into their opinions that McCourty should be benched because he's the worst corner in the world.

I think our Safeties are not playing good either.. They are 3rd/4th tiered players on your local community college teams. They cannot defend against very good high school WRs...

Fixed.
thcoffee.gif

Rodney Harrison, well-known Patriots hater

Yeah Deus,

I just noted that comment in another thread.....too bad Rodney said earlier in the night that he's not open to any offers to return as safety....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back