PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Contract negotiator for the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

SacPete1

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
With Bill Belichick and Nick Caserio away and this week being the final week before free agency, I was curious who is the contracts lead for the Patriots.

I know Floyd Reese had that part of this job description when he was here but I'm not aware of anyone that has a similar title and Michael Lombardi has a vague description.

Does anyone know?

Yes, I'm quite sure Bill is kept in the loop and has final say but I'm assuming he is not the actual lead.
Maybe he is but curious if anyone is aware of someone else...Miguel?

Caserio can negotiate directly with the agent via cell phone or email, just like negotiating a house. Belichick is there with him, can run any issues by him. Once agreed in principle, the Pats legal department will actually draw up the contract, likely starting with a generic template and customizing as needed. Those forms can be instantly emailed (or faxed, in Denver's case....) to the agent for final review before signing.

Casario can negotiate directly with the agent via cell phone or email, just like negotiating a house. Belichick is there with him, can run any issues by him. Once agreed in principle, the Pats legal department will actually draw up the contract, likely starting with a generic template and customizing as needed. Those forms can be instantly emailed (or faxed, in Denver's case....) to the agent for final review before signing.

I totally understand how practical it is to be away on a scouting trip while maintaining contract administration functions and I probably didn't preface my question clearly. I'm not suggesting that Cesario couldn't be the contract lead simply because he was away but the fact they are away made me realize I wasn't aware of who actually has that function.

Because they are dealing with a large sum of money, I think the Pats are being very careful with Revis.

Revis has Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod as his team. Keep in mind once Revis was cut by TB, they reached out to the Jets first and fielded higher offers than the Pats.

For the Pats, it was Jack Mula but I don't think he is still with the team. Not sure who it is now.

I think the overall back and forth has a central figure in NE but the overall framework, money, years, etc is a Bob/Jonathan/BB/Caserio discussion. I'm willing to bet that if the Pats want DR back badly and with the $$ amounts, Krafty Bob is involved in the negotiations.

I think in some ways it depends on who the player is. My understanding is that Kraft signs off on all contracts. However, the level of sign-off will vary. I'm guessing he's very heavily involved in Revis and McCourty for example - Jonathan possibly even being lead negotiator here (not sure). Whereas to resign Casillas, it's Caserio running it, with Belichick at the last second calling Kraft to say, "we're signing Casillas to a 1 year 1 mil deal, any issues?" But I don't know for certain.

I've heard Joker is in the loop somehow on all signings :)

I think in some ways it depends on who the player is. My understanding is that Kraft signs off on all contracts. However, the level of sign-off will vary. I'm guessing he's very heavily involved in Revis and McCourty for example - Jonathan possibly even being lead negotiator here (not sure). Whereas to resign Casillas, it's Caserio running it, with Belichick at the last second calling Kraft to say, "we're signing Casillas to a 1 year 1 mil deal, any issues?" But I don't know for certain.

Its a good question. The Krafts are on record as saying they hold their managers accountable and don't necessarily want to be involved- but always want to be informed.

There has to be some kind of checks-and -balances in place or budget guidelines that the working managers (BB, Caserio) need to adhere to,but when it gets to be big dollars I'm sure the Krafts get involved. Not sure what "big" is but it seemed to me Bob had a very intimate understanding of the Welker negotiations and that was nowhere close to Revis/Brady/Wilfork/Mankins $$.

I heard from a reliable Pats insider, Bobby Grier is involved in these negotiations.. on loan from the Texans.

The name Jack Mula rings a bell as the guy who took Floyd Reese's responsibilities. IIRC he was a former agent for a few of the Pats, who changed sides a few years back. But like many have said, with all the new technology available, I'm pretty sure everyone is up to day on what's going on with all the contracts.

At leas I hope so, I only have 2 more days for my Revis prediction to happen. :eek:

I heard from a reliable Pats insider, Bobby Grier is involved in these negotiations.. on loan from the Texans.
I dont want Notorious BG anywhere near this team.

The name Jack Mula rings a bell as the guy who took Floyd Reese's responsibilities. IIRC he was a former agent for a few of the Pats, who changed sides a few years back. But like many have said, with all the new technology available, I'm pretty sure everyone is up to day on what's going on with all the contracts.

At leas I hope so, I only have 2 more days for my Revis prediction to happen. :eek:
Mula left in 2008. Actually it was Reese who replaced Mula.

I wonder if Mike Lombardi is serving as go-between w/ the Revis camp?

Yes, I'm quite sure Bill is kept in the loop and has final say but I'm assuming he is not the actual lead.
Maybe he is but curious if anyone is aware of someone else...Miguel?

THIS is why I read Patsfans!!!

Who knew it was Miguel? :eek:

Saul Goodman

Mula left in 2008. Actually it was Reese who replaced Mula.

I wonder if Mike Lombardi is serving as go-between w/ the Revis camp?
Thanks for the info, I knew the name sounded familiar. So now we are back to the "who knows" mode. Lombardi sounds as good as anyone to view as the point man

Thanks for the info, I knew the name sounded familiar. So now we are back to the "who knows" mode. Lombardi sounds as good as anyone to view as the point man
Yea. He was an ex GM and according to BB wears many hats in the org. Who knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back