PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coordinators

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzFritz

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
question -- which team has the best OC? best DC? and which team has the worst OC? worst DC?

i think we know we have the best HC. (and Cleveland has the worst! i hope)

the reason i ask is that NEP have no OC, hence is that the worst?
how does Dean Pees compare? not worst but no where near best.

i appreciate BB approach to developing up and comers, promoting from within etc. ppl who can implement his system. but he is clearly doing that at the expense of talent like crennel and weis.

thoughts?

DP is hard to gauge. I thought this statement by him was telling:

Defensive coordinator Dean Pees said the defense isn’t playing different schemes on third down, just playing them better.

It likely means they're executing what Bill and Dean are wanting from the D better than our guys could last year.

On top of that Bruschi pointed out that they were working really hard on Man-to-Man play in camp. It's clearly working out well as QB's are having to look around for open guys a bit longer than last year.

Now we need a pass rusher to start finding the quarterback in the back-field. My money is on TBC.

Last edited:
I don't think I can intelligently answer the question but I'll give it a shot. IMO teams that win, have highly productive units year-over-year and tons of talent tend to have the coordinators who are thought of as excellent coordinators.

As far as offensive coordinators, Cam Cameron should get some consideration. Hes brought along young QBs (Rivers and now Flacco) and has had some pretty good offenses too.

As far as defensive coordinators, **** Lebeau deserves some consideration. Dom Capers too with what hes doing in GB.

Overall, I think Pees is good. It's BBs D, but he does know it and overall the units have been above average. IMO we have better cover guys in the secondary which helps 3rd down D.

Not sure about Scott O'Brien yet. It seems BB took over the playcalling last week, but I'm not sure...

Even though the Steelers haven't started out too well, it would be tough to find a better defensive coordinator than **** LeBeau, especially now that the Eagles' Jim Johnson has passed away.

Even though the Steelers haven't started out too well, it would be tough to find a better defensive coordinator than **** LeBeau, especially now that the Eagles' Jim Johnson has passed away.

Agreed. The thing about judging coordinators is how good are they when they don't have a lot of talent. Look at Gunther Cunningham. When he was DC for KC in the early 90s, he was regarded as a genius. Well,they had Neil Smith, Dale carter, Derrick Thomas, Mark McMillian, Dan Williams, etc. Then he comes back under Vermeil w/ lesser talent and they suck. Does that make him a crappy coordinator? IMO , no. Same goes for Marvin Lewis. he led the greatest D since the 85 Bears. Was he a crappy coordinator w/ the Skins? Don't know.

Was Charlie Weis a great o-coordinator? I do know that having TB helped a ton. Was RAC a good d-coordinator? I do know having Seymour, Harrison, Law, Mac, Bru and Vrabel sure did help! Bottom line is that both knew how to utilize the talent, played to their strengths, had good gameplans and won a ton.

Last edited:
question -- which team has the best OC? best DC? and which team has the worst OC? worst DC?

i think we know we have the best HC. (and Cleveland has the worst! i hope)

the reason i ask is that NEP have no OC, hence is that the worst?
how does Dean Pees compare? not worst but no where near best.

i appreciate BB approach to developing up and comers, promoting from within etc. ppl who can implement his system. but he is clearly doing that at the expense of talent like crennel and weis.

thoughts?

Crennel had only 1 season as a defensive coordinator before Belichick hired him, and that was in Cleveland. Since Belichick's been in New England, he's lost 2 offensive coordinators and 2 defensive coordinators to other teams as head coaches. Mangini and McDaniels were clearly ladder climbers under BB.

So, I guess the bottom line is that I really don't see what you're seeing when it comes to the coordinator positions.

**** LeBeau and Jim Johnson really stood out. They brought a top defense year after year. WIth Johnson gone, LeBeau clearly stands apart at the top of the DC tree.

**** LeBeau and Jim Johnson really stood out. They brought a top defense year after year. WIth Johnson gone, LeBeau clearly stands apart at the top of the DC tree.

Yeah, but the Steelers drafted a TON of top defensive talent with LeBeau there. I think hes very good, but I think its impossible to separate the two

Monte Kiffin was pretty good for Tampa.

<Gasp> The guy for the Jets has done a decent job...until Nov 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes