PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corey Dillon finding it out the hard way

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Looks like Corey's fantasy about leaving the Patriots for a full time RB position is maybe more of a dream than reality at this point.

Teams are not knocking down the doors for an aging running back to be a full time starter at the position.

At best he will end up doing exactly what he did here...Backing up a young promising player,possibly even a rookie which would probably eventually make him retire sooner than later.

I don't know what he was thinking,Starting positions in the NFL,especially at RB for the most part is a young mans game (21-30 years of age)

I hope he can find a suitable team because he deserves a chance to prove he can do it at his age but he should have stayed with us another year then retired...If we had kept him at his salary that is.

For all he has done for this team its sad to see teams tossing him around the league thinking about signing him then playing the waiting game or simply passing on him,but hopefully that will come to an end soon....Likely to be signed by Baltimore,Buffalo or maybe Minnesota as a backup bruising RB who will probably have 12 carries or less a game - Full time is very unlikely IMO.

Corey,Those glory days are over,We still wish you well.

Looks like Corey's fantasy about leaving the Patriots for a full time RB position is maybe more of a dream than reality at this point.
Maybe teams looked at the tape and saw Dillon taking himself out of the game after several runs or one long one . . .

Maybe teams looked at the tape and saw Dillon taking himself out of the game after several runs or one long one . . .

Interesting comments from SP today on EEI. I agree with the quote above, it seemed like he couldn't run for more than 2 plays without tapping his helmet and seemed totally disinterested in the 2nd half of the Indy game. Maybe the pedals fell of the bloom and the Pats did not want to see an even more sour Dillion in camp next year.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/03/pioli_on_weei.html
Did the Corey Dillon situation catch you guys by surprise?
“What situation?”

The request to be released.
“Again, urban legend. I think sometimes what happens, I would say this –- I would debate whether Corey or Corey’s representation asked for a release, because Corey certainly did not. Again, we released Corey, and that’s all there is. Sometimes how things get twisted and explained in different ways. We had a good, long conversation with those folks and that’s a decision we made.”

Why did you release him?
“I think it was time for both sides to move in different directions. We loved Corey. Corey Dillon helped get us a championship, he had the single-season rushing record, and he was a huge part of us winning the Super Bowl championship. We just felt, for a number of reasons, after a good lengthy discussion, it was in the best interest of both sides to move in different directions.”

Corey let the media in Boston get to him to much.he felt he was not appreciated or respected by them and i think that affected his decision to leave.

Leaving for another team is one thing..Expecting to be a full time starter at 30+ years of age is another.

Ask one of the best RBs in our time Emmitt Smith of how wonderful it is to find another team at 30+years that wants you full time and to produce at that level,even tougher - Emmitt quit at the right time before he became more of a hinderance than help and I think that bodes similar for Corey,Although Emmitt will go down as a better RB of course but similar situations here IMO.

That's a little harsh. Maybe he was just following the gameplan? He could have been acting upon coaches' instructions.

I'm thankful for everything Corey gave us. I was so against getting him originally for personality reasons. I would write that, as a man, he wasn't a Patriot like Antowain Smith. Well, Corey proved me wrong. He held himself with pride and dignity while he was here and worked dilligently. He even came off as someone with a gruff charm.......and definitely used that mean streak during the games. He "ran angry" and I loved that. To me he was the MVP of that 2004 season.

Age catches up with RB's sooner than other positions. The man took a pounding (and gave one out).

Thank you Corey, you turned me into a fan of yours.

Do you think maybe that NE was going to release Dillon anyways, or at least Corey thought this? This is the only rational explanation I get come up with because Dillon isn't going to find a better deal financially than he would have had if he stayed with the Pats. With the deal that Jamal Lewis got in Cleveland, I can't see Dillon being able to command a higher price than that. Seriously, did his ego get in the way or maybe there was a chance the Pats were going to release him anyways and he wanted to beat them to punch. I was hoping we could've kept him around as a 3rd down and goal line back

I don't imagine CD is all that surprised that nobody's beating his door down right now. His official position remains that he's most likely going to retire.

There's still a lot of offseason left, though, for the right situation to pop up. For example, having traded McGahee to Baltimore, the Bills could be interested in making Dillon their primary ball-carrier for a year.

I think this thread should be titled "Corey's Agent Finding Out the Hard Way" Since the Indy game all Dillon has said is that he would probably prefer to retire, but that he would keep an open mind if the right situation arose. his agent has been the one saying he would like to see Corey go somewhere as a feature back. TRANSLATION: I (the agent) would like to squeeze on more fat commision out of this before he retires.

I think this thread should be titled "Corey's Agent Finding Out the Hard Way" Since the Indy game all Dillon has said is that he would probably prefer to retire, but that he would keep an open mind if the right situation arose. his agent has been the one saying he would like to see Corey go somewhere as a feature back. TRANSLATION: I (the agent) would like to squeeze on more fat commision out of this before he retires.

i think hes gonna wind up in buffalo, and he'll be tutoring some rookie runner over there this coming year.

Very well said, Shmessy!

I think Corey is trying to finish off his resume for the HOF. He needs something like 900 yards to pass 5 HOFers career stats including Franco Harris, Jim Brown, etc.

He wants to get it done this year. That ain't gonna happen in NE.

I doubt that he or his agent is surprised that he's still on the market. Everyone is going for younger dudes for their #1 back... but he still could find a home as the top guy later in the preseason.

I wish him the best of luck, he belongs in the HOF.

so did SP say that dillion never asked to be released but they did so anyway?

Dillon knew he was getting released so he did it his way.

No shame in that.

That's a little harsh. Maybe he was just following the gameplan? He could have been acting upon coaches' instructions.

Is that a joke?

The guy carries it 1 or 2 times and then he is waving his hand towards the sideline telling someone to come in while running off the field.

Now, I'm no genius but to the best of my knowledge the coach sends the subs in from the sideline and tells the QB the personnel package which he says in the huddle or as they are walking up to the line. Then the players who are not part of that package run off the field.

Corey has no way of knowing what package is coming as he is getting up off the ground at the end of his run - until he his teammates catch up to him or he gets in the huddle. Corey waved himself off long before that.

Last edited:
Dillon was due some sort of big roster bonus. He was cut by the team. The "asking for his release" spin was probably thrown out there by him (to protect his pride) or his agent (to protect his value).

Dillon was due some sort of big roster bonus. He was cut by the team. The "asking for his release" spin was probably thrown out there by him (to protect his pride) or his agent (to protect his value).

I hear ya man

My guess is it was the agent. His statement contradicted Corey's shortly after his release.

Corey said retirement.
Agent said offers.

Who thinks Corey Dillon may end up back in New England? I wouldn't be surprised.

Who thinks Corey Dillon may end up back in New England? I wouldn't be surprised.

How do you figure that?....We signed Sammy Morris for no reason?

You think Corey would accept even more competition at RB position? - NO WAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye