PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corey Dillons performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we got a little bit spoiled with that first pre-season game. The numbers all around - for Dillon and Maroney - were still good but back down to earth.

I know I can live with 4 yards a carry just fine

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Try to show some respect for prior Pats backfields that have actually done something (as opposed to pre-season potential):

1. 1978 backfield. 3165 yards, 4.72 average, 30 rushing TDs. No backfield was ever better in the history of the NFL. No player rushed for 1000 yards, so the entire backfield was filled with great runners, including Grogan.

2. 1996 team. How is this for a roster: Curtis Martin, Sam Gash, Dave Meggett, Keith Byars. That was a well-functioning backfield that had true role players: the halfback, the fullback, the 3rd down back, and the H-back.

The 2006 RB squad might be good, but it has a lot to prove.

This criticism of Dillon is premature. Arizona had the #8 overall Defense, #10 against the run last year, plus added a formidable D-tackle run stuffer in Kendrick Clancy. The Pats were not running against chopped liver last week. Dillon took some vicious, brutal hits and gave as good as he got. Did you even see his TD run? Dillon has tremendous heart and if he runs like he did Saturday and stays healthy this team will cruise through the regular season.

As I been to one training camp practice and watched both games, my opinion is that Dillon is NOT DONE and will be much improved from last year. Marony is quicker and looks like he could be something special down the road. I dont think there was one pile that dillon hit in the Arizona game that he didnt move forward for at least another yard and it is one preseason game that people are taking about, because he was effective last week against Atlanta. I am looking forward to the 1-2-3 punch of Dillon, Maroney and Faulk to watch throughout the season.

PATSNUTme said:
This is avery good sign. If you are not impresssed so that means that he is doing very well. When were you ever positive or right about anythng about the team?

I was down to TC and the first thing I picked up on is that Corey had his old burst back. No RB can go for big yards when there is no blocking. Give him 15-20 carries a game an he'll just wear them down.

Yup, you can really tell a lot from those 6 carries.

PatsNuts..Good Point Man.You cannot judge a Back like Corey off of less then 15-20 Carries for a game..He will be better this year.He is fired up.He's got a rook on his tail and he knows it.We will see Corey better then in 04' IMHO..If Curtis Martin can run like he has for the last 11 years..Corey Will do EXCELLENT..

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Hey people, I like my kool-aid straight also but did you actually watch the AZ game? The only hole that Dillon hit was on the TD when he had a squadron of blockers out front. One game doesn't tell all but against AZ Dillon had those same heavy feet he wore most of last year. Dillon looked better against Atlanta, so I find it a bit disturbing that in his next game Dillon had already slowed way down. I'm not being negative: 10 carries for 26 yds isn't good for any RB, period. And the idea that Dillon is pacing himself would seem to chafe pretty badly with the Tom Brady let's go get 'em mentality, so I don't think Dillon was just in cruise control.
Tom doesn't have to go running into a bunch of Dl men all game either, coory will have to do this for 16 or more games. would you like to do that:eek:

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
I could not disagree more.

I think the presence of Maroney has absolutely energized Dillon.

He looks inspired and happy on the sidelines.

These two are going to great for each other - Maroney to push Dillon; Dillon to school Maroney - and each of them taking a physical toll (in terms of split carries) off of each other...

A solid situation all the way around...

ADPF

ADPF,

So many fans just look at the summary stats and are totally oblivious. In rating a power back, or any back for that matter, you need to look at "effective carries". These are TDs but also FD carries, and then other carries over 4 yards.

Dillon had but ten carries but three of the ten, were "effective" carries. He got the First Down on two 3rd and short dives, and scored a TD from 3+ yards out. He could only be credited with the 3-4 yards on the TD, even though he was into the endzone by a couple of yards, so ordinarily it would ahve been a carry recorded for 5 yards or more. I recall at least one other carry for 5 or 6 yards as well.

If four of his ten carries were "effective" but only went for 10 yards; for 1,(FD)1 (FD), 3,(TD), and 5 then his other six must have gone for about 18, or a an average of 3 ypc. All in all, Good work!

AzPatsFan said:
ADPF,

So many fans just look at the summary stats and are totally oblivious. In rating a power back, or any back for that matter, you need to look at "effective carries". These are TDs but also FD carries, and then other carries over 4 yards.

Dillon had but ten carries but three of the ten, were "effective" carries. He got the First Down on two 3rd and short dives, and scored a TD from 3+ yards out. He could only be credited with the 3-4 yards on the TD, even though he was into the endzone by a couple of yards, so ordinarily it would ahve been a carry recorded for 5 yards or more. I recall at least one other carry for 5 or 6 yards as well.

If four of his ten carries were "effective" but only went for 10 yards; for 1,(FD)1 (FD), 3,(TD), and 5 then his other six must have gone for about 18, or a an average of 3 ypc. All in all, Good work!
That's exactly why I said that he still has a role as our short yardage back. But if I had to pick a rb to carry the ball on normal situations it would be Maroney. Let Dillon handle the short yardage carries and goalline stuff.

I dont know how its possible to say it was Dillons fault he rushed for 2 a carry last night. Maroney was great but its easy to remember he is a lot faster and has more acceleration than Dillon at this point. There wasnt fantastic blocking for Dillon though he still impressed me with good speed. Speed that he didnt have last year with his injury. He ran HARD. He didnt come to a stop when the holes were filled up quick, he just pounded right through. Obviously sometimes he'd be taken down with 3 yards or minimal gains other times he can pound it up for 6-8 yards. Listen, if there is good blocking, and he is playing like he has so far I have no worries for him. And he is the most dangerous run threat we have, and maybe one of the most dangerous in the league INSIDE the red zone. If he keeps scoring touchdowns when we take trips down to the red zone it will be big for us because he is reliable to hand it off too. Geez, he could get 900 yards this year and I wont call it a bad year but some people will. He has a good shot at equalling the 12 TD's, and could even get it up to 15 if we keep getting down to the red zone with this new and very effective offense.

I'm excited about Maroney too BUT THIS YEAR he should not be the bulk of the carries. It is much better going with Dillon, bruising up the defenses for a drive or two then all of a sudden you've got Maroney or Faulk in the backfield and they have the Superb speed, and they will get you 8-9 yards on their first run and maybe even more. It will be great. Some people need to stop gushing over huge gains every once in a while. Maroney will easily be a top ten back if hes healthy in a few years, but getting big runs occasionally with a rather small back...I'd rather have a bruising back who can still be effective starting for this year. Stop gushing over stats thats not always how it works. They all have their great styles.

Last edited:
Patriots4Ever said:
We will see Corey better then in 04' IMHO..If Curtis Martin can run like he has for the last 11 years..Corey Will do EXCELLENT..

Whoa there Pat4ever, I am opptomistic about Corey as any one. But to eclipse 1600 yards, that is streching it a bit.

I think the running backs will better over all from 04, but I think what we can realisitcally expect from Dillon is more in the 1000-1200 range.

Respectable numbers for an aging back, but many of them will be in key situations when we NEED those 2-4 yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back