PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corey Dillons performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffd

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
This is not a Maroney for HOF or a Dillon is old and sucks post... just an observation. Did anyone else think that Dillon looked more like his 05 version than 04 so far? To me he looked hesitant to the hole and a little sluggish. To be completely honest he's looked like Antwon Smith.

I thouight he more looked like his 04 version.He hit the hole and we saw him move people around.This is preseason one has to question how much game effort is going on.
Maroney is playing to make an impression and also most of his stuff was against 2nd tier or first tier in the last few drives before being pulled.

now you are making a game camparision over time decision on the above?

I totally disagree. I think Cory looks great. He just hasn't had any of his run into traffic, bounce off, stick a straight arm in the safety's face and rumble down the field runs YET. They will come. I think this is the best backfield the Pats have ever had; and If the O-Line stays healthy and performs like I believe they can, I expect the Patriopts to have over 2,000 rushing yards from this backfield.

I'm almost as psyched as NEM about this team's potential.

I think he looks much better too. He is running straight ahead and moving people with him. Last year he was turning backwards upon impact and trying to drive the pile forward with his back. Not very effective. He does not look tentative to me.

satz said:
I thouight he more looked like his 04 version.He hit the hole and we saw him move people around.This is preseason one has to question how much game effort is going on.
Maroney is playing to make an impression and also most of his stuff was against 2nd tier or first tier in the last few drives before being pulled.

now you are making a game camparision over time decision on the above?
With Maroney breathing down his neck, Dillon had better be putting forth some effort. To be quite honest, I haven't been impressed so far. He has looked slightly faster than Texas Two Step Smith and that's not saying a whole lot. As of now, I want to see Maroney starting on opening day with Dillon taking up the slack for him with 10-15 carries.

Corey ran hard and punished guys who tried to tackle him, which is what he is going to do. However, Maroney looks great and obviously has explosiveness that Corey doesn't.

That isn't a bad thing, however. I think Maroney will be stealing more time from Dillon as the year progresses, but Corey will definitely still be the guy who is used in short yardage, goalline and late in games when they are trying to protect a lead.

It could ultimately prolong Dillon's career, as he could fill a Jerome Bettis-type role for the Pats over the next couple seasons while Maroney blossoms.

Faulk looked great as well. As much angst out there regarding ILB and WR positions, RB is looking rock-solid.

huskeralk said:
With Maroney breathing down his neck, Dillon had better be putting forth some effort. To be quite honest, I haven't been impressed so far. He has looked slightly faster than Texas Two Step Smith and that's not saying a whole lot. As of now, I want to see Maroney starting on opening day with Dillon taking up the slack for him with 10-15 carries.

This is avery good sign. If you are not impresssed so that means that he is doing very well. When were you ever positive or right about anythng about the team?

I was down to TC and the first thing I picked up on is that Corey had his old burst back. No RB can go for big yards when there is no blocking. Give him 15-20 carries a game an he'll just wear them down.

Yup, you can really tell a lot from those 6 carries.

Dillon is a smart vet and he'll save it for when it counts, during the reg season. Overall, he looks back in form, and barring any bad sprains, twists or breaks, we should see a better backfield than we've had in many, many years!
Yea, baby!!

The greatest thing about Dillon is how he punishes tacklers. I think he really hurts defenders to tackle him. He has that great straight-arm, and he is just a bull of a runner.

He looks good to me, I'm psyched he is healthy.

NE39 said:
The greatest thing about Dillon is how he punishes tacklers. I think he really hurts defenders to tackle him. He has that great straight-arm, and he is just a bull of a runner.

He looks good to me, I'm psyched he is healthy.

I only saw the ATL game, but he looked like he was running over people again, which was fun to see. I'll never forget the Pittsburgh playoff game when he just ran right threw those MFers and then tossed the ball at the stands. Vintage Corey.

I wouldn't doubt him. People might forget, he had a crappy, injury shortened season before coming to us, and he went ahead and ran for 1600 yards.

I could not disagree more.

I think the presence of Maroney has absolutely energized Dillon.

He looks inspired and happy on the sidelines.

These two are going to great for each other - Maroney to push Dillon; Dillon to school Maroney - and each of them taking a physical toll (in terms of split carries) off of each other...

A solid situation all the way around...

ADPF

Last edited:
jeffd said:
This is not a Maroney for HOF or a Dillon is old and sucks post... just an observation. Did anyone else think that Dillon looked more like his 05 version than 04 so far? To me he looked hesitant to the hole and a little sluggish. To be completely honest he's looked like Antwon Smith.

I thought his first few runs (before Maroney got his chance) were good and solid ... getting a few tough yards and all.

However, after Maroney had his success, it seemed like Dillon's runs had more burst than his previous runs... almost like he was trying to prove that he could still do that too.

I think having Maroney in the mix will make Dillon better. Just my 2 cents.

PATSNUTme said:
This is avery good sign. If you are not impresssed so that means that he is doing very well. When were you ever positive or right about anythng about the team?

I was down to TC and the first thing I picked up on is that Corey had his old burst back. No RB can go for big yards when there is no blocking. Give him 15-20 carries a game an he'll just wear them down.

Yup, you can really tell a lot from those 6 carries.

I guess being positive about Mahoney doesn't count towards your anti-huskeralk campaign does it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dillon - 15 carries for 53 yds. 3.53 ypc.

Mahoney - 15 carries for 94 yds. 6.27 ypc.

huskeralk said:
I guess being positive about Mahoney doesn't count towards your anti-huskeralk campaign does it? :rolleyes:

What did you say positive about Maroney? Oh, the part that he was breathing down Corey's neck and could be the starter.

So, Corey sucks and Maroney is breathing down his neck. I took that to mean tha right now MAroney sucks but he may not suck as much as Dillon on opening day.

I guess in your world, that's positive.

Hey people, I like my kool-aid straight also but did you actually watch the AZ game? The only hole that Dillon hit was on the TD when he had a squadron of blockers out front. One game doesn't tell all but against AZ Dillon had those same heavy feet he wore most of last year. Dillon looked better against Atlanta, so I find it a bit disturbing that in his next game Dillon had already slowed way down. I'm not being negative: 10 carries for 26 yds isn't good for any RB, period. And the idea that Dillon is pacing himself would seem to chafe pretty badly with the Tom Brady let's go get 'em mentality, so I don't think Dillon was just in cruise control.

huskeralk said:
Dillon - 15 carries for 53 yds. 3.53 ypc.

Mahoney - 15 carries for 94 yds. 6.27 ypc.

I don't think stats are useful, particularly in the pre-season... I just noticed that Dillon seemed to be tap dancing at the line like he did last year. Apparently I'm wrong because the concesus seems to be otherwise.
But can we have one football conversation without it turning into fight between posters.... that's what makes people leave forums.

PATSNUTme said:
What did you say positive about Maroney? Oh, the part that he was breathing down Corey's neck and could be the starter.

So, Corey sucks and Maroney is breathing down his neck. I took that to mean tha right now MAroney sucks but he may not suck as much as Dillon on opening day.

I guess in your world, that's positive.
You're paranoid is what you are. I have had nothing but praise for Maroney. On top of that I never said Dillon sucks. I did however say that I haven't been impressed up until now and think Maroney should be starting. He's faster, rarely gets taken down by the first tackler and younger. If I really thought Dillon sucked I would proclaim that he should be cut but I don't. I think he could still fill a very important role with this team.

jeffd said:
I don't think stats are useful, particularly in the pre-season... I just noticed that Dillon seemed to be tap dancing at the line like he did last year. Apparently I'm wrong because the concesus seems to be otherwise.
But can we have one football conversation without it turning into fight between posters.... that's what makes people leave forums.

I think stats are somewhat useful in preseason when the players are playing against the same defense. That seemed to be the case in both games as Maroney saw quite a bit of action early. What's more important is what the player looks like and IMO Dillon liked like an old worn down power back that was running far too upright. As far as the whole fighting thing, you just get used to it I guess. People are very sensitive around here and don't want to hear anything negative about their team no matter how minor it is.

As someone allready mentioned,a few carries in pre-season isnt a great barometer for a players abilities,but he looked good to,looked strong.I believe the Dillon we knew from 2004 is back this year,with a vengeance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down