PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Connolly got benched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you he missed the block on Applewhite on the famous 4th and one. Crumpler and Hernandez lined up in a double TE formation, with Connolly at FB. Applewhite shed Crumpler's block, slipping around the edge. Connolly cracked down on Hernandez' man, helping in a double team. Hernandez had his man blocked. Tackled, actually. Applewhite made the play on Law Firm in the backfield. I don't know if he is allowed to read on that, or if he is just supposed to help Hernandez. Either way, it was executed poorly.

On the 4th and 1 play, Lawfirm was supposed to cut back INSIDE. Instead, he cut OUTSIDE and right into the waiting arms of 3 defenders. Kind of hard to blame Connolly for that when the runner is the one to blame.

I'll bet in October of their last college season there was nobody on earth(BB included) who thought the Pats would draft L.Mankins and S.Vollmer. Nobody was talking about either one. The Pats found each one and used a high pick. One thing to look for is position flexibility. Many people thought Mankins could play T, and Vollmer could play LT or RT. Have to be able to move. They don't draft those 350lb road graders.

This is clearly spoken by someone who has no knowledge about the Patriots scouting process.

In the October of their senior years, both Mankins and Vollmer would have been on the Pats draft list at their respective positions for at least a year or possibly 2. That's right, the Pats start scouting players during their sophpmore seasons.

And people were talking about Mankins at that point. At that point, he was being talked about as a 2nd round pick