Welcome to PatsFans.com

Conservatives are childhood whiners!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +160 / 4 / -4

Remember the whiny, insecure kid in nursery school, the one who always thought everyone was out to get him, and was always running to the teacher with complaints? Chances are he grew up to be a conservative.

At least, he did if he was one of 95 kids from the Berkeley area that social scientists have been tracking for the last 20 years. The confident, resilient, self-reliant kids mostly grew up to be liberals.

The study from the Journal of Research Into Personality isn't going to make the UC Berkeley professor who published it any friends on the right. Similar conclusions a few years ago from another academic saw him excoriated on right-wing blogs, and even led to a Congressional investigation into his research funding.

But the new results are worth a look. In the 1960s Jack Block and his wife and fellow professor Jeanne Block (now deceased) began tracking more than 100 nursery school kids as part of a general study of personality. The kids' personalities were rated at the time by teachers and assistants who had known them for months. There's no reason to think political bias skewed the ratings — the investigators were not looking at political orientation back then. Even if they had been, it's unlikely that 3- and 4-year-olds would have had much idea about their political leanings.

emphasis added by me.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...geid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1142722231554

This makes sense. A lot of conservatives are insecure people who to cover up that fact by acting tough from the comfort of their homes. While there are many brave conservatives, isn't it pretty obvious that people like Bush (who signed up, but intentionally avoided Vietnam), Limbaugh, O'Reilly, and others are sort of whiny loudmouths whose idea of courage is sending someone else off to die? Just look at the people on this board who whine about NEM and in months past Zuma, Seymour93, and others. Harry is constantly whining about liberals hating Bush. Most of the whining comes from conservatives, further supporting to the findings of the study. Fascinating.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 1 / -9

Berkeley :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  3. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Berkley shmerkley, but why are you so insecure?
  4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +328 / 1 / -9

Does anyone in their right mind think that anyone in Berkley would have anything good to say about a "conservative" :bricks:
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Either you have something to say about the substance of the study or you don't. I don't care if a study comes from the moon if its methods are valid.
  6. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The "self-confidence and resilience" stems from the fact that the children of liberals teach them early on not to worry, the government will take care fo you. The liberal spends their teen years "discovering themselves" cause Mommy & Daddy will take care of them till ... whenever the fine themselves.

The child of conservative parents, however, is slapped in the face with reality far sooner, and of course that would make them develope such traits until they are ready to deal with it. He or she spends their teen years working summer jobs, learning the value of earning their own money, learning the lesson of self reliance - Mom and Dad will gladly help you down the path, but you still need to walk it.

When 21 rolls around, the conservative kid is far more grounded in reality than the liberal.
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Realities of life? Maybe it's because I grew up in a fairly well off town, but all the conservative kids I knew were trust-fund babies. Their college was paid for, daddy bought them a brand new car right at 16, and they were not the ones with summer jobs. Of course I don't say any of that pejoratively... I wouldn't have minded a new car or a trust fund at 16 either.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +160 / 4 / -4

Having grown up partly in a conservative town during my teenage years, I found that conservative kids mimicked their parents. They were often obedient, dressed like they belonged to another generation, were reluctant to try new things, and almost always hung out with people of the same race and economic background despite attending an integrated school. The conservative child often has his future mapped out for him at a young age -- he's going to join the military like daddy, or go into daddy's business, or go to daddy's alma mater, etc. The liberal more often experiences self-discovery and fulfillment. The liberal is much more aware of the realities of life, thus we are less afraid of the world and the great diversity of cultures and beliefs.
  9. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Patters, you make it sound like choosing your friends and acquaintences is only acceptable if it fits your formula.

I am an IT professional, into football, enjoy cooking (may even pursue a degree), and like Stephen King. So, if I choose friendships based on my likes, you say that I am wrong. According to you, I should befriend more fast-food junkies who think King is the devil and computers his diabolical spawn.

Choosing to spend more time with people more like yourself is not wrong, nor does it make one ignorant of other cultures and ideas.

To the conservative, self-discovery is a bonus earned over time. To the liberal it is a goal ... make that the goal.

As to following Daddy .... you have something against tradition?
  10. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I was perfectly happy with my 76 Ford Maverick ... Well, i told myself that every night before going to sleep .... :D
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah, check out the high school parking lot in Sharon, MA. It's enough to make any of us puke in a fit of "a 16 year old kid doesn't need that!"
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  12. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

This is some good stuff and makes for the beginning of a great series of stereotypes you could do.

Maybe you can consider doing : Gays, Blacks or Women next.

I'm sure they'd be equally enlightening.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +160 / 4 / -4

Actually, BF, I'm talking specifically about my experiences in the town I grew up in and qualified my comments by saying, "They were often...." So, I don't see how you can say I'm stereotyping. Don't be so sensitive. Conservtive traits aren't all bad.
  14. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

That's what I'm saying . . . do a "They were all" for other groups too. It would be positively enlightening :)
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

What if your parents are crunchy, long-hair hippies and you end up like Harry Boy? Does that make you a liberal?
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +160 / 4 / -4

Crunchy long-haired hippies are not always liberal. They are iconoclasts. They may have some liberal views, but they also have some conservative views. In fact, Wistah, they are often as anti-government as you. (You're not a crunchy long-haired liberal, are you?) Also, note that Harry Boy is for the legalization of drugs, so maybe even as I write this he's sitting in his back porch, the wind blowing his long gray hair, while Peter, Paul, & Mary sing Puff the Magic Dragon, while maryjane is sucked deep into his lungs.
  17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +328 / 1 / -9

Maryjane,
    I tried her several times, it's for kids, it's not the same high as booze, of course I know you all know that.
    When I used to party (booze) I liked gayiety, music, noise, and raising hell, the pot smokers sat around laughing to themselves looking at little lights and eating peanut butter with their fingers (they thought they were having fun) I knew I was.

My reason for "Legalization" is, The People Want It, it can't be stopped so legalize it and take the "payoffs" and the street crime out of the drug business. THE WAR ON DRUGS IS A JOKE it creates more problems than it solve's, the war on drugs actually creates criminals (the white envelope under the table) DRUGS ARE HERE TO STAY, that is a fact.
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

LMFAO! What an image!

Actually, I have long hair and a beard and am very "crunchy" but more like Ted Nugent than Arlo Guthrie (organic food and home-made beer and vehement environmentalist, but I do hunt so that kills the liberal thing).
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

We have a winner for "POST OF THE WEEK" !
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +328 / 1 / -9

This is one conservative that never "ran to the teacher" when I saw trouble coming I "hit first" if you didn't you lost, I learned that lesson very early in school and it served me well in the little bars of Central Square but of course it didn't always work and I took my lumps.

Run to the teacher "NEVER", I took care of my own problems, I didn't always win but the other guy never bothered me again.

You got it all wrong, it's the "Whiney Liberal" that runs to the teacher. :rocker: