Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cordray Recess Appointment

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Jan 6, 2012.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

Everybody look it up, and then come back pretending you're a constitutional lawyer!

Background
    The Senate opened in a "pro forma" session, then adjourned after a few minutes. The President appointed Richard Cordray to head the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau while the Senate was in recess... or were they?

The CFPB has been without a leader since it was created by Congress in 2010 before the "no appointments, no legislation, no nuthin'" Congress was foisted on us after the last elections.

Inevitable Comparisons
    Righties are complaining that Obama is all totalitarian for using recess appointments at all. Bush had used them three times as much by this point in his presidency.

The big fat difference that will make this a big fat complaining point
    The Senate being adjourned after a pro forma session is considered a "gray area." I expect court challenges (not to mention more yapping apoplectic politicians)

Obama: It's his "obligation" to make such appointments when Congress refuses to discharge its responsibilities.

Righties: It's "Chicago-style" or "totalitarian" or "unconstitutional."

Okay, go.

PFnV
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Surprised it took this long..

John Bolton anyone???

Comparatively the boyz and girlz over at the extreme righty sights have got their depends all in a bunch, but interestingly recess appointments have quite a history..

Consider:

Glad he is standing up to the do nothing congress, who'se sole purpose is to sabotage anything positive that can happen in DC...
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Yes We Can.
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

You articulate my feelings exactly, we do have something in common.
  5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

:singing::singing:

Good One.
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,047 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I think Obama did the right thing ... even if it legally may be the wrong thing ... like you said grey area. Congress and the Senate need to be held accountable ... bottom line. Say what you will about Obama but he continues to grow into the job - decisions like this and the announcement on the military should help him moving forward.
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +236 / 8 / -13

One 1 Senator needs to show up every 3 days.

What Obama did is unconstitutional, but the pubs don't have the stones to do anything about it.
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

As a legal libertarian (don't like rules that much), I always took the term "grey area" to mean "go right ahead" at least until the rules are defined and enforced. Bold move by Obama. Not sure I like it, but it might be a foreshadowing of his next term.

Hey, Barry! How 'bout an energy policy? What? OK...I guess it can wait until November...:cool:
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

I like how they pointed to Bush. Hope and change I tell ya. I thought this guy was going to do things differently from the last guy. The more he's on the job, the more he's simply business as usual.

On the surface, whether it's constitutional or not will depend on who you voted for, or support politically. Deep down, you're approval of such politics is probably on the nay side, when party affiliation is thrown out the window.

[​IMG]
  10. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +645 / 6 / -18

So do you oppose the recess appointment, or not?
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

It's OK for Left Wing Wing Liberal Loo Loo's to trample the Constitution, they are the way and the truth.

God Damn Haliburton
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

Currently I don't have an opinion either way. I'd need to understand the specifics more to say one way or the other. All I can say for sure, is that one party is calling it unconsitutional, the other is saying it is, and Carney cited BOOOSH doing the same. So it's business as usual is all. What I'm more curious about is whether or not the other story I read related to this specific appointment is accurate. One where this move is a step toward having this guy head the FHFA, so that the admin can administer a policy where they refi a trillion dollars worth of mortgages on the federal dime. It's mere speculation though, but something to stash in the memory department.
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

What part of the constitution did he violate??

And if so did Reagan, Bush 1, Bush 2 and Clinton also violate the constitution??

Or is this just another right wing sound byte???

This is a good, needed appointment that has become a political football even though it is overwhelmingly supported by the 'merican people.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

the last thing we need is someone to protect consumers, consumers should protect themselves.

(insert some emotocon that shows sarcasm here)

on the real....opposition to this appointment shows who is in the pocket of the opposer, and its not the public.
  15. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Further proof that pf13 hates corporate accountability... he knows that capitalism can't "thrive" without corruption.
  16. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

I not only think it's a gray area, I think it's a gray area being put into motion specifically so nobody can get anything done while Congress is out of session either.

There's a certain governing responsibility to getting elected. Dems worked with Bush, Republicans even worked with Clinton (and vice versa.) This president has bent over backwards to try to woo the few pubbies he could to make his agenda work -- even with majorities in both houses, the Republican goal's been different in kind from recent memory. It's not to get the "best deal." It's to get "no deal." They've consciously worked to stop the government from working.

So yeah, I'm okay with it. I really think there's the thinnest legalistic excuse for saying that this is any different from any other recess appointment.

PFnV
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +236 / 8 / -13

Did they make appointments when congress was in pro forma session to the best of my knowledge they did not.

If you have proof they did share it with us.
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +236 / 8 / -13

??????????????????????????????

More pointless than usual congrats didn't think it was possible.
  19. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

The Senate stood adjourned from a pro forma session.

You've got the silly justification, Darryl can do what he wants. Me? I don't feel like playing that game.

The question's whether there's anything wrong with that - in other words, whether you can invoke this pro forma status, not be there, and still scream "no fair!"

I don't think that's how it works, 13. :)
  20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +236 / 8 / -13

There were people showing up specifically to prevent a recess appointment, no recess, no recess appointment.