Welcome to PatsFans.com

Consumer Reports' 'Best Cars of 2007' Lists All Japanese Cars

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Mar 2, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/autos/0702/gallery.consumer_reports_top_picks/11.html

"This year's Consumer Reports Top Picks are all vehicles produced by Japanese companies. This is actually the second year in a row that that's been the case. In the 10 years that Consumer Reports has produced annual "Top Picks" lists, it's the fifth time there have been no American cars among them."

NASCAR country must be going nuts over this. They will buy Fords and Chevys until the day they die.

2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

This is something that has pissed me off about Detroit for the past 30 years, when the Japanese started making cars that were built to better tolerances and with more attention to details that people wanted in their cars. Detroit always made pretty strong cars -- the old flat 6's and V-8's were virtually bullet-proof -- but they kept making such pure crap from the 70's on, with so many defects and such poor quality control.

Then, when they got that improved, their design has been atrocious. The Japanese have led the way in designing and engineering cars better in *overall* quality for a long time.

Personally, I think the automotive industry got hijacked by the UAW a long time ago, and the manufacturers have never been able to catch up. So, you got guys making $30/hour for putting on a few bolts, but when they have to do it for hours on end, the quality is bound to go down. Then, they went to robotics and that just meant fewer jobs.

The US auto industry is in a bad way and playing catch-up to foreign car manufacturers now. Used to be the other way around. Big mistake, and now a big loss to America.

//

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

This is not surprising. I'd say the Union has something to do with it, but a lot of the blame has to go around for our once proud auto industry.

Its like the NBA. We invent the game, start going flashy with the Diunks and no lok passes (SUV) while the exported game relies on fundamentals, and quality.

Pretty soon we lose the gold medal, and everyone is shocked.

4. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Good analogy. Great analogy. What's it gonna take!!

//

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Yao, Dirk, Nash.....they all need a guest worker program.

6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Big-3 American car makers are pretty hypocritical over the whole thing. They prey on our patriotism to buy and drive American, and all the while they move their factories to Mexico. Meanwhile, Japanese manufacturers (Honda and Toyota) have each opened up factories recently here in the good ole' U.S. of A.

The day is rapidly approaching (if it isn't already here) where Japanese car companies employ more American factory workers than Ford/Chevy/Dodge.

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 9 / -13

THe big 3 made some really bad deals with the UAW in the 50's & 60's now the crows are coming home to roost.

8. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

We should not allow consumer reports to degrade our country in a time of war. Free speech should have limits.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +829 / 7 / -2

Unions, terrible designs, and an overall inferior product are to blame. I'll say this though, I've read that some of the newest model american vehicles are pretty good. The Lincoln Mercury vehicles, and the Fushion from Ford got real good marks. The problem is that with 10+ years of bad vehicles, who's going to notice?

I drive American BTW. I bought a '93 Sentra when I was 19 (new) after having a, '86 Buick Skyhawk for 3 years. Talk about a lemon. That Buick sucked. Anyhow, I then bought a '96 Infiniti off my Mom, which was one unbelievable car. Turn the key and go. Never a problem. I now drive an '04 Grand Cherokee. I love the thing. It's had 2 recalls though in the 1 1/2 years I've owned it. Not sure if it had others when the first owner had it.

10. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

An example of the mentality and xenophobia of NASCAR country towards Japanese cars:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/17/o...f9f6e5c5c&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

"It’s the Daytona 500, the kickoff to the Nascar season, and for the first time in Nascar’s history Dodge, Chevy and Ford will be joined by ... Toyota. Japan’s biggest car company, which is poised to overtake General Motors as the largest car manufacturer in the world, has entered the hallowed tracks and pit rows of that most American of race circuits, the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing. But to hear some Nascar fans talk, when those engines fire up it will be Dec. 7, 1941, all over again.

The war metaphors have been brought to the fore by Jack Roush, a prominent racing team owner. Other Nascar columnists, pundits and fans, even a Web site dedicated to being “against racing Toyotas,” have chimed in against the auto maker’s entry into Nascar.

One person wrote that “we don’t need any foreign nameplate in Nascar.” Others have taken up the “if you love them so much go live in Japan” theme and, curiously, wondered that if the Iraqis built a car would drivers of Japanese cars “become fans of the terrorists?”

The drivers hired by Toyota have been subject to the same opprobrium. Dale Jarrett, whom Nascar has named one of the 50 greatest drivers in its history, has been called a sell-out. Michael Waltrip, a Daytona winner, has been invited to “leave America” with his Japanese truck. (His recent woes at Daytona, including accusations that his team was cheating during qualifying, have only increased the vitriol.) Nor have the up-and-comers Brian Vickers and Jeremy Mayfield been spared. In blogs and on fan sites all have been characterized as traitors for driving “rice burners.”"

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +829 / 7 / -2

I love those people. They are so funny. I heard a guy on the radio say to another once:

"When you go to that NASCAR race, just remember, the girls with the black eyes are the ones that are taken"

:D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  12. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Lol, just when you start to think that we have some bigots on this forum, we're reminded of what true bigots are like.

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +977 / 2 / -9

I am not a "Race Car Fan", but I couldn't believe some of the things the politically correct liberals and moonbats were saying about these NASCAR people on the news last night simply because they wanted to build a new track in their state, if these things were said about the NBA people American City's would be burning and their would be riots across the country.

The double standard of the politically correct phony liberals is mind boggling.

I don't remember the NASCAR drivers being in the kind of trouble that Basketball, Football and Baseball players get into, they just seem to be doing their thing and minding their buisness.

But:
    We all know the real reason that NASCAR is disliked by the slobbering phony politically correct holy
    do-gooder though, don't we :rocker:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  14. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Face it: the bottom line is the bottom line. When workers in the U.S. auto industry are demanding $30 and hour to put on bolts -- and getting it, plus time and a half or double time for any more than 32 hours a week -- while people in other countries are quite content to work for one third of that, push comes to shove.

The UAW thought they were winning, but sometimes when you win, you lose.

//

15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +707 / 20 / -30

It is easy to bash the Unions and provide anecdotal evidence about how they have "corrupted" the auto industry in the Detroit/Gary area. But in reality the Executive Officers of the big three have also be siphoning off big bucks from this industry into their pockets as well. The lack of leadership, retooling and innovation by the overall industry has not been very beneficial.

It is easier to just close down plants, send them to Mexico instead of looking at ways to make the jobs more efficient and innovative technology. No one from Detroit came up with the Prius technology, instead they would much rather build big SUV's.

16. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Oh, good point about executives pulling down nine figure incomes, not to mention golden parachutes. Bad leadership produces bad followers.

Any way you slice it, though, as long as it costs as much as it does to produce cars in the U.S., other nations will be filling the gap.

There's an "equalization" of income that is going to take place on a global scale over the next several decades. Hang on!!

//

17. jczxohn1

jczxohn1 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Just bought the wife a Honda Fit to replace her PT Cruiser. Slightly smaller, but the backseats fold down level, 50% better mileage. (31-37) Took it for a ride today and was pleasantly surprised.