Welcome to PatsFans.com

Convince me why I should be a democrat or republican

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by MrBigglesWorth, Oct 24, 2008.

1. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Please explain the ideology and why I should be one or the other with today's issues.

2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

you shouldn't be either. The two-party system is a complete joke. If you're going to pick one, pick evil-light, the Dems, since they're less likely to invade other countries and corrode civil rights.

3. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

well I'm an independent, so I'd like to hear the argument on the lesser of two evils.

4. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

it all depends on your personal priorities. The dems have more of a world view where they'd like to be part of a world community. They care more about the poor and middle class, and don't want to see minorities excluded and oppressed by the majority. The republicans believe in laissez faire capitalism above all else, and American imperial hegemony. They think the goal of government is to make America the most powerful country in the world, and that this country is based off of the idea that you either win or lose and that it's a meritocracy. Dems don't generally want to see anyone fall through the cracks, and want to work towards a better society, while Republicans think things are generally good and don't want to change anything.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -9

When somebody says they are independent nobody believes them, if you disagee on an issue with Mccain they will say your a democrat, if you disagree with Obama on anything they will say your a Neo Con Racist Republican.

Let Them Think What They Will, When You Enter The Polling Booth, Do Your Thing.

6. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Just to p1ss off the other side. :disagreement:

7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

generally speaking:

Democrats = Liberals = People's rights

Republicans = Conservatives = Property/Money rights

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -9

Oh look Thurgood, a yellow sap-sucker, quick get the f-cking camera.

9. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

Harry Boy is unable to answer the question

10. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I would say after 8 straight years of unchecked GOP power, we need to Select Democrats to swing it back to the middle as the country was in 2000.

Remember 2000? When there was no culture war? No Larry the Cable Guy, no celebrating idoitcracy, no being happy about being retarted... when progression, learning, technology, were the "In" things to do...

We need to swing back to the center of 2000, don't "Be a democrat" only vote for one to swing it back... Then in 2012, or 2016, go third party.

Although I have a feeling Barack will leave office as one of the most popular succesfful presidents ever to be president, which will kill momentum for 3rd party.

I do however see a new party forming which will look like the GOP yet modelled in Ron Pauls eyes... The Paulites will only grow.

11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +913 / 14 / -7

I use to say I don't identify with either party, but that the Democrats are always closer to what I want than the Republicans, blah blah blah.

Then I grew up and realized, screw it, I've been voting for 28 years, and there's never been a Republican that cut it*. Duh. I'm a Democrat, whether I call it "evil light" or anything else.

Now on to why to be a Democrat:

Their goal is for the ordinary people to prosper. The GOP will constantly attempt to obscure this by pointing to a the fact that the Democrats are also corrupt (the difference being that Republicans are supposed to be the party of the rich,) despite the orders of magnitude between Democrats with $400 haircuts and Republicans spending 20 grand on hair and makeup per month. This is, of course, a distraction. The question is, is this party trying to encourage a society where the average person is better off, or pretending to do so to benefit the monied elites? Or, more accurately, who does so more and more vehemently? The answer, to me, is that the Dems want to deliver a certain "floor" of living for Americans, and do not mind (when they have the spine for it,) that the wealthy have one less yacht or learjet to provide this.

People get very twisted about the basic "floor" I'm talking about. We're talking about kids getting medical care (or God forbid, everybody getting it.) We're talking about taking care of our infrastructure. In short, we're talking about a society with a "public sphere," where it isn't important that you're rich, because the poor and middle class are not excluded from that basic service. This infuriates conservatives, regardless of their own status.

Democrats are also more likely to uphold basic American values like separation of church and state, whereas the Republicans are more likely to obscure them (see Cheney and now Palin's assertions that the vice president is a branch of government of him/herself.) And frankly, Republicans like wars way too much. I'm a little disappointed that the conversation this time has been "nut-uh, let's invade THAT place...." "Nut uh we should keep invading THIS place." The Dems finally learned their lesson about the American demand for a war; however, I do believe that when the demand dries up, so will the Dems' enthusiasm for Orwellian continual warfare.

Lastly, Republicans are bad for business. That's not me. That's the statistics.

Share the wealth,

PFnV

*Though I "Nader-Traded" once

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  12. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Why? I'm neither. To hell with political parties and lock step group think. I vote the person.

13. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

Unless the person is a Democrat:rolleyes:

14. Michael

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yeah that's why I voted for Kerry 4 years ago. :rolleyes:

15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

And we all believe you, really:rolleyes:

16. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I am a big fan of Ron Paul. I wish he was running as a third party candidate though i know he's on the ballot on a few states. he seems the most sincere patriotic politician out there right now. If McCain had picked him I think I would honestly think McCain was a maverick and Ron Paul is one, but McCain blundered and picked a total idiot who is an insult to Condolerza Rice and Hillary. I will never vote for any ticket Palin is on.

great post as usual PVnV. it amazes me how many people in the $50,000-100,000 bracket harbor such hatred of the poor who don't work and will use this to latch onto the GOP and faith in them. It's one of the biggest illusions and brainwashing in history. It's the king causing two other nations to start fighting while he prospers and gains more wealth by exploiting them.

I think I'm in your boat that I like to say I'm independent but the more I see it the more I can't stand the GOP. I think Palin has nailed the coffin for me on that. I wouldn't say I'm extremely far left as I don't like to see peopel exploiting welfare, etc. But you need the bottom 95% to drive the economy and society. I'm sick of the rich exploiting and taking the wealth. I'm somewhere between the left and middle.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  17. Michael

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Why the hell would I make that Up? Do you really think I care what you think? Really?

18. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

you think it makes your whole "lock step" attack work, but all you do is espouse republican talking points. I can't think of one reason, based on your posts, why you would have voted for Nader and Kerry.

19. Born_a_Patriot

Born_a_Patriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Be an Independent.

20. Michael

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well what I do is give another point of view besides OMG OMG OMG Obama is so aweeeeeeesome. I haven't decided who I'm voting for this time. Only that I'm not voting for Obama. All I can say is that I swear to God and all that is holy that the image below is an actual photo of the actual ballot I passed in on the last presidential election unaltered in anyway. I was of course very critical of Kerry but, still felt he was the better choice than Bush. So to prove to the nay sayers I took a photo of my ballot.

[​IMG]