PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

connor barwin....defensive POM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Through the first 11 games last year, we were allowing 24 points per game. Through the first 11 this year, 20. So yes.

Sacks are actually on pace for the exact same number, 36, but based on the eye test I'm guessing we're getting more QB pressures total, as evidenced by a better 3rd down defense (especially considering through 11 games last year it was much higher than it finished).

BB teams get better defensively as the season goes.

oh...I see....I didn't know we were being selective with the data.....how about the turnovers?

how about the fact that the pats played against better QB's last year?

less points? are you sure? more sacks? again, are you sure?

I know turnovers are down.......

Through 11 games last year the Pats had given up 268 points. Through 11 games this year, the Pats have given up 223 points. That means they have given up 45 less points this year than at this point last year.

The Pats have 25 sacks through 11 games this year. Through 11 games last year, the Pats had 11 sacks.

But of course that is irrelevant to the argument of which defense is better. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So basically this is the entire board versus Illegal Contact.

Successful troll is successful.

83 responses and counting. Well done, IC. Getting everyone riled up before playing an 0-11 team isn't easy to do.

oh...I see....I didn't know we were being selective with the data.....how about the turnovers?

how about the fact that the pats played against better QB's last year?

So you should compare this defense through 11 games vs. the Pats defense from last year through 16? That is being selective. Comparing the first 11 games of last year vs. the first 11 games of this year is comparable because Belichick defense almost always get better as the year goes along.

So basically this is the entire board versus Illegal Contact.

Successful troll is successful.

I really think he is a Jets troll posing as a Pats fan.

He does do wonders for board unity. I don't think I have felt closer to my fellow board members than I do now. Love you guys.

Through 11 games last year the Pats had given up 268 points. Through 11 games this year, the Pats have given up 223 points. That means they have given up 45 less points this year than at this point last year.

The Pats have 25 sacks through 11 games this year. Through 11 games last year, the Pats had 11 sacks.

But of course that is irrelevant to the argument of which defense is better.

another one being selective with data.....who was the last good QB the pats have stopped?

83 responses and counting. Well done, IC. Getting everyone riled up before playing an 0-11 team isn't easy to do.

I couldn't believe it myself. After page two, I take a phone call at work, refresh and it's up to page nine.

Slow news week, I guess.

hey.....thanks.......

Barwin shoulda been here tho

Sacks and Points scored are stupid stats to use. Defensive passer rating isn't bad, but in the end it comes down Red Zone defense, turnovers, pressures and how you play against the good offenses. The ideal defense right now is probably Baltimore. They have 3 guys that can rush the passer, they have a play making safety and good tackling linebackers. They don't have Tom Brady we do. That the story of the 2011 AFC season. Every good team is missing components.

Case in point, Giants and Eagles have a lot of sacks. Didn't serve them too well against the Saints or Patriots.

Last year, the Jets had the same amount of sacks as the Pats, but what mattered was that they sacked Brady 4x and picked him off when it counted.

Trying to use stats to convince yourself or others whether this is a good defense or not is an exercise in futility. This question will again answer itself in January.

The thread was to discuss Barwin as another guy Belichick missed on. The defense is not great, they are going to need the offense to carry them again.

Tony Romo - #4 in QB rating.

and the only reason the pats won the game was because his coaches were too scared to throw the ball with the lead......they didn't stop him

another one being selective with data.....who was the last good QB the pats have stopped?

Not being selective with data. Comparing apples to apples. Not comparing 16 games to 11 games. That is not an accurate comparison. Who did the Pats face the last five games last year? Matt Flynn, Jay Cutler in a blizzard, Mark Sanchez who the Pats face three weeks ago, Chad Henne/Tyler Thigpen (Henne was benched for Thigpen), and Ryan Fitzpatrick. The only good QB the Pats faced in the last 5 games was Cutler and he was hampered by the blizzard.

and the only reason the pats won the game was because his coaches were too scared to throw the ball with the lead......they didn't stop him

The held to a passer rating less than his average passer rating. They did stop him. You are wrong...again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes