Welcome to PatsFans.com

Contempt Vote on Holder for Fast and Furious,Obama invokes Executive Privilege

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by KDPPatsfan85, Jun 20, 2012.

1. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +194 / 7 / -30

#24 Jersey

Issa pushes ahead with Holder contempt vote despite Obama intervention | Fox News

I hope they vote this chooch out today!

Obama invokes executive privilege as Holder faces contempt vote - ABC News

Obviously, Obama is trying to hide that he was involved in this fast and furious scandal. This is not to cover Holder's butt, but to cover his own.

FLASHBACK 2007: Obama Attacked Trying "To Hide Behind Executive Privilege" - YouTube

Hypocrisy of Obama when Bush did this, it was a problem(Bush should of never used it).

This will not end well with Obama and an election year. No transparency like he promised when he was running. Holder saying this is moving forward because its all politics from the right. A Border Patrol agent was killed by America's own weapons. Time to take out the trash (Holder and Obama Administration).

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

We have a "Chicago Regime" running our country, God Willing it will end in November, I wish it were somebody other than Romney but anything is better than Obama.

3. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +915 / 6 / -9

Good. Glad to see them putting that 'tard Issa in his place.

4. Hebeill

Hebeill 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

President George W. Bush first asserted executive privilege to deny disclosure of sought details regarding former Attorney General Janet Reno,[2] the scandal involving Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) misuse of organized-crime informants James J. Bulger and Stephen Flemmi in Boston,

On July 9, 2007, Bush again invoked executive privilege to block a congressional subpoena requiring the testimonies of Taylor and Miers. Furthermore, White House Counsel Fred F. Fielding refused to comply with a deadline set by the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee to explain its privilege claim, prove that the president personally invoked it, and provide logs of which documents were being withheld.

On July 9, 2007, Bush again invoked executive privilege to block a congressional subpoena requiring the testimonies of Taylor and Miers. Furthermore, White House Counsel Fred F. Fielding

On August 1, 2007, Bush invoked the privilege in rejecting a subpoena for Karl Rove.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

Thats different.......:singing::singing::singing:

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

To be held in contempt does not mean a whole lot, except it is a slap on the wrist and makes great fodder for right wing blogs..

What happened to Harriet Myers and Karl Rove????

7. KDPPatsfan85

Ratings:
    +194 / 7 / -30

#24 Jersey

I never voted for Bush and I was against him using the executive privilege as I do now with Obama using it to cover his own ass! Its time to clean out the trash!

8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +463 / 12 / -14

Well Executive privilege involves conversations held by the President with members of the administration. The cases cited above where Bush invoked executive privilege are examples of this.

Also Executive privilege is usually invoked when the documents are requested, not after a year of delay where the documents subpoenaed by congress weren't turned over.

Also Holder and Obama have both said publicly that Holder didn't discuss Fast and Furious with Obama during the time frame the requested documents covered. So if the President wasn't involved there is no executive privilege involved.

This smells of a Nixon type cover up. If Executive privilege is applicable here Obama and Holder have both been lying about Fast and Furious, in Holders case it was perjury in testimony to congress. Which is another can of worms for the administration.

So perjury by Holder and cover up? Certainly Holder has made

Obama lying about his involvement in Fast and Furious.

The USSC may have to decide.

9. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

Ignoring the executive privilege claim that ALL Presidents invoke, this President claims to have not been told about the operation until afterward but the invoking of the privilege gives the appearance that perhaps he was briefed before and is trying to keep it under wraps. Some might even claim that it smells of a coverup. The irony is that it comes just a day or two after the 40th anniversary of another coverup, Watergate......
    Dems will claim witchhunt and Reps will claim that it is a coverup.. such is life in DC....

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

Were you old enough???

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

12. KDPPatsfan85

Ratings:
    +194 / 7 / -30

#24 Jersey

Yes I was for Bush's second term. I voted for Kerry than Bush. I do have the tendency to vote over party lines because I educate myself on the candidates than voting D or R. I properly vet candidates!

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

I am sure you do... have you vetted Romney and wondered why no one in his family has ever served in the Military??? Or did you miss that???

14. KDPPatsfan85

Ratings:
    +194 / 7 / -30

#24 Jersey

What has Romney or his family have to do with serving in the military? Obama never served in the military, why havent you questioned that?

For Romney, I dont see him as a true conservative. The guy is a moderate not conservative. There are some policies I dont agree with, but he will be better than Obama.

15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +463 / 12 / -14

What did Obama know and when did he know it?

If Obama wasn't involved there is NO Executive privilege.

16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

The Constitutional Lawyer Doth Spaketh!!!!

Bush invoked Executive Privilege 6 times
    Clinton invoked Executive Privilege 14 times
    Bush I invoked it 1 time
    Ronnie Raygun invoked it 3 times...

It is not something that never happens, remember Harriet Myers.. who would have thunk that this works both ways...

17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +591 / 24 / -19

There is executive privilege if it involves the executive branch of the government. I do not blame Obama for not trusting Issa. That guy is not interested in the truth; he only wants evidence to frame his preconceptions.

ThinkProgress

But there are two types of executive privilege: the robust “presidential communications privilege” and the more limited “deliberative process privilege.” The White House may invoke the latter to apply to executive branch officials outside of the president’s inner circle, as long as they were involved with the government’s decision-making process. Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, and George W. Bush all asserted executive privilege in matters not involving presidential communications. And Bush Administration Attorney General Michael Mukasey invoked the same “deliberative process privilege” as recently as 2008, rejecting congressional subpoenas for reports of Department of Justice interviews with the White House staff regarding the Valerie Plame Wilson identify leak investigation.

Furthermore, the very man behind the witch-hunt against Holder, Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA), has in the past recognized that same privilege for Bush administration deliberations.

18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +463 / 12 / -14

Of course Senator Obama railed against executive privilege in 2007:

Obama In 2007: Executive Privilege Is "Subject To Abuse" | RealClearPolitics

So Obama was against executive peivilege before he was for it, very Kerry of him.

Meanwhile Holder had to retract another statement made under oath to congress.

Holder retracts claim Bush team knew about Fast and Furious | WashingtonExaminer.com

They are hiding the document because Obama was involved and Holder lied to congress about it. Obama lied to the American people about it, they have the Blood of Brian Terry on thier hands along with a DEA agent and hundred of innocent MExicans.

The Terry family continued to be punished by the Administration by not telling the truth about B Terry's murder:

Brian Terry family

Terrible of Obama and Holder to put the Terry family through this.

19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Romney was a draft dodger while his classmates went to Vietnam.
    Obama was 13 years old in 1974.

Mitt Romney - Vietnam War Draft Dodger - YouTube

20. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +915 / 6 / -9

No offense, but the fact that you apparently believe everything you read on the Internet, no matter how self-evidently dubious (yay, Ulsterman Report!), kind of belies what you just wrote.

Oh, and the fact that you're a birther. That, too.