Welcome to PatsFans.com

**** Copyrighted Material - Please Read ****

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Ian, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Generally it's not the site owners who catch it, it's the users who alert the site owners. I'd like to think that if one of you spotted any of our content or board postings being used elsewhere you'd tell me also :cool:
  2. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +65 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

Good point..
  3. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +337 / 22 / -2

So stealing doesn't matter until you get caught.

4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

The Jet's fans who troll here ... should have known... once a rat - always a rat. :mad:
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  5. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Ditto on the bolded, I thought it was 3 paragraphs as well and thanks for posting the thread earlier; I knew it was here somewhere :)

It's definitely the quote that gets me to click the link, comments and summaries do too but I like quotes the best. The only problem with quotes is that many times people only respond to the quote without reading the whole article or they just read the summary rather than the whole article, I know because I've been guilty of both :D
  6. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

No, just a few sentences. Site owners love having people referred to their content - that's what we all work for and I can't tell you how many times something we publish ends up getting plenty of people to come here. But having it posted elsewhere in its entirety and eliminating that possibility is something that is an issue, so yes - keep it to a few sentences and then supply the link underneath it.

Ian
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  7. NovaScotiaPatsFan

NovaScotiaPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

What an idiotic policy. Not yours Ian, you're just protecting your site from scumsucking maggots and their lawyers, but whoever threatened you should slip in to some comfortable cement shoes and go take a long walk off a short pier, and I hope they read this post too.

Actually, I'm quite certain I've heard that "long walk off a short pier" line before so I guess it's copyrighted by someone and I'll be thrown in jail soon...

I loathe the over Copyrighting of society and draconian laws like the DMCA. Hopefully we can keep that type of garbage out of Canada, but with Harper in charge who knows for how long?

All these azzwipes who send these messages are doing is making more and more people hate them and want to copyright their stuff.

Sorry, but crap like this pisses me off.
  8. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -3

I don't want to turn this into a political debate, but I have to disagree with NSPF. If a newspaper, magazine, or website hires a person to write a column, they've spent money. They're planning for a return on that investment through advertising revenue. If people don't visit their website, they don't get that ad revenue - and they lose money.

For us consumers it's not a big change. The content is still free to us, it's just one click and a second or two away. I end up reading the identical article over there at originalsportcolumn.net rather than at fanforum.com - no big deal. By doing so the writer gets credit for his work, and the folks paying him a salary get money back on their investment.

I don't have any problem with this policy at all. The biggest issue I have is that certain other sites not only look the other way, they seem to implicitly encourage their forum members to copy entire articles. The result is selective enforcement of copyright laws, and confusion by fan forum members over what is and is not acceptable.
  9. NovaScotiaPatsFan

NovaScotiaPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Meh, it's all good dog, I know i'm right about everything and that others aren't so devinely inspired. ;) :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.