Contest: Straight-up Pick 'em

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try this for a while, so here goes:

The goal is simple--pick the winners of as many games as possible. No spreads, just straight up winners. (If you think Dallas beats Cleveland, pick Dallas.)

This week's games are:

Thursday:
Washington @ Giants

Sunday:
Detroit @ Atlanta
Cincinnati @ Baltimore
Seattle @ Buffalo
Jets @ Dolphins*
Kansas City @ New England
Tampa Bay @ New Orleans
St. Louis @ Philadelphia
Houston @ Pittsburgh
Jacksonville @ Tennessee
Dallas @ Cleveland
Carolina @ San Diego
Arizona @ San Francisco
Chicago @ Indianapolis
Minnesota @ Green Bay
Denver @ Oakland

The trick, though, is in the scoring: you get one point for every "player" who misses a particular game. A "player" is anyone who registers at least one pick that week. In addition, there will be two "guest" votes each week to add points to the pot:
(1) "Majority Rules"--the team that gets the larger number of votes gets an additional vote. [If it's split 50-50, the home team gets the vote.]
(2) "Guest Pundit"--the guest pundit will pick after all the games have been played, and will still get every pick wrong. :) [This is to ensure that every game is worth at least one point.] This week's "Guest Pundit" will be "Marshall Faulk."
Also, if you forget a pick, or decide not to pick a winner, you automatically get it wrong.

Example: 18 PatsFans posters play. 12 pick Seattle, 6 pick Buffalo. MajorityRules is an extra vote for Seattle. If Seattle wins, the players who pick Seattle each get 6 + 1 (for the Guest Pundit), or 7 points. If Buffalo wins, the players who pick Buffalo each get 12 + 1 (for Majority Rules) + 1 (for the GP), or 14 points. If the game ends up a tie, the game is thrown out, and no one earns points.

The picks are due by noon ET on Sunday. Note that games played on Thursday or Saturdays are BONUS games: if you pick them right, you get 10 points. If you pick them wrong, or miss the deadline, there's no penalty.

I want to do this all season long; I hope this goes well. :)

[Note: I edited to hopefully make this clearer.]

Last edited:
I have no Idea what you are talking about.

I just dont get how this works.

I have no Idea what you are talking about.

I just dont get how this works.

OK. The goal is to pick the winner of every game, no spreads. In other words, if you think KC beats NE, you pick KC. If you think NE wins, you pick NE.

The rest of the post is the scoring system (big rewards if you're willing to take a risk in a game with a heavy favorite, small rewards for making "obvious" picks).

As a simple example of what you need to do, here is my entry for this week.

Thursday:
Washington

Sunday:
Detroit
Cincinnati
Buffalo
Miami
New England
New Orleans
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Jacksonville
Dallas
San Diego
Arizona
Indianapolis
Minnesota
Denver

Last edited:
OK. The goal is to pick the winner of every game, no spreads. In other words, if you think KC beats NE, you pick KC. If you think NE wins, you pick NE.

The rest of the post is the scoring system (big rewards if you're willing to take a risk in a game with a heavy favorite, small rewards for making "obvious" picks).

As a simple example of what you need to do, here is my entry for this week.

Thursday:
Washington

Sunday:
Detroit
Cincinnati
Buffalo
Miami
New England
New Orleans
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Jacksonville
Dallas
San Diego
Arizona
Indianapolis
Minnesota
Denver

and what does the guest pundit do?

and are you actually getting these guys to pick for this game or do just find their picks on TV?

Dont completely get it but here are my picks

Washington
Detroit
Baltimore
Seattle
Jets
New England
New Orleans
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Jacksonville
Cleveland
San Diego
San Francisco
Indianapolis
Minnesota
Denver

and what does the guest pundit do?

and are you actually getting these guys to pick for this game or do just find their picks on TV?

It's a joke to poke fun at the mediots. "Marshall Faulk" will pick the loser of every game (after the game takes place, naturally). Thus, every correct pick earns at least one point.

Last edited:
It's a joke to poke fun at the mediots. "Marshall Faulk" will pick the loser of every game (after the game takes place, naturally). Thus, every correct pick earns at least one point.

wait so how many people pick a particular team makes the difference in the value of the pick???

Why don't we make it easier and use the yahoo system...it's easy to use and free. I set one up as a strait pick....no spread.

Link:

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/pickem

Group: #54759
Password: patsfans

If nobody's interested I'll just delete it.

Last edited:
i joined...this should be fun. I'll do this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes