Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cops net holiday for 9/11

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 5 / -2

Anyone have a problem with this?

Cops net holiday for 9/11

Peabody’s contract shocks victim’s kin

By Jessica Fargen and Laurel J. Sweet
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - Updated 1h ago

Peabody cops will pocket extra pay to work Sept. 11 or take a day off, thanks to a new union contract.

Even though the date commemorating the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on America is neither a state nor federal holiday, officers who work it will receive time-and -a-quarter compensation, while others will have the option of taking the day off, said Manny Costa, president of the Peabody Police Benevolent Association.

“Every year we memorialize the losses of all the brother officers and firemen. That was the reason for it,” he said.

Cops net holiday for 9/11 - BostonHerald.com
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Just another form of exploiting a tragety for their own gain...

I think this is in bad form.

The most they should do is have a parade... but seriouly, in the grand scheme of our country, 9/11 will not even be in the top 20 of major events that have happened to our country.

It's fresh so I understand, but Pearl Harbor was far more important... do they get extra pay for that?
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

are you sure about that? ... i would put it in the top 10, easily...
  4. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

1) Civil War
    2) American Revolution
    3) Pearl Harbor
    4) D-Day
    5) Cold War
    6) Landing on the Moon
    7) Slavery
    8) Human Flight / Automobile / Electricity / Inovation

I'm sure there are lots and lots more...

Even today, how important was the first Middle East War in the grand Scheme of things? The Founding of this country can probably occupy the first 10 slots by itself with amazingly important events...

The Creation of the Constitution, the first document to empower the people over the rulers.

Boston Tea Party, Amancipation Proclamation, the Fall of the Berlin Wall, the Movie Star Wars... the list of important things that in 50 years people will talk about in regards to America will go on and on.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

well, considering several of those things spanned entire eras, and weren't singular events, and considering some were duplicates of others (Tea Party and Revolution; Cold War and Berlin Wall), i'll just agree to disagree... profoundly...

it's one of the rare talking points of the Bush League I agree with... "9/11 changed everything"... i just disagree with exactly what they mean by that...

regardless, considering it was culmination of everything from decades of arrogant US foreign policy to Peak Oil, i'd say 9/11 was easily a Top 20 moment in American history.