PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Considering Every TD is Automatically Reviewed, Should Refs Award TD on close plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Should the refs if its close simply award a TD? For example if someone is maybe tackled at the 2 or 1 yard line after a long run or pass, but its close i think at this point it should just be a TD, and if its not no big deal, just move it back

also, coaches should be able to challenge a TD even after reviewed if they still do not agree with the call, which i think was an issue in the jags game with MJD

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Considering Every TD is Automatically Reveiwed

Should the refs if its close simply award a TD? For example if someone is maybe tackled at the 2 or 1 yard line after a long run or pass, but its close i think at this point it should just be a TD, and if its not no big deal, just move it back

also, coaches should be able to challenge a TD even after reviewed if they still do not agree with the call, which i think was an issue in the jags game with MJD

As the system currently works, heck no.

Case in point: a play where the play clearly SHOULD have been flagged for review—the runner was very, VERY close to going OOB around the 2 (I think he did, in fact)—was left to stand b/c the person responsible for flagging it didn't see any need to review it.

With all these plays being replayed, why do we have any refs in the first place?

With all these plays being replayed, why do we have any refs in the first place?

So that the NFL can directly influence the outcome of games.

Are you seriously suggesting someone tackled at the 2 yardline should be awarded a touchdown?

i initially had the same thought. but after thinking about it for a while, you cannot do that because if there is not enough video evidence to overturn, the tie goes to the initial call on the field. that was unfairly benefit the offense

Just a quick question, it is only reviewed if the call on the field is a TD and then the coaches have no chance to challenge. But if it is not called a TD then it is up to the coach to challenge the call.

Just a quick question, it is only reviewed if the call on the field is a TD and then the coaches have no chance to challenge. But if it is not called a TD then it is up to the coach to challenge the call.

Also true.

They say they are reviewing them all, but I don't think they are. There were several TDs that were questionable but there was no delay before the PAT. Darren Sproles comes to mind.

That is insane. Calls should always be made with an ernest attempt to get it right the first time.

Why would a coach challenge something where they'll simply look at the same video again. If they've made their ruling on the call once, they will never change it.

No. Just no. There are no mulligans in the NFL. No awards of free TDs for being 'close'.

No double reviews for coaches. that would totally bog down the replay system. Just no.

Last edited:

No, no, absolutely not. The officials on the field need to make what they believe is the correct call on the field rather than start saying 'I don't want to make a call, let's just look at the replay'.

Now if you want to tweak it to say the replay official can call down to have the ref make a review on a call that would have been a touchdown (as opposed to the coach having to use a challenge), that might be worth considering.

Granted in this situation the referee on the field has not done a full review (only the replay judge upstairs), but if there was any doubt then the official upstairs would have (or should have) sent it down to the ref to have him review it.

im not saying call a non-TD a TD, im saying if the guy is sort of rolling and sliding, and the ref is not sure whether it is a TD or not, call it a TD, and have the automatic replay take care of it

personally, I hate instant replay. Get better refs. The game is too slow as it is.

As the system currently works, heck no.

Case in point: a play where the play clearly SHOULD have been flagged for review—the runner was very, VERY close to going OOB around the 2 (I think he did, in fact)—was left to stand b/c the person responsible for flagging it didn't see any need to review it.

Was that the Sproles run? (his foot was out but they didn't even review it)

im not saying call a non-TD a TD, im saying if the guy is sort of rolling and sliding, and the ref is not sure whether it is a TD or not, call it a TD, and have the automatic replay take care of it
I don't agree, but it is personal opinion and preference. I think the current system is fine.

It's 1st and goal on the one. What if you have three straight plays that could be deemed questionable. Do you stop the game and review after each play and give the offense and defense a 2 minute breather and a commercial break each time?

I say let the guys on the field make the call and if it is a TD review it, which they are doing. Who makes the call as to if the ref is sure or not or if it should be reviewed? The ref? The booth? I understand your point but I think it would encourage laziness on refereeing.

Last edited:

I don't agree, but it is personal opinion and preference. I think the current system is fine.

It's 1st and goal on the one. What if you have three straight plays that could be deemed questionable. Do you stop the game and review after each play and give the offense and defense a 2 minute breather and a commercial break each time?

I say let the guys on the field make the call and if it is a TD review it, which they are doing. Who makes the call as to if the ref is sure or not or if it should be reviewed? The ref? The booth? I understand your point but I think it would encourage laziness on refereeing.

ill take the laziness over the ineptness shown at times, especially so this season....for one reason or another NFL refs suck, its not even one or two crews anymore...its the whole damn lot of them

anything to keep the game away from their effect

Re: Considering Every TD is Automatically Reviewed, Should Refs Award TD on close pla

I actually think there is some space in the rules for a "benefit of the doubt and let replay sort it out" call in football.

But the only place I would allow this is where reconstruction after an overtun on review would be made more difficult or potentially impossible by not making the benefit of the doubt call.

To be more concrete, even if an official thinks a runner is down by contact, or that a fumble has not occurred, the better course if it is close is to hold the whistle and let it play out, even though that has consequences -- for example, letting the clock run when it should stop in a late and close game because you let the play go forward intstead of immediately ruling it a fumble.

In this circumstance, if you blow the whistle and stop action (e.g., have the running back toss the ball back to you when it's actually still a live ball), you get very difficult reconstruction scenarios. Same with fumble/non-fumble, and I think refs are actually trained in those circumstances to let it play out, see what happens, and let replay do its job if you got the call wrong.

But I don't think the TD/no-TD call is a tough reconstruction, so I would be very opposed to any rule that tells refs not to try to make the absolute best call they can on the field. I agree that it's a discrepancy that the rule does not provide for booth review of very close plays that might be touchdowns that are called non-touchdowns, but I think telling refs to make calls they don't believe is far worse than that inequity -- coaches still can use challenges on those plays except in the end of the half and game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes