PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Convincing thoughts to believe that this team is not going on the downward trend

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Teams of the decades like the 70s Steelers,80s 49ers,90s Cowboys were all solid groups that looked like they would win forever but suddenly the "wall" came up and those teams started on a quick downward spiral that left them going towards the bottom half of the league,and these were teams that did not have to deal with the cap issue.

What convincing thoughts can prove that this team is not heading in that direction in a rapid pace?

My worries concerning this is....

Brady is still a great QB but even a blind man can see that he does not have what he had in the past,Is it the aging factor a little even though he is still just 32?,Is it nagging injuries?,Loss of desire because he has won several before?, or something else?

Belichick is still a top 3 NFL HC but he no longer can make opposing teams go crazy with his unpredictable game plans and can no longer instill fear in opponents,Also I think we can see an increasing amount of bad judgment calls in games and the draft since 2006 for a good majority of it has been poor - there has been some good picks like Vollmer and Gostkowski but there definately have been increases in players drafted the past few years that are no longer in the NFL - If this team is to remain competive for years down the road you can't have less than good drafts unless you spend big dollars in FA.

The Brady/Belichick "winning mystique" is fading fast

The coordinators chosen simply are not doing very well and there is absolutely NO leadership on this team.

Fellow Patsfans members...convince me this team is not heading in the teams of the decade downfall....I need some convincing because I don't see it.

Last edited:
Re: Convincing thoughts to believe that this team is not going down the downward tren

if we get a dansby and draft Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU and get sum other gaps filled in and we stay healthy .were fine

Re: Convincing thoughts to believe that this team is not going down the downward tren

Youve been reading Jets messageboards.

Youve been reading Jets messageboards.

Nope,Not really

Just these thoughts went through my head of memories of the sucky Cowboys of the early 2000 decade after being so dominant and the 49ers who are STILL trying to get back to the decade of success. - I can see signs of this happening right now.

I was a huge fan of this team even in the 1-15 year of 1990 and hope I don't have to look forward to that again anytime soon - The next 2 or 3 drafts NEED to be GREAT to keep this team from going there IMO.

Last edited:
8 picks made this team last year, 2 are on IR McKenzie and Tate...

23 of our 53 are UDFA, so reliance on a draft is not always the answer..

Here are the reasons why I think this team has a great chance of rebounding:

1.) Belichick
2.) Brady
3.) On Brady, I think he is far more hurt than letting on. I think that affected his game.
4.) If there is a cap, the Pats are $40 plus million under the cap ($45.2 million according to Miguel's current estimates).
5.) If there is no cap, the Pats are one of the have teams. I do expect them to spend like one. I don't expect them to spend like Daniel Snyder, but Jerry Jones is hamstrung by the top 8 teams rule meaning that there won't be another team to compete with Snyder on spending.
6.) The Pats had a lot of first and second year players starting. I expect many of them to improve.
7.) Whether Belichick addresses signal callers or not (i.e. coordinators), I do expect him to change the way both the offenses and defenses were called.

1.) Belichick
2.) Brady
3.) On Brady, I think he is far more hurt than letting on. I think that affected his game.
4.) If there is a cap, the Pats are $40 plus million under the cap ($45.2 million according to Miguel's current estimates).
5.) If there is no cap, the Pats are one of the have teams. I do expect them to spend like one. I don't expect them to spend like Daniel Snyder, but Jerry Jones is hamstrung by the top 8 teams rule meaning that there won't be another team to compete with Snyder on spending.
6.) The Pats had a lot of first and second year players starting. I expect many of them to improve.
7.) Whether Belichick addresses signal callers or not (i.e. coordinators), I do expect him to change the way both the offenses and defenses were called.

What concerns me is the fact has Belichick made more than usual mistakes this past year..He just is not as dominating of a HC as he once was,Can he rebound?,certainly but who knows?

We have to have faith in our draft class from this year and our ability to draft in upcoming years. So far, Edelman and Vollmer look like surefire keepers. Butler, Chung, Pryor got some time and could be starter quality players at some point. The rest are incompletes and we have no real idea about yet.

We have 3 second-rounders in the upcoming draft and 2 firsts in the 2011 draft, at least one of those should end up very high. If we draft well we're in solid shape no matter what we do or don't do in FA.

I'm not sure I buy into the theory that Brady will be better in his 2nd year post injury but I guess it leaves room for hope. Either way he DID just have his 2nd best season statistically and has at least 5 effective years left in him.

What concerns me is the fact has Belichick made more than usual mistakes this past year..He just is not as dominating of a HC as he once was,Can he rebound?,certainly but who knows?

He has one bad year and you start to doubt him? I think his problem is that he spread himself too thin. When he had McDaniels, Belichick could work with the defense when the offense was on the field because he trusted McDaniels to make the right calls and contrary to many people's beliefs on this board he did.

This year, Belichick had to concern himself with both the offense and the defense. I am sure he will do something this offseason to make sure that doesn't happen again. Whether it is to hire a seasoned Offensive Coordinator or something else.

I disagree with Brady having a loss of desire. You can see the desire after every bad throw and mistake he made. I think it will take another year for Brady to fully recover from his knee injury.

I think we have a good, young nucleous of guys on this defense that gained a lot of experience this year. Meriweather, Mayo, Guyton, Butler, Chung, and Wilhite are good players with bright futures, that can be a good foundation for a solid defense. We need to draft some pass rushers. Wilfork, if he doesn't get signed, will be franchised. I can guarantee that.

Offense is where we need to concentrate in the off season. I hope the Patriots draft a big bruising RB with one of our first four picks. Maybe a good TE or WR, too. Moss is on the downside of his career, but I think he can still contribute next year. I think that the disappearance of Maroney in the last three games is a signal that even Belichicks patience with him is gone and he might not be back next year.

Belichick is still the best coach in the league. And I feel real good about the next two upcoming drafts. Why? Because Pioli is gone. The last few drafts he was involved in yielded very few legitimate players. I think Nick Cesario, along with Floyd Reese, did an outstanding job with the draft last year. Every draft pick made the team, or is on IR or PS. I think they will di a really good job again this year. Being able to draft four of the top 60 prospect coming out of college will help this team to reload.

It's definitely not Belichick. He did a phenomenal job with the Patriots last year. The team lacks emotional leadership and that has to come from the players.

Teams of the decades like the 70s Steelers,80s 49ers,90s Cowboys were all solid groups that looked like they would win forever but suddenly the "wall" came up and those teams started on a quick downward spiral that left them going towards the bottom half of the league,and these were teams that did not have to deal with the cap issue.

What convincing thoughts can prove that this team is not heading in that direction in a rapid pace?

Brady is still a great QB but even a blind man can see that he does not have what he had in the past,Is it the aging factor a little even though he is still just 32?,Is it nagging injuries?,Loss of desire because he has won several before?, or something else?

Belichick is still a top 3 NFL HC but he no longer can make opposing teams go crazy with his unpredictable game plans and can no longer instill fear in opponents,Also I think we can see an increasing amount of bad judgment calls in games and the draft since 2006 for a good majority of it has been poor - there has been some good picks like Vollmer and Gostkowski but there definately have been increases in players drafted the past few years that are no longer in the NFL - If this team is to remain competive for years down the road you can't have less than good drafts unless you spend big dollars in FA.

The coordinators chosen simply are not doing very well and there is absolutely NO leadership on this team.

Fellow Patsfans members...convince me this team is not heading in the teams of the decade downfall....I need some convincing because I don't see it.

The fact that we lost our master drafter architect Dimitroff to Atlanta could have something/has a lot to do with it!! ... it's been down hill ever since!!! we're doomed. I have to say it but I have a feeling the Jets are gonna be the team to beat in the AFC in the coming years ...

It's definitely not Belichick. He did a phenomenal job with the Patriots last year. The team lacks emotional leadership and that has to come from the players.

what about him ruining the team this year???

Sorry, I can't help here because I see the same things you do.

Last year: 11-5
This year: 10-6
Next year: 9-7 at best.

You seem to be ignoring the OP. The question marks are Belichick and Brady (and perhaps Moss). The team is a solid team. We brought in a great group of kids in 2009. We have lots of resources, both future cap monies and draft picks.

1.) Belichick
2.) Brady

I love Brady but its just a fact he doesn't workout in the offseason the way he used to. He had the prime parking spot for offseason participation for years. For the last few years he has not. I know some will disagree with me, but I am of the belief that the harder you work, the greater the payoff. I am not saying that Brady does not work hard. I am saying that he does not work as hard as he used to for the New England Patriots.

You may be right. Next years schedule is going to be hard!
I think there are 8 games that at one time I thought 50/50 but
if this teams plays like it did Sunday maybe they luck out and get
2 wins. that's 6 losses right there.

If Belichick and Brady are indeed slumping it could be ugly next year.
People must remember Belichick and Brady have been analyzed by
so many people it is common knowledge what they do.
Somebody said Belichick needs to reinvent himself. That is the only way
he can get back his advantage. But that is easier said than done. IMO.

Without knowing what the Pats are going to do in the offseason or what the teams the Pats will face next year are going to be like, how can you guess the record?

You seem to be ignoring the OP. The question marks are Belichick and Brady (and perhaps Moss). The team is a solid team. We brought in a great group of kids in 2009. We have lots of resources, both future cap monies and draft picks.

I didn't ignore. I just wholeheartedly disagree with the premise. Seriously, if the biggest question marks on this team are Belichick and Brady going into the offseason, this team has a legitimate shot at perfection next year.

I have next to no question marks about Brady and Belichick as long as the Pats fill in the holes they have like a receiving corp, improved o-line, and a pass rush. Those are the question marks on this team, not Belichick and Brady.

Without knowing what the Pats are going to do in the offseason or what the teams the Pats will face next year are going to be like, how can you guess the record?
We do know the opponents next year.
Here are a few :
Chargers, Colts, Packers, Vikings ,Steelers, Ravens, Jets
All but one is a playoff team this year.
That is 8 tough games. If they get a little better they will be hard to beat.
Then there is the Dolphins. ( maybe PATs lose one here - always tough games)
Patriots really need to get more than just a little better to win more than
50% of those games. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes