PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Convinced Now Stallworth Won't Be Back Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll just slide Jackson into Stallworth's spot opposite Moss. They drafted him in the 2nd round, he's cheaper than Stallworth, and has the similar size and speed. I like Stallworth, but he's a luxury more than anything, and we can use his $$ for more pressing needs on defense, or to sign the SF pick should we actually use it inside the top 5.

Yeah, I'm certainly not knocking Stallworth *at all*, but the fact is his contract is too rich for us to keep on. If he wants to restructure to stay, fantastic for us. That's a big if though. It's hard to leave money on the table. That, and there are a lot of other teams he could go to where he would be a more high profile figure.

Moss stays for short money, I think, because now he's playing for the HOF and he knows that this is where he has his best shot. I would be very surprised if he went for the big contract here or elsewhere.

I think Stallworth was signed with out the thought of Moss being available, so I could understand if they do cut him, but I think we should bring them back...

I think Stallworth has been great given what has been asked of him. That being said, CJ is a tremendous talent and he will need a role next year to reach his potential. That role is in the top 4 receivers, assuming he is healthy and doesn't regress. His skill set is best suited for the #2 outside receiver opposite Moss, leaving Moss (going nowhere), Welker (signed) and Gaffney (hopefully back) in the roles where they have excelled.

That leaves a #5 receiver spot open that is heavy on ST. Washington could be back at a reduced price, but I'm thinking that is a perfect role for a mid-round draft pick.

I know it is tempting to want everyone back on a record-setting offense, but it is healthy to have reasonable turnover (10-20%) on a roster. People either step up or step off. Nothing personal, just a way to prevent stagnation which is the true challenge in maintaining the dynasty.

I think we can afford to keep this unit in tact for the forseeable future. CJ didn't exactly impress on ST yesterday. Gaffney is a great 4th WR on a team with this kind of weaponry. I wouldn't want to think about what could happen if Moss blew a hammy and Stallworth wasn't available to be the #2 who is a legit #1 under those circumstances. Nobody else on the roster fits that bill... It's like having Jarvis Green behind Seymour, only on offense.

The only question is about money for Asante, and they aren't going to give him that highest paid CB in the league deal even if they have tons of cap space because he isn't that player and they don't need that player to win. The good news this week is Asante is coming off a couple of pedestrian weeks and we remain undefeated.

Maybe he will come to his senses and agree to a Stallworth type deal (which is in reality a 5 year $30M with an $11M signing bonus - not a mega deal by 2007-2008 standards). Stallworth's deal can be simply restructured, without giving up any actual money, so that his cap hits for the next couple of seasons are $3.5-4.5M and the increase to $7.5M in 2009 - when Randy could be thinking about retiring while he's still on top and a first ballot HOF'er.

If they can retain ST'er Washington without massive restructure, I don't think they will have a problem with retaining Stallworth as an elite #2 who can be a legit #1 if and when they need one. Brady has proven that given elite weapons he can carry this team even in the face of defenses laspes or shortcomings. I think he's earned the right to have his weapons maintained unless doing so causes real financial hardship elsewhere, which I don't see happening quite frankly. If Randy demands a $20M signing bonus to remain, Stallworth will be insurance - and that decisions happens before tag time or FA. I don't think Randy will squeeze them, but I don't think Stallworth did either. It's all about cap hit value, he provided that this year at $2.8M, can't see why he wouldn't at $3.5M next season and $4.5M in 2009. And he may well provide tremendous value at $7.5M from 2010 forward, and if not they can cross that bridge when they come to it.

I'm a huge Stallworth fan, but there are more pressing needs. With Moss a must sign, a huge push for Samuel (hopefully), and possibly a top 5 pick, we will be cap-challenged to keep Stallworth at his projected salary.

I love Stallworth but in the scheme of our team he is(or will be) over priced for production asked of him.

I definately think he is a guy who if he gets his ring will try to seek employments as a #1 somewhere else for the big $. And why not he has skills.

I think you are vastly optimistic on the amound of money Samuel will be willing to accept. Didn't he just reject a 6M per year offer from the Pats? Why would he work his butt off during his franchise tag year, then come back and accept that same offer? Asante has a tattoo that says "Get Paid." That should tell you all you need to know...

As for Stallworth, I agree that he won't be back unless he renogotiates for less. 5-6M is a bit too much of a luxury for a #2 receiver.

I think we can afford to keep this unit in tact for the forseeable future. CJ didn't exactly impress on ST yesterday. Gaffney is a great 4th WR on a team with this kind of weaponry. I wouldn't want to think about what could happen if Moss blew a hammy and Stallworth wasn't available to be the #2 who is a legit #1 under those circumstances. Nobody else on the roster fits that bill... It's like having Jarvis Green behind Seymour, only on offense.

The only question is about money for Asante, and they aren't going to give him that highest paid CB in the league deal even if they have tons of cap space because he isn't that player and they don't need that player to win. The good news this week is Asante is coming off a couple of pedestrian weeks and we remain undefeated.

Maybe he will come to his senses and agree to a Stallworth type deal (which is in reality a 5 year $30M with an $11M signing bonus - not a mega deal by 2007-2008 standards). Stallworth's deal can be simply restructured, without giving up any actual money, so that his cap hits for the next couple of seasons are $3.5-4.5M and the increase to $7.5M in 2009 - when Randy could be thinking about retiring while he's still on top and a first ballot HOF'er.

If they can retain ST'er Washington without massive restructure, I don't think they will have a problem with retaining Stallworth as an elite #2 who can be a legit #1 if and when they need one. Brady has proven that given elite weapons he can carry this team even in the face of defenses laspes or shortcomings. I think he's earned the right to have his weapons maintained unless doing so causes real financial hardship elsewhere, which I don't see happening quite frankly. If Randy demands a $20M signing bonus to remain, Stallworth will be insurance - and that decisions happens before tag time or FA. I don't think Randy will squeeze them, but I don't think Stallworth did either. It's all about cap hit value, he provided that this year at $2.8M, can't see why he wouldn't at $3.5M next season and $4.5M in 2009. And he may well provide tremendous value at $7.5M from 2010 forward, and if not they can cross that bridge when they come to it.

With regard to Stallworth, it needs to be said that there are some big money issues on the table for this offseason:

1) Moss
2) Samuel
3) A top five pick
4) Wilfork
5) Stallworth.

Moss seems like a sure thing, but it will cost money. Samuel is likely gone, but you never know. NE will probably trade back, but you never know. I view locking up Wilfork as nearly as important as re-signing Moss because I don't want Vince even *thinking* FA.

NE likely on has the cap space for two of these. Is Donte more important that the others? The only one I would put him over is the top 5 pick.

Your priority list looks pretty good to me. I may prefer to see #3 slide down as low as we can and still draft LONG.....

I really want to keep Stallworth, but he slides into the luxury column and not the must have column.

Must keep Moss, must respect Wilfork and do with him as we have with RS & Tiny.

Break the bank for Samuel.

I think we all have to thank Donte this year, he's served his purpose in stretching the field and most of all, he's stayed healthy all year, which I think is number one with him as far as an attractive free agent in the market next year. The Patriots decision to resign him for next year will be nothing other than financial - cost vs need, which is the formula that this franchise depends on. I don't see him coming back either for no other reason than I think his price tag will far outweigh his need on this team, cap space that can be redirected to other much more important needs on this squad.

The only thing that worries me about losing Stallworth is how much it will effect Welker.

Welker as the slot man is just unbelievable.

Welker as an outside man not so much.

Can Jabar Gaffney really make teams stay honest and allow Welker to do his thing?

I'm not quite convinced yet but I'd like to find out.

Bethal...err Chad Jackson has to step up.

It seems pretty obvious that it is the combination of Moss and Welker that makes our passing game so effective. Stallworth is good, but I think that it Starts with Moss, welker is a perfect underneath compliment and that we can still be highly effective with someone like Gaffney in the other WR slot. I know I will draw criticism for this, but Gaffney will be alot cheaper then Stallworth, we can still bring Jackson along, and take that money and re sign key players and do what we can to get younger on Defense. I know I will draw criticism for this, but our Defense, primarily our LB's are getting old. I can see us getting some more productive years from AD and Vrabel, but Bruschi and Seau, you can't count on them after this year. We need to use the first day of the draft to get younger and better on defense and also try to address it in FA!

No question about it. Yet here's the issue, if you look at this list of projected available LB's next year, it's pretty weak: Dansby looks like a nice fit for us, we're definately not going to pay Briggs the money he wants, so we'll definately have to address the interior LB issues via the draft:

Here's the link

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsLB.html

Between Chad Jackson, Kelley Washington and Jabar Gaffney there's no question to me that Donte is gone unless he wants to stay here at a cap-friendly price.

It's a shame too because he seems like a great guy who is also something of a character which probably plays well in the locker room based on the videos of him I've seen.

Jabar proved last night he can be the #2 WR with Wes staying in the slot.

Does anyone think that Bam could come up next season and fill the Stallworth type role?? Not the WR2 (obviously) and I know he is not as tall, but he and Donte have a similar style (both being able to make good moves in space and pick up good YAC).

I could see Gaffney and Jackson battling for the WR2, with WWW staying in the slot where he is most dangerous.

Bam has had a few years now to learn the system, and could be ready to contribute with the big club next season. He strikes me as a BB type of player. A "C" calibre guy, who Bill and brady can make produce like a B+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back