PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corey,Maroney,The Jets, and next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB15

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I dont like this situation at all.
I would kill to have corey back for one more year, I thought he was a key component to the offence last year and if it wasnt for him in the second half of the season, well we wouldnt have gotten as far as we did. I love the way corey plays and how reliable he is.

as for Maroney I love this kid too, but he is infact a kid, in a system that at times relies on the rb position to carry football games. During the first half of the season Maroney would give me chills the way he runs the ball, I love everything about him, it was very exciting every time he touched the ball.
But as we all know that fazed out, im really wondering if its too much to expect from a kid to handle 60% of touches in just his second year. not to mention goal line, where dillion was unstopable. I just dont know. Thoughts?

As for the jets, I hate them, hate everything about them, hate the fact they cherry pick and always will. I must say I dont know that much about them, especially on the offence, I just know they had lackluster production at rb and they just released one. Any chance there of them picking dillion up? He is a bit pricey for a guy who is done in 2 years at beast and who only touches the ball 40% of the time tops.

Im just glad we have Pass in the weeds, a good 3rd option.

I would kill to have corey back for one more year, I thought he was a key component to the offence last year and if it wasnt for him in the second half of the season, well we wouldnt have gotten as far as we did. I love the way corey plays and how reliable he is.

as for Maroney I love this kid too, but he is infact a kid, in a system that at times relies on the rb position to carry football games. During the first half of the season Maroney would give me chills the way he runs the ball, I love everything about him, it was very exciting every time he touched the ball.
But as we all know that fazed out, im really wondering if its too much to expect from a kid to handle 60% of touches in just his second year. not to mention goal line, where dillion was unstopable. I just dont know. Thoughts?

As for the jets, I hate them, hate everything about them, hate the fact they cherry pick and always will. I must say I dont know that much about them, especially on the offence, I just know they had lackluster production at rb and they just released one. Any chance there of them picking dillion up? He is a bit pricey for a guy who is done in 2 years at beast and who only touches the ball 40% of the time tops.

everything you said is fine but if his attitude sucks and he not bought into the team concept whats the point, marouney will have a break out year hes fast quick and will get the jod done he was limited with a injury the last half of the year, we will get a nice change of pace back, change happens every year and id rather have a young guy with upside and fresh legs

I thought that Dillon was definitely showing his age late in the season. The guy barely had a second half carry in a game down the stretch. He just doesn't have the stamina to be more than a 10-15 carry back anymore. I think he is replaceable. There are some decent guys out there who can split the load with Maroney.

I wouldn't consider someone who rarely eclipsed 12 or so carries a "key part of the offense."

I thought that Dillon was definitely showing his age late in the season. The guy barely had a second half carry in a game down the stretch. He just doesn't have the stamina to be more than a 10-15 carry back anymore. I think he is replaceable. There are some decent guys out there who can split the load with Maroney.

I disagree. He may not be a 15-20 carry a game back anymore but you don’t find many running backs that punish LB’s and DB’s the way Jerome Bettis and Corey Dillon did. Ask the Steelers how much they missed Bettis last year. This team needs guys that punish on offence…aka Daniel Graham and Corey Dillon. If the Jets get just one of these guys their offense will have instant credibility.

I disagree. He may not be a 15-20 carry a game back anymore but you don’t find many running backs that punish LB’s and DB’s the way Jerome Bettis and Corey Dillon did. Ask the Steelers how much they missed Bettis last year. This team needs guys that punish on offence…aka Daniel Graham and Corey Dillon. If the Jets get just one of these guys their offense will have instant credibility.
you dont worry about the jets you have to worry about your own team if they want to pick up our players its their right, what was belicheck suppose to do , say ok corey youll get as many touches you want, he explained his role and dillon wants out, end of story plus hes on the down side he could get hurt hes been hurt2 out of the last 4 seasons, we will get someone in there to compliment marouney he the future and will be our lead back, change, welcome to todays nfl

Just read the story, mainly quoting Corey's agent. Corey might or might not retire... but he said his main issue is, the writing is on the wall, and he figured he had a shot to be a featured back somewhere. As the agent put it, the Pats were "kind enough" to release Dillon. All mutual etc. etc. etc.

So there's your landscape: Dillon feels he's either able to carry the load -- in which case he goes to finish up his career elsewhere -- or else he feels he isn't able to, in which case he retires.

He was a hell of a guy when he was playing hungry in that featured back role. He had a hell of a run, in a career that seemed doomed to irrelevant high statistical production.

Maybe now he'll have a hell of a finish somewhere.

