PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Convince me Welker + 2nd > KCurtis - 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I basically agree with you. Not because I think Welker isn't better than Curtis, but because the pick outweighs the difference between the two.

One could make the argument that losing Welker weakens Miami. But then again, Miami now has an extra draft pick on day one in a very very deep draft.

Will having that pick make Miami a threat this year,or even next? Personally I don't see it happening. Granted they always play us tough and we generally manage to lose one to them during regular season but ohwell. I don't think giving them a 2nd rounder is going to turn them into a contender anytime soon nor is it going to threaten our place in the division.However taking Welk definitely made them worse-for the NOW, and for near future.
The money is a bit unnerving but that could be part poison,too. Wait and see how it all ends up is my philosophy on this one.

Good responses here. And as intended, this thread has me feeling a little better about the Welker deal. You can get so simplistic & mathematical about football and free agency (hence the phrasing of my question as an equation), that sometimes you neglect the invariables that aren't part of equations.

In this case, if Curtis has 1300/10 for the Lions this year, Welker has 900/4 for the Pats and does an adequate job returning, but in the AFCC, Pats down 4, with 40sec to go, and he returns a punt 45 yards to the opposing 35, I think that value right there exceeds a 2nd round draft pick.

welker- 25 years old, 3 years exp., 67 rec., 1 td
curtis- 28 years old, 4 years exp., 40 rec., 4 td

also i would like to add that taking welker away from the pats division rival also adds to the incentive.

nuff said.....great points

let's not forget that adding Welker gives us a backup field goal kicker, lol?

But I'm about as convinced by that argument as I am by the argument that it's dumb to trade a 2nd for a player because we traded a 2nd for Duane Starks.

The Pats traded a 3rd and their 5th for Starks and a 5th.

The swap in picks basically made it a 4th round pick.

Good responses here. And as intended, this thread has me feeling a little better about the Welker deal. You can get so simplistic & mathematical about football and free agency (hence the phrasing of my question as an equation), that sometimes you neglect the invariables that aren't part of equations.

In this case, if Curtis has 1300/10 for the Lions this year, Welker has 900/4 for the Pats and does an adequate job returning, but in the AFCC, Pats down 4, with 40sec to go, and he returns a punt 45 yards to the opposing 35, I think that value right there exceeds a 2nd round draft pick.

I'm not saying Curtis would be a better option, I just don't see why everyone thinks Welker is a "great" returner.

Wes Welker's 2006 kick return avg was 22.2 and punt return was 9.2
Kevin Faulk's were 21.4 and 10.6
Ellis Hobbs kick return avg was 36 with 3 that were over 40

I'm not mentioning Maroney for obvious reasons but I just don't see how Welker is that "great" of a return guy. I mean, he would be a nice addition (assuming we don't overpay him) for a second round pick, but to me he's just another one of the return guys who might alternate duties. Receiving is another thing. I think he would be a very good WR for us, however, still not a deep threat we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes