PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantabrigian

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
So the Patriots have sown up the 4th seed and now face lightweight opposition in the Jets and the Dolphins. Does the coach start resting players in those games?

On the one hand, players have been very brittle this year and key players such as Brady (playing with a banged up leg) should be given a rest. It would be brilliant to get the tight ends back as well. I am also sure BB would also be keen on avoiding any future injuries to the secondary.

On the other hand, the team, especially the defence, have just started playing well together and disrupting this equilibrium could be deadly.

I say you play like it means something next week. THe final week you can take it a little easy, taking the starters out early and treating it ALMOST as a bye week. We're used to having 2 weeks before the first playoff game anyway

I'd like to rest Brady, 'though I doubt BB will. I want to see Flutie/Cassel next week and that's IT. Brady is nicked up NOW. This is when he needs the rest. Flutie on MNF would be pretty fun.

Given that Brady is wearing a knee brace for the game, I certainly think he should take some time off and get that rested. Being the fierce competitor that he is, I am sure he is going to be throwing his body into the fray come Monday and compounding that injury. He sounds pretty ticked that his block in the game against the Bills was flagged and I am sure he wouldn't mind having a go it again to show that he can! :D

OTOH I certainly hope he finishes the season with 4000+ yards and finishes as the top passer in the NFL. Even though he might have trouble catching Beldsoe's mark for the franchise record, being top of the NFL might actually get people to start giving him the recognition that he deserves. And the best thing is that Brady doesn't even care about his numbers. So I really want him to finish over Manning, a stats padder who does!

BB will keep his eye on the ultimate prize which is winning the Super Bowl. He knows the next two weeks do not matter with respect to wins and losses, just like preseason. He and his staff will spend part of each week watching film and taking notes on likely playoff opponents Jax, Indy, and Denver. I expect there will be a little game planning for the final two games but it will be from the book as he is very familiar with both the Jets and Dolphins. I also expect some of the nicked up and key guys will get a LOT of plays off.

rest players that are a but Knciked up and the big players on Defsne if we wrap the game up early.......

I think its important that we stay on a roll going into the playoffs.
This team is in the porcess of gelling, so I would not pull back.

Of course with these 2 games its possible we can coast by the 4th quarter, and I'd pull key starters when the game is decided.

If they play 3 quarters and lead 30-3, they done enough for that day.

IMO these next two games are treated as preseason games. work on some things, while keeping guys fresh. This week is nice because the guys get a couple extra days off between playing on Sat and then not till Monday night and not a long commute to NY. The team is definitly gelling right now and we dont want to mess with that. I hope to see the team get a 2 td lead with the starters in the first half and then pull back especially with the likes of brady

seymour just was asked that question on weei. basically said wants to play enough to stay in game shape and stay fresh, but obvisously said its not his call and he is sure bill will take the right approach.

You can be SURE that BB will do the right thing for his team.

I'm not 100% sure what that is, but I think keeping the team tight and building on the timing and camraderie that's developing among so many backup players is crucial. He might lighten up in practice but I think he'll expect his vets to play the games to the best of their ability.

Meanwhile, I'd be willing to bet that the Colts DO wind up resting players - and losing any momentum they have left (yes, at 13-1 they don't have the same momentum as the Patriots do right now)

In effect, with the bye, the Colts might effectively take the next 3 weeks or so off - trying to get a team restarted after such a layoff can pose its own challenges

If the Patriots could be fully healthy with Light and Harrison back for the playoffs, I might say rest all the starters - but this team doesn't have that luxury - they need to play the full season, start to finish, and as of now things are looking good to have them peak at the right time

I'd bet BB sees things the same way, and while he might keep Brady on a tight leash (no more naked bootlegs or runs into the endzone) he needs to ensure that the starters are not resting on their laurels, and will work to make sure they get better and better

Not too worried about the Jets game but the Dolphins should not be treated too light. (SD did that and look what happened). seeing that a loss against Miami doesn't change anything, would BB be willing to take a loss against them? The last the Pats lost to Miami in the season, they did move on to win the Super Bowl

AndyJohnson said:
I think its important that we stay on a roll going into the playoffs.
This team is in the porcess of gelling, so I would not pull back.

Of course with these 2 games its possible we can coast by the 4th quarter, and I'd pull key starters when the game is decided.

If they play 3 quarters and lead 30-3, they done enough for that day.

Agree. As Parcells used to say, "They're football players; it's what they do."

BB seems not into the whole it-doen't-count thing. I think you keep winning a habit. Since these are known teams, they should not need to prepare as much.

What I'll be curious to see is whether they

1. do everything plain vanilla,

2. continue to work on complexity in a game situation, especially at the DB position, or

3. show a bunch of flash to give other teams something to think about -- like double reverse flea flicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots