PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corey Dillon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazy Koz

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I know we're all caught up in the talk about AS, but here is some other stuff I heard about Corey. I know some people though he may sneak back on to the team after training camp and if no other team gave him an offer.

Per Rotoworld:

Corey Dillon-RB-Patriots
Jul. 16 - 9:04 am et

Corey Dillon reportedly "likes the Dolphins" but Miami hasn't called about offering him a job.

Miami will only look for a veteran running back if Ronnie Brown gets hurt or Lorenzo Booker flops in camp. If Dillon is keeping himself in shape, he could still wind up getting signed somewhere during camp after an injury hits

Source: Miami Herald

I would not mind that at all....

I don't think there is any way that Dillon ends up back on this team. I don't know about anyone else but his departure seemed weird to me. Not weird because he didn't come back but weird as in maybe he and the FO had a falling out of sorts.

I don't think there is any way that Dillon ends up back on this team. I don't know about anyone else but his departure seemed weird to me. Not weird because he didn't come back but weird as in maybe he and the FO had a falling out of sorts.

That's what it seems like to me, too.
Cory was still running pretty well although he seemed to
take himself out of games a bit. That bothered me but I don't know what
BB thought about it.
Maybe the Pats feel it is time for Maroney to take
the reins and they know Cory won't like that.

It seemed VERY weird to me. He just kind of...went away.

First off, that's an agent talking - Corey "likes" anyone his agent thinks might have a need and be nudged into making an offer.

Veteran players who have underperformed for whatever reason (aging process, injuries) will often play somewhere else for less than they will for the team they were signed to. That's because being told you aren't worth it can be perceived as disrespectful, and players do tend to get caught up in having earned something in the past tense. Re-signing elsewhere for peanuts or incentives can be spun as still being hungry for something other than $$$.

But I really don't think that is even the case with Corey. I think he's a proud man who knew he was done as a feature back, and he knew his option bonus was gone for that reason, so end of the road here and anywhere unless he wants to play for less than half of what he used to make and serve as either a veteran backup to some young stud or as a short yardage battering ram (and Corey did say he has young'uns he wants to be able to play with). I think Corey has likely made peace with that reality, but his agent hasn't yet given up on getting 3% of something in 2007.

Dillon needs to decide whether he wants to be role player for some team in 2007. Consider him to be like Bettis. If he wants to come, I would welcome back in his new role.

Dillon needs to decide whether he wants to be role player for some team in 2007. Consider him to be like Bettis. If he wants to come, I would welcome back in his new role.

Dillon is spent, no tread left on those tires. He's slowed down quite a bit.

I think nearly all players have a tough time with the reality that they are not worth what they think they are - but Dillon's found that other teams don't think he's worth what he thinks too.

I've always felt that his "retirement" was just a sham - waiting until the injury bug hits teams in camp... then they will be a little more open with their wallets.

Let's not forget that for all his declining skills he still had 12 TDs for us last year - that's nothing to sneeze at. I'd welcome him back but I don't think its going to happen.

UNless Maroney's recovery is much much slower than expected, it's very hard to imagine Dillon back with us. That boat has probably left the dock.

Unless he comes back for the Vet-Min (great) or short money (1-1.5 mil), I don't see that happening.

He's already costing us 5.7+ against the cap over the next 2 seasons.

When I look through the cap history of the Belioli era, this one stands out as the worst deal.

One great season, then he turned into Antowain Smith.

Last edited:
95% chance Corey retires.
5% chance Corey signs with the Packers
0% chance Corey returns to the Pats

Unless he comes back for the Vet-Min (great) or short money (1-1.5 mil), I don't see that happening.

When I look through the cap history of the Belioli era, this one stands out as the worst deal.

Funny how one forgets that Smith was on two Superbowl teams... He was also injured a great deal in 05...I am sure more than any of us realize. He was a trooper and di his best GIVEN his injuries. For that, I think he deserves much credit. That he was slowed last year is quite true, but I still would love to see him back in a Pats uni. Running backs play different roles..some less important than others...Given Dillon's role last year, if the offense was going to be similar, his departure would be loom quite large..but with a more vertical game and wideouts Moss, Stallworth, Welker added, the O will be quite different and with the addition of Morris, CDs departure less important.

Dillon is spent, no tread left on those tires. He's slowed down quite a bit.

I disagree. CD pinishes (and eventually softens) d-linesa and LB's. He will be missed. Shouldn't hurt the Pats too badly as the offense is just too loaded.

Sure, as long the running backs don't get hurt, we'll be fine.

I disagree. CD pinishes (and eventually softens) d-linesa and LB's. He will be missed. Shouldn't hurt the Pats too badly as the offense is just too loaded.

Perhaps we should remember this, the drag on dead money when the Patriots overpay for one great season. In Dillon's case, it was a truly outstanding season and had as much to do with that superbowl as any other player. And it was in the playoffs against the Colts where he was undoubtedly the player of the game.

So many parallels, but at least Dillon had proved he'd done it before and there was no obvious indication he couldn't or wouldn't do it again, at least for a couple more years. He might not have been young, but he was proven.

As opposed to ....

First off, that's an agent talking - Corey "likes" anyone his agent thinks might have a need and be nudged into making an offer.

but his agent hasn't yet given up on getting 3% of something in 2007.

Don't THAT sound like the truth !

After that final flurry of bs from AS's agents
... never again am i attaching ANY significance to agent-speak.

At this stage of the game SM is an upgrade.

Funny how one forgets that Smith was on two Superbowl teams....

Smith was a solid player. That's how I would desribe Corey the last 2 seasons while battling injuries. Tough yardage type of guy. Still has a some game left in the tank. That's why I brought his name up in the first place. I actually thought we should have signed Smith in 2004 to back up Corey, but I knew that wouldn't happen.

This "one" hasn't forgotten the contributions that Antowain Smith made to this orginazation. He took over after the Kevin Faulk/JR Redmond duo failed, which was after Terry Allen left, which was after Robert Edwards got injured, which was after Curtis Martin bolted for the Jokes.

If anyone thinks we can get Dillon back and thinks he's still the Dillon of 2004, I don't see that happening. He would be a great backup option to have on the roster for short $, but otherwise NO. We're still paying for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down