Welcome to PatsFans.com

Conservatives Are More Generous than Liberals

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Is anyone outside of the liberal world surprised by these findings? I'm certainly not. Obviously this doesn't speak of individuals, but the general group. I for one, have always agreed with Mike Savage that liberalism is a mental disorder and that its followers are hypocrites on a monumental scale. I think liberalism is fine for some activist group to practice, but has no place in government policy. Just as I feel that religion has no place in government, I feel that emotion doesn't either. To me, liberalism is emotionally based, and is the religion of athiests. Religion=emotion, emotion=liberalism, niether should have a place in government.

My 2 cents.

Philanthropy Expert: Conservatives Are More Generous

By Frank Brieaddy
    Religion News Service

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Syracuse University professor Arthur C. Brooks is about to become the darling of the religious right in America -- and it's making him nervous.

The child of academics, raised in a liberal household and educated in the liberal arts, Brooks has written a book that concludes religious conservatives donate far more money than secular liberals to all sorts of charitable activities, irrespective of income.

In the book, he cites extensive data analysis to demonstrate that values advocated by conservatives -- from church attendance and two-parent families to the Protestant work ethic and a distaste for government-funded social services -- make conservatives more generous than liberals.

It continues...

"These are not the sort of conclusions I ever thought I would reach when I started looking at charitable giving in graduate school, 10 years ago," he writes in the introduction. "I have to admit I probably would have hated what I have to say in this book."

Still, he says it forcefully, pointing out that liberals give less than conservatives in every way imaginable, including volunteer hours and donated blood.

Harvey Mansfield, professor of government at Harvard University and 2004 recipient of the National Humanities Medal, does not know Brooks personally but has read the book.

"His main finding is quite startling, that the people who talk the most about caring actually fork over the least," he said. "But beyond this finding I thought his analysis was extremely good, especially for an economist. He thinks very well about the reason for this and reflects about politics and morals in a way most economists do their best to avoid."

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/204/story_20419_1.html