Welcome to PatsFans.com

Contraception Without Co-pay

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Jul 19, 2011.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Is there nothing in last year's Affordable Care Act that people won't fight over?

The latest battle is set to come to a head Wednesday, when the independent Institute of Medicine is expected to make recommendations about preventive health care services for women. And one service that's drawing a lot of the attentions is contraception.

Depending on the group's recommendation, contraception could become part of a package of preventive benefits that every health plan would have to cover without patient cost-sharing. In other words, it would become effectively free.

Birth Control Without Copays Could Become Mandatory : Shots - Health Blog : NPR
  2. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm for it. Pretty sure the Catholic Church won't agree with me!

Wonder what the anti-abortion folks think about this?
  3. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

I understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't like the government mandating it, and I don't like the notion of "insurance" providing "free" routine prescriptions / services.

When did health insurance cease being true insurance and instead become sort of pre-pay covering everything related to healthcare?
  4. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I see where you are coming from but I get a "free" checkup every year as part of my health insurance plus a bunch of other things that I don't use.

Nothing is free as I pay for the Insurance.

Preventing an unwanted pregnancy by providing contraception will save Health Insurance Company's billions of dollars in the long run.

A quick Google search found that the average cost of childbirth was $7,600.00 in 2004.

http://www.emaxhealth.com/84/17339.html

From what I can gather the cost of the pill is between $40 and $50 a month. Even at $50 a month that is only $600 a year.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  5. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

That's why I put the free in quotes.

Healthcare is an interesting area. It's in everybody's best interest for people to take preventive measures, like annual checkups, and birth control is vital to avoiding unwanted pregnancies. But at the same time I believe people should pay for things -- even if it's not the entire cost, there should be some cost involved, so that people are aware of what those costs are. When the user of a good isn't the one paying for it, there's not necessarily any pricing pressure.

Plus, it's just generally undesirable to me for the government to force certain services into a contract between 2 private parties. And in the end, everybody who is insured pays for this.

(I guess if we wind up with everybody having health insurance, then everybody is sharing all costs as well, but I usually come back to the idea that if society wants something, society should pay for it rather than forcing it onto private parties (generally speaking -- but this doesn't apply to activities where the private parties are the source of the issue in the first place, like pollution, for ex).)
  6. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Your concerns are valid but I feel health care should be something that every American should have. We can argue all day about what should be "free" and what shouldn't be (plastic surgery, lap-band surgery, etc) but it all comes down to a citizen being able to get an anti-biotic without paying $500 for a visit to the Doctor.

The anti-Universal Health care crowd brings up articles from England, Canada and other Country's where there are waiting times for surgery. What they fail to mention is that private health care is available in all of those places, with private hospitals, and that the wait times for non life-threatening conditions in a public hospital isn't going to kill anyone.

I think Gramps can wait 3 months for his new hip!
  7. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Private care is illegal in Canada. That's why they come here.
  8. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Canada wasn't a good example. I'm not exactly an authority on the inner workings of the Canadian health care system

Prescription drugs are much cheaper in Canada. That's why millions of Americans break the law by ordering their drugs from our neighbour to the North.

I do know that private insurance is available in Australia, New Zealand and the UK.
  9. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

A wait time of a few months for diagnostic tests can be life threatening.
  10. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not having a wait time as you don't have insurance is probably a death sentence.
  11. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's a straw man. You can still get care without insurance.
  12. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

At the Emergency room?
  13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

The Tea Party Folks will jump up and down and shyt their pants on this one..

Women should not have any control over their bodies, they should just have self control and avoid intercourse...
  14. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There are some very fierce anti-abortion people who post here. I have yet to see them comment on the question I asked:

Life begins at conception right? What if there is no conception?
  15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Free condoms for everyone!

All I know is this plan is definately going to save us money. No doubt about it.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  16. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

Is it more of a strawman than some people having to wait for certain procedures, tests, etc.?
  17. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm going to guess that writing the above statement in magenta means you are being sarcastic?
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

;)

[​IMG]
  19. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +280 / 6 / -4

Seems like wise public policy to me.
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

You are not supposed to have intercourse, self control is the only way to salvation.. sayeth the American Taliban.