CD, thanks from a NE fan who remembers how bad you looked when Rudi showed up in Cinci. Whatever was going through your mind then, you handled the retirement/departure with total public class so far this time.

Now go to the NFC goddammit.

PFnV

PS, Evans as goal line vulture? Duckett, to upgrade the "vulture" position? Maroney to take it on his own? We're set as is. If we want to spend on the position, we can; if we want to address needs elsewhere, we can. I see no crisis.

Just read the story, mainly quoting Corey's agent. Corey might or might not retire... but he said his main issue is, the writing is on the wall, and he figured he had a shot to be a featured back somewhere. As the agent put it, the Pats were "kind enough" to release Dillon. All mutual etc. etc. etc.

So there's your landscape: Dillon feels he's either able to carry the load -- in which case he goes to finish up his career elsewhere -- or else he feels he isn't able to, in which case he retires.

He was a hell of a guy when he was playing hungry in that featured back role. He had a hell of a run, in a career that seemed doomed to irrelevant high statistical production.

CD, thanks from a NE fan who remembers how bad you looked when Rudi showed up in Cinci. Whatever was going through your mind then, you handled the retirement/departure with total public class so far this time.

PFnV

PS, Evans as goal line vulture? Duckett, to upgrade the "vulture" position? Maroney to take it on his own? We're set as is. If we want to spend on the position, we can; if we want to address needs elsewhere, we can. I see no crisis.

I think the only way Corey goes to another team is if someone over pays. But if a team offers him what actually worth, he'll probably retire.

Anyway, about Maroney, I hope we sign another big RB, but, I want Maroney to be the starter. I think he's going to have an awesome year. Hopefully over 1,000 yards.

PFnV

Well said, Va!!! I believe that covers my feelings as well! Thanks Corey!

the pats won two sb with Antwan smith . I'm not concerned about the rb position .

PFnV

Well said as always PFV.:rocker: I'd always hoped he'd retire a Patriot but he may see himself having one more year in him and capable of still being a star somewhere. If he does I wish him well in the NFC:D

i think the jets go after jones or turner if they decide not to draft a rb

Corey Dillon's value to ther Pats was punching the ball in for a touchdown

just about every time they got close to the goal line.

It's not about punishing....it's about getting yards. The Patriots are currently not a power running team as witnessed by last season and their struggles to consistently gain rushing yards.

It's not about punishing....it's about getting yards. The Patriots are currently not a power running team as witnessed by last season and their struggles to consistently gain rushing yards.

EXACTLY.:woohoo:

Corey Dillon's value to ther Pats was punching the ball in for a touchdown

just about every time they got close to the goal line.

Yes it was, but newly re-signed Heath Evans has shown power running ability. And remember the Pats using Seymour and Klecko as goal line backs during the Dillon era?

I'll miss Corey, but his time here is done.

Running backs need to run. They don't need years to develop like other positions.

I believe the Pats and Corey have agreed to part because the Pats need to run Maroney and the line together so they mesh.

Probably need a different type of blocking scheme for him too. Got to develop that #1 pick. they'll pick somebody up.

I do not understand all this Jet talk. Yes, I know it is a joke that they sign our ex-players, but some of you have already given Cory to the Jets. Did you know there are 30 other teams out there as well? Look at the Jets situation. They found some young talent in Washington. He had a great year and by the end of the season he worked his way into the roster in a major way. How would Cory's situation be any different with the Jets than it is here. He would not be the featured back, and would be splitting carries with Washington. What are you seeing that I am not? Was there a statement or article that I missed, or is Cory going to the Jets simply made up?

everything you said is fine but if his attitude sucks and he not bought into the team concept whats the point, marouney will have a break out year hes fast quick and will get the jod done he was limited with a injury the last half of the year, we will get a nice change of pace back, change happens every year and id rather have a young guy with upside and fresh legs

I am curious why you say his attitude sucks.

What if he asked for his release and the Pats wanted it, so Maroney could get most of the carries and he wouldn't be a distraction?

Running backs need to run. They don't need years to develop like other positions.

I believe the Pats and Corey have agreed to part because the Pats need to run Maroney and the line together so they mesh.

Probably need a different type of blocking scheme for him too. Got to develop that #1 pick. they'll pick somebody up.

I know what you are trying to say, but that is not always the case. Priest Holmes was let go by Baltimore even though he ran. It took time for him to learn patience. Larry Johnson studied under Priest for a few seasons. Thomas Jones took a bit to work it out. Marshal Faulk didn't hit his stride fully until he went to the Rams.

I do agree that Maroney needs to run, but he could be like the best RBs in the NFL that I just listed. There is only one way to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes