PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Core defensive roster spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I like the roster threads so much, because there are just so many different options and opinions, none of which are wrong or right.

Some interesting notes:

--you have the 5th RB in BJGE (debatable again this yr) it could even be that BJGE makes it and they still keep 4, thus dropping either Morris or Taylor
I could see that happening as well. When healthy, I think Morris hits the hole harder than any of our other backs. Taylor might be close to the end, but if not, he could help the team a lot too.

--you have 8 DL wheras most have 6, I actually have 7 (at least 1 will go)
I do have 8 DL, but I could see Deaderick starting the season on the practice squad. The only problem with that is he might be claimed on a waiver, and I don't think the team wants to cut Pryor or Brace, who are young and still have undeveloped potential.

It's possible that Gerard Warren, Mike Wright, or Lewis could be cut to make room for younger players, but i still think all three of those guys could help the team.

Injury and fatigue were major factors in the decline of the defensive line late in the season last year. Plus, all of these guys offer production in one aspect of the game or another. DL is one of the most important areas for depth on any team.

--you don't have either Holt or Patten at WR, choosing Aiken instead (although this will help the ST case, it's also debatable of course)
Holt or Patten might have a case to make the roster if Welker starts the season on the PUP, but after that I have a hard time believing the Pats will keep a 6th pure receiver on the roster. Just based on minicamp reports (which don't mean much), it sounds unlikely that Price or Tate would be cut. The team seems to be going with a youth movement again this year.

Neither Holt or Patten can replace Aiken's special teams production. I don't think the Pats want to lose a good ST ace, as that area of the game was a weak point for them last year.

--you have neither Burgess, Woods, nor Crable at OLB (at the very least Burgess sticks, if not one of Woods/Crable) there also could be 5 OLB
I guess I wasn't thinking clearly when I wrote my post, as I completely forgot about the re-signing of Burgess. I could definitely see them going with 5 OLBs, possibly sending Deaderick to the practice squad or outright cutting Mike Wright. This is another area where the Pats need depth; in a few games last year the linebackers (and defensive line) appeared to wear down late in games.

--you chose Arrington for ST presence at CB, instead of Wheatley (I actually agree if there's only 5, there could be 6)
I could see 6 DBs, but I'm not sure who would I'd cut to make room for Wheatley. If Arrington can cover in addition to his special teams play (he certainly has athletic ability), then Wheatley might have a hard time making the team.

--you don't have any 'just ST alone' guys, where I had 2
True, but Arrington and Murrell are at this time pure ST players. In this roster I'm hoping for more defensive production from Murrell.

I don't think that we NEED four safeties. With two injuries, one of our corners can play safety. We NEED five corners and three safeties. And even at that, only 7 are needed in any given game.

THAT BEING SAID, we have almost always carried a fourth safety, understanding that he would be primarily a special teamer. All of our safeties are top special teamers.

I listed Arrington and CHung on the roster as top special teamers. I expect us to carry ten defensive backs, six corners and four safeties. In the end, I would rather lose McGowan that one of the six corners.

We NEED 4 safeites.
Yes one can be a st demon who rarely plays on D, but our special teams essentially require DBs to play some of the positions, and safeties more than corners. We have to have at least 9 DBs, and 6 corners with 3 safeties won't happen.

I agree. I would be fine with two out of Lewis, G. Warren and Deaderick, to add to
Warren, Wilfork, Wright, and Brace.

I dont know why everyone considers Pryor a lock.
I think he was a surprise to make the team last year, and will be equally a surprise to stick this year when there is more competition for jobs.

I don't think that we NEED four safeties. With two injuries, one of our corners can play safety. We NEED five corners and three safeties. And even at that, only 7 are needed in any given game.

THAT BEING SAID, we have almost always carried a fourth safety, understanding that he would be primarily a special teamer. All of our safeties are top special teamers.

I listed Arrington and CHung on the roster as top special teamers. I expect us to carry ten defensive backs, six corners and four safeties. In the end, I would rather lose McGowan that one of the six corners.

Respectfully disagree here, although you certainly have a point about wanting to keep 6 DB's. I hope that we actually do keep 6 DB's, but I do not want the cut coming at the hands of McGowan. As a great ST player, and the overall #3rd leading tackler on the team, I believe he brings the kind of passion to the field that we need on this team--also I believe he is alot of what BB looks for.

I simply do not want to mess with a position of stability, and I, personally like our 4 safeties as of today.

I like the 6 DB idea, even if it means having 24 on offense, 25 on defense,a LS, K, P and only ONE pure ST player who wouldn't otherwise make the roster such as Slater, etc. This team should be loaded w/ ST talent, and I believe that was one of the goals in drafting the last 2 yrs. We should have plenty of ST players who will already have achieved roster spots. We really could get by w/ only 1 pure ST guy taking up a spot, ala Slater.

Just my opinion though, there's no right or wrong of course.

Perhaps I misled you with regard to my opinion on this matter. I do support having 6 corners and four safeties. I was just emphasizing how important it is to me to have six corners (five plus Arrington).

In the end, I expect 15 front seven defensive players and 10 defensive backs (including Arrington). We can spend from now until the start of Game 2 guesses to final front 15.

Respectfully disagree here, although you certainly have a point about wanting to keep 6 DB's. I hope that we actually do keep 6 DB's, but I do not want the cut coming at the hands of McGowan. As a great ST player, and the overall #3rd leading tackler on the team, I believe he brings the kind of passion to the field that we need on this team--also I believe he is alot of what BB looks for.

I simply do not want to mess with a position of stability, and I, personally like our 4 safeties as of today.

I like the 6 DB idea, even if it means having 24 on offense, 25 on defense,a LS, K, P and only ONE pure ST player who wouldn't otherwise make the roster such as Slater, etc. This team should be loaded w/ ST talent, and I believe that was one of the goals in drafting the last 2 yrs. We should have plenty of ST players who will already have achieved roster spots. We really could get by w/ only 1 pure ST guy taking up a spot, ala Slater.

I agree with mgteich's basic premise,but for different reasons.........BB is always going to keep more DB's,but this comes at the risk of RB's and OL,not safeties.

McGowan's problem is not Chung or Sanders,it's McCourty and Arrington.James Sanders is a FS,who can play SS.......McGowan can't...no experience and not fast enough....Chung can.

McCourty,imo,can play NB,as well as rotating into a SS look because of his speed and tackling ability.Given some reps,Kyle Arrington could play anywhere in the box and is our top ST's tackler with terrific burst(I can envision him as a press corner or even Free Safety).

Brandon McGowan,who I do like......is more of a "big nickle" guy......made superflous by faster linebackers and DB's like Butler,McCourty.

.......at least,that's the way I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes