PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Constructive defensive thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote for you to be hired as the coach of our biggest competition.

So if you were the HC of the opposition you wouldn't almost abandon the run and just throw all day on this secondary?

Do you really think this secondary can stop the majority of 40 or 50 passes to be completed from even the most average of QBs? :rolleyes:

I swear that some of you clowns were sleeping in games when FitzPutrid and HOF QB Russell Wilson were slicing and dicing their way into the wide open receivers almost at will in the second halves of those games,hell even all world Mark Sanchez to all pro Jeremy Kerley looked like Montana to Rice earlier this year.

Be a homer if you will,but if you think an opposing offense that throws much more instead of running would not be successful in a high rate of completions,you might want to go back to sleep and finish that dream.

Clowns like you would laugh if your most hated team in the NFL had this secondary...lets not be hypocritical shall we?

All us fans here better hope that Talib is the second coming of Deion Sanders or Brady will need to continue putting up 30 or 40 every game to win.

Last edited:
Well, since no other team is suited to win when you take away their best pieces, I guess this isn't such a relevant worry.

Last time I looked,a QB named TJ Yates won a few important games and took his team into the playoffs when not only did the #1 QB go down,but the #2 as well....the same for Pittsburgh who were still winning when Roethlisberger was out and Batch stepped in.

If you are going to win you also must step up when your best player is struggling...are you really that confident that the team will win if Brady has one of those WTF games?

Brady is once again carrying the team on his shoulders and winning the majority of games because he is that good .

Last time I looked,a QB named TJ Yates won a few important games and took his team into the playoffs when not only did the #1 QB go down,but the #2 as well....the same for Pittsburgh who were still winning when Roethlisberger was out and Batch stepped in.

If you are going to win you also must step up when your best player is struggling...are you really that confident that the team will win if Brady has one of those WTF games?

Brady is once again carrying the team on his shoulders and winning the majority of games because he is that good .
I'll give you one think PFP, you are a whiner of EPIC proportions. Is the grass ALWAYS greener on the other team's lawn. According to you its a miracle that the Patriots ever get to .500. Frankly its getting tiresome. What ever are you going to do with yourself when things start to improve and the wins keep coming. :rolleyes:

I'll give you one think PFP, you are a whiner of EPIC proportions. Is the grass ALWAYS greener on the other team's lawn. According to you its a miracle that the Patriots ever get to .500. Frankly its getting tiresome. What ever are you going to do with yourself when things start to improve and the wins keep coming. :rolleyes:

Wins in NE are made by the offense scoring in bunches and outscoring the opponent...Your lecture has nothing to do with that nor does it have to do with winning or losing,its focused on why teams don't just go pass crazy on this secondary more than they do.

My point is Brady has to counter point for point with opponents because their offenses can't be stopped 90% of the time.

If you don't get my point about opposing teams should pass nearly every down then you have no idea of what this argument is about.

Most all of the wins this season will be by the offense outscoring the opponent's offense....I think we would all like to see more of the game against the Rams then those 4th quarter heart attacks we are subject to this year.

I am not whining,I am simply dumbfounded of why other teams don't utilize this glaring weakness more often......and you know what?,I am glad they don't because our current record would be worse.

Last edited:
COACHING MATTERS
How is that Scar coaches up the defensive line, doing great with JAG's, and the defensive back coaches fail?

RUN DEFENSE MATTERS
If running backs are average 7 yards a carry, a mediocre secondary has little chance.

PASS RUSH MATTERS (BUT NOT AS MUCH AS RUN DEFENSE)
If an nil quality quarterback has forever to throw, he will do well against a mediocre defense, especially one with linebackers that are relatively poor in coverage.

BOTTOM LINE
The front seven didn't play very well against Buffalo. The secondary looked worse than it is, and it is bad. However, one must note that we are good enough to be 6-3 and will win our division. The open question is how competitive we will be during the playoffs against Houston, Denver, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Indy. At the moment, I don't even want to consider what Green Bay or Atlanta might do to our defense.

COACHING MATTERS
How is that Scar coaches up the defensive line, doing great with JAG's, and the defensive back coaches fail?

RUN DEFENSE MATTERS
If running backs are average 7 yards a carry, a mediocre secondary has little chance.

PASS RUSH MATTERS (BUT NOT AS MUCH AS RUN DEFENSE)
If an nil quality quarterback has forever to throw, he will do well against a mediocre defense, especially one with linebackers that are relatively poor in coverage.

BOTTOM LINE
The front seven didn't play very well against Buffalo. The secondary looked worse than it is, and it is bad. However, one must note that we are good enough to be 6-3 and will win our division. The open question is how competitive we will be during the playoffs against Houston, Denver, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Indy. At the moment, I don't even want to consider what Green Bay or Atlanta might do to our defense.

What the team does at home against Houston and SF in back to back games will define pretty much of what we will see when the playoffs come about.

Those two teams mean serious business in serach of the #1 seed in their respective conferences and how the Pats react in those games may give us a slight indication of whether they are a contender or pretender when its a one and done scenerio in january.

Last edited:

Look, the defense can get better. In fact, I expect it to improve in the playoffs. But, right now, what we saw on Sunday and have been witnessing all season has been a defensive atrocity.

The offense continues to carry this team. I'll take wins anyway I can get them, but I am a fan of defense. I like to see defensive domination. I enjoy watching opposing team's struggle on offense.

Look, the defense can get better. In fact, I expect it to improve in the playoffs. But, right now, what we saw on Sunday and have been witnessing all season has been a defensive atrocity.

The offense continues to carry this team. I'll take wins anyway I can get them, but I am a fan of defense. I like to see defensive domination. I enjoy watching opposing team's struggle on offense.

Couldn't have said it better myself

And who in here thought last week was going to be another 4th quarter choke?.....most likely answer is 'everyone in here'.

The Rams game was a nice relaxing game,those kind are nice to watch but rare the past 2 years.

Talib can't be anything but a help to the secondary,even if he turns out to be not very good....at least that is encouraging news.

Better 7.9 yards a carry than what would happen if they threw the ball.

Which is why they passed more. we have a high scoring offense and secondary problems, but i have no doubt Spiller would be happy to cover 80 yards in less than ten seconds to make all you hyperbole addicted posters see that as a real option.

I haven't given up on anything

Yes you have
This isn't a fairy tale movie or some fantasy game,this is reality,the defense is a sieve and even if Talib helps out it will remain a sieve until Belichick decides to put some proven SOLID veteran FA talent back there to help out with the young guys and maybe get lucky for once and pick up a stud DB in next years draft,Gregory is a scrub and is not a vet the team needs to turn it around,it needs a playmaker at DB to start and are going to have to open the pocketbook to do so

The improvement of this secondary begins with the offseason

Yes you have

You don't seem to grasp my point.

Let me explain it to you slllllowwwlllllllllyyyyyy

The offense is the hope to score more than 30 in the playoffs to win ...the defense cannot stop a playoff team offense,they simply have too much suckage in the secondary to handle better offenses.

Talib is a glimmer of hope that only half the field of the secondary may suck by January instead of a complete abomination.

We all know the offense is loaded for a deep playoff push....all questions are on defense.

You can blame the defense for not getting the ball to the offense enough. The time of possession in that game was atrocious.

The two turnovers certainly didn't help. We had two long TD drives (96 yards in 3:55 and 79 yards in 3:40) and failed to score another point after that Hernandez TD. Does the fact that our O could score that quickly mean that the Giants' D was better? We then had: 3-and-out, five play drive ending in a pick on 1st down, a wasted 11 play drive ending in a punt and then the eight play drive to end the game.

We punted three times. The Giants punted four times.

I think there is plenty of blame to go around. In the end, the hurry-up offense played into that TOP disparity.

So if you were the HC of the opposition you wouldn't almost abandon the run and just throw all day on this secondary?
Of course not, that would be stupid.

Do you really think this secondary can stop the majority of 40 or 50 passes to be completed from even the most average of QBs? :rolleyes:
No secondary really can these days. The point is if you abandon the run and only throw you allow them to strengthen themselves.

I swear that some of you clowns were sleeping in games when FitzPutrid and HOF QB Russell Wilson were slicing and dicing their way into the wide open receivers almost at will in the second halves of those games,hell even all world Mark Sanchez to all pro Jeremy Kerley looked like Montana to Rice earlier this year.
I bet you felt really cool typing that.

Be a homer if you will,but if you think an opposing offense that throws much more instead of running would not be successful in a high rate of completions,you might want to go back to sleep and finish that dream.
So instead of having a good argument you have to dismiss opposing viewpoints with silly labels? How is the stupidity of your game plan related in any way to a homer attitude?

Clowns like you would laugh if your most hated team in the NFL had this secondary...lets not be hypocritical shall we?
OBligatory childish insult nothwithstanding, what is the point of this?
My opinion of your strategy would be the same no matter what defense you are talking about.

All us fans here better hope that Talib is the second coming of Deion Sanders or Brady will need to continue putting up 30 or 40 every game to win.
That, of course, makes no sense either.

What are you talking about?
The Texans lost in the divisional round. The defense 'carried' them only that far. Your example proves what I said, not what you did.
Roethlisberger missed one game vs the 2-14 Rams. I'm pretty sure we would beat a 2-14 team with Mallet at QB, so again you are making no sense.

Back to the question, who does? What team wins when their best player plays poorly? Actually, the Patriots probably win more of those than any other team.
Repeating that you think a team should win when their best player plays poorly is not an example of one that ever has.

As is what happens with every dominant team. Again, can you give any example of teams that win when their biggest strength fails them?

What are you talking about?
The Texans lost in the divisional round. The defense 'carried' them only that far. Your example proves what I said, not what you did.
Roethlisberger missed one game vs the 2-14 Rams. I'm pretty sure we would beat a 2-14 team with Mallet at QB, so again you are making no sense.

Back to the question, who does? What team wins when their best player plays poorly? Actually, the Patriots probably win more of those than any other team.
Repeating that you think a team should win when their best player plays poorly is not an example of one that ever has.

As is what happens with every dominant team. Again, can you give any example of teams that win when their biggest strength fails them?

Andy,the dreck you spew daily is normal and a response will not lead into 4 more pages of dreck and your famous 'I'm right and you're wrong approach to topics' :rolleyes:

I'll pass and move on to more important matters,got better things to discuss,besides your views have been and always will be in a mirror with one view.

Besides,I am correct and you are wrong :cool:...the premise here is pass just about all day on this secondary and you will win 90% of the time,they have no answers for most passing attacks.......enuff said here...have a nice evening

That defense gave up 19 points in the SB. That should have been enough to win. You can't blame the D for:

1. A safety on the first offensive play
2. Brady and Welker failing to connect on the same play that was a
99 yard TD in Week 1
3. Tom throwing a deep pick to a crippled tight end
4. Multiple dropped passes

Eli had one TD in the game. They allowed Bradshaw to score to get the ball back. I hardly call that "getting shredded".

LOL did you see how sad the defense looked when they found out they had to go back on the field
oh here it is
PatsBench.gif

This doesn't look like a confident defense.......Rodney-teddy-vrabel didn't do this when mcnabb was leading the eagles down the field.

Last edited:
Andy,the dreck you spew daily is normal and a response will not lead into 4 more pages of dreck and your famous 'I'm right and you're wrong approach to topics' :rolleyes:

I'll pass and move on to more important matters,got better things to discuss,besides your views have been and always will be in a mirror with one view.

Besides,I am correct and you are wrong :cool:...the premise here is pass just about all day on this secondary and you will win 90% of the time,they have no answers for most passing attacks.......enuff said here...have a nice evening

Nice to see you realize you are wrong and resort to immaturity rather than admitting it. You haven't changed.

The secondary is awful.

The front 7 is solid against the run.

The linebackers are borderline terrible in coverage.

Coaching's not the problem.

There's still time for improvement.

Brady is the G.O.A.T.

Pay Welker.

The Jets suck.

I think that about covers it.

Last edited:
The secondary is awful.

The front 7 is solid against the run.

The linebackers are borderline terrible in coverage.

Coaching's not the problem.

There's still time for improvement.

Brady is the G.O.A.T.

Pay Welker.

The Jets suck.

I think that about covers it.

I'll buy that, pretty much. That's constructive analysis for a snapshot in time IMO.

LOL did you see how sad the defense looked when they found out they had to go back on the field
oh here it is
http://cjzero.com/gifs/PatsBench.gif

This doesn't look like a confident defense.......Rodney-teddy-vrabel didn't do this when mcnabb was leading the eagles down the field.
Here you go spinning things again. What's the correct reaction to Welker not catching that ball?

"Woohoo! I get to go play defense again rather than just winning right now!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey