PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Contract Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not going to fail to re-sign Koppen because the center we might be able to draft will get a few extra practices.

So, we have the choice of extending Koppen, or waiting until free agency and draft one of the free agent centers (which could be Koppen. In anyc ase, we would still look for a center,

I know Light's replacement is here. We're talking about extending Koppen. Koppen's isn't here, unless BB thinks Wendell may be the guy.

Anyways, we didn't extend Light, we signed him as a free agent. The lock-out and rookie Solder not being with the team all summer gave the team a good reason to bring Light back.

Hope one of next year's 1st is a center. Bring Koppen back for one more year at least unless his injury effects him which I don't think it will.

I would like to pile on and say that I have no excitement for Guyton. He looks the part, but I cant for the life of me remember him making any noteworhty plays. (Unlike Ninko who seems to just get better and better)

BB will probably extend him, but my hope is that he disappears to be replaced by someone else with potential upside. We have already found Guytons top level in my opinion and it average.

thoughts?

To be fair Ninko doesn't have too many highlights either aside from those two sweet picks vs miami. Solid player though. Having said that Guyton's got to improve or I think he'll probably be gone next year unless someone else like edds doesn't play well.

The only one of these likely to be extended this year is Welker, as Mayo, Woodhead, and Chung are all signed through next year.

I agree with you that Welker should be the priority as his contract is up this year. We could always franchise Welker, but at his age I'd assume he wouldn't be happy with it as this is his last big contract. I've heard that unused cap money can be moved forward to the next year. Does anyone know if this is correct? Thanks.

1) Any money not used is moved forward, so there is no rush to use money now.

2) Welker likely would like one last big payday. A franchise tag would guarantee Welker a big payday for one year. I'm not sure that this would be a bad deal for him.

3) Sure, I would like to extend Welker now. But then, I always want to extend our vets if we can, one year before their contract is up.

I agree with you that Welker should be the priority as his contract is up this year. We could always franchise Welker, but at his age I'd assume he wouldn't be happy with it as this is his last big contract. I've heard that unused cap money can be moved forward to the next year. Does anyone know if this is correct? Thanks.

As far as the 2012 center goes, besides being an 'either re-sign Koppen or draft Brewster' debate, another option could be to have Connolly replace Koppen as the starting center, and Wendell replace Connolly as the backup interior lineman.

That wouldn't be my first choice, but the point is that the Pats are not in a position where they absolutely have to re-sign Koppen, nor are they in a position where they absolutely have to use a first round draft pick on a center.

So, in one week (half a game) Connolly has gone from a great backup guard to being a better starting center than Koppen? I'm going to ahve to watch the game again. I must have missed something important.

As far as the 2012 center goes, besides being an 'either re-sign Koppen or draft Brewster' debate, another option could be to have Connolly replace Koppen as the starting center, and Wendell replace Connolly as the backup interior lineman.

That wouldn't be my first choice, but the point is that the Pats are not in a position where they absolutely have to re-sign Koppen, nor are they in a position where they absolutely have to use a first round draft pick on a center.

I'd like to see Vollmer get extended, but I don't think it is pivotal that we give out extension. I rather see us save some money and maybe able to grab a top player at a position of need (DE, OLB) next year in free agency.

Last edited:
What is the CAP hit for Mayo for next year? (Rookie Contract)

BB may want to extend to reduce the CAP hit and retain Mayo for the long haul.
I think it gets done sooner rather then later, since they have the cap space.

I think business will be done differently with the new CBA.

With the new rookie wage scale there will be more $$$ for veteran extensions.

It also means that you trade up, not down in the draft because teams can better afford and risk less with elite players. Watch for Trader Bill to go get a top 5 pick for another top flight offensive lineman.

Yes, higher picks will be more valuable, likely mor valuable than the old trade charts. Under the old charts, the cost of a #5 picks would be about our 2 firsts plus a second. Belichick could do that, but it is unlikely.

It also means that you trade up, not down in the draft because teams can better afford and risk less with elite players. Watch for Trader Bill to go get a top 5 pick for another top flight offensive lineman.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Solder and Vollmer, Mankins and Cannon, I don't see why BB would trade up to grab a lineman. A center at the top of the draft? Next year I think they should look to trade up for WRs Blackmon or Floyd.

So, in one week (half a game) Connolly has gone from a great backup guard to being a better starting center than Koppen? I'm going to ahve to watch the game again. I must have missed something important.

1. The comment was in response to other comments looking forward to 2012, and not referring to 2011 Koppen v 2011 Connolly; there can be plenty of progressions and regressions between now and then. The list of examples (such as 2009 BJGE v 2010 BJGE) is endless.

2. The point I was making is that the Pats are not bound to commit to re-signing Koppen, nor are they bound to commit to drafting his replacement in the first round.

we cant extend all of these guys.

we need $$$ to lock up Hernandez and Gronkowski next season:)

sooner the better Mayo,Vollmer top 2 now

Welker Franchise or a fair 2-3 yr offer

Last edited:
With Solder and Vollmer, Mankins and Cannon, I don't see why BB would trade up to grab a lineman. A center at the top of the draft? Next year I think they should look to trade up for WRs Blackmon or Floyd.

Floyd has three DUIs and is almost always found at the bar getting ****-faced.

A lot more players on offense than on defense whose contracts expire at the end of this season:

Dan Koppen
Dan Connolly
Wes Welker
Deion Branch
BenJarvus Green-Ellis
Kevin Faulk
Matt Slater
Brian Hoyer
Ryan Wendell

Shaun Ellis
Andre Carter
Mark Anderson
Gary Guyton
Kyle Love

Last edited:
Floyd has three DUIs and is almost always found at the bar getting ****-faced.

But he's a beast. At this point I think he knows he needs to get it together. It has looked like he has a renewed focus, including slimming down a little to be smoother on the field and it looks like it has made him even better as he has been amazing. Mallett has the party boy reputation also and BB drafted him. Floyd has a lot of time here to clean up his act before the draft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back