PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Connor Barwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
50 page thread incoming. This might rival Adam Seward.....

Would love it wanted him coming out of the draft would be a good alternative to breaking the bank for a passrusher think he has double digit sack ability.
3 yrs 12 mill sounds about right.

Barwin and Bennet or Freeny all of a sudden gives us a boost at pass rush.
Does anyone know how he is containing or stopping the run?

Someone has to say it.

S-s-s-s-SIGN THE BEAST!!!!!!!!!!

Vrabel did start his career with that team in western Pa.

Someone has to say it.

He is young. 26yrs old.

Depends how much he wants.

If he is fast, I'll put him in OLB, as we don't have the speed back there...

He's a really interesting case. I loved the guy as a prospect. He was my first real draft binky. He had a good rookie year in a situational role, missed his entire second season, was really good two years ago with 11.5 sacks, and then regressed terribly last year.

I think he would have been a much better fit a few years ago when the Pats were playing the 3-4, where they could better use his versatility and athleticism in coverage. In the 4-3, I don't think he's an ideal fit at DE because he didn't have success rushing the passer last year.

I'd almost be interested in trying him out at 4-3 OLB. The athleticism is definitely there. The guy ran 4.47 at 256 pounds and has the fluidity to match that.

So here's my super crazy plan that could maybe work: Trade Spikes, move Hightower inside, sign Barwin, play him at Sam.

Other than that, probably not happening.

i want him or freeney to be another pass rushing option but id be happy with that signing and he will take less money so sign the beast

He's a really interesting case. I loved the guy as a prospect. He was my first real draft binky. He had a good rookie year in a situational role, missed his entire second season, was really good two years ago with 11.5 sacks, and then regressed terribly last year.

I think he would have been a much better fit a few years ago when the Pats were playing the 3-4, where they could better use his versatility and athleticism in coverage. In the 4-3, I don't think he's an ideal fit at DE because he didn't have success rushing the passer last year.

I'd almost be interested in trying him out at 4-3 OLB. The athleticism is definitely there. The guy ran 4.47 at 256 pounds and has the fluidity to match that.

So here's my super crazy plan that could maybe work: Trade Spikes, move Hightower inside, sign Barwin, play him at Sam.

Other than that, probably not happening.

My first thought as well - he's perfect for the defense that the Pats played up until 2 years ago. At this point, though, the Pats really don't have the horses on the defensive line to play a 3-4 base, IMO. Wilfork obviously can, and Deaderick and Love both have. Maybe Armstead can? Then that leaves you with Mayo and Spikes playing strictly inside, Jones, Barwin and Ninkovich playing strictly inside, and Hightower playing wherever you feel like putting him. Honestly, I don't love that group. Tons of versatility in the linebacker corps, but the defensive line just isn't imposing. Maybe, in some dream scenario, Lotulelei or Hankins are around when the Pats pick due to their poor combine performances (I assume Hankins will be), giving them the personnel to play a 3-4. But Barwin will have signed with someone long before then anyway, so it's kind of a moot point

He would still be an upgrade here, in all likelihood. On any given down, I'd be pretty comfortable with the three linebackers on the field being Mayo, Hightower, and Barwin. But it's not really the slam dunk that it would have been if the Pats had just drafted him in the first place. It feels like they've moved away from that need, philosophically, in the years since then. At the worst, though, he instantly becomes our fastest linebacker in space, and also happens to be able to rush the passer, so what the hell. If the money's reasonable, make it happen.

Did the creation of this thread make anyone else's day exponentially better?

Sign him. By any means necessary.

Someone has to say it.

He's gonna have to do something with his hair, though. I don't think Bill wants Kramer on his team.....

20120115130430.jpg

Can he rush the passer?

Would love it wanted him coming out of the draft would be a good alternative to breaking the bank for a passrusher think he has double digit sack ability.
3 yrs 12 mill sounds about right.

He is going to be asking for at least 4 years, 20 million. And that is being optimistic.

sounds like this is a done deal, as long as the pats give him a decent contract.

Can he rush the passer?

not this past year - only 3 sacks. but in 2011 he had 13 sacks. Can you imagine him (2011 form) and Jones as bookends? then you have freeney and wilfork...

If this means 10% fewer new topics on this forum about how we should have drafted Barwin, I'm all for it.

I don't even care if we sign him to play WR, just do it so I don't have to read another one of those threads.

But seriously, this would be a great move to make.

If he's willing to take less money, I'd be all for it.

He is not going to take that big a paycut.

He is going to get a big pay day from the bengals or dolphins or some other team.

He is not going to sign with the patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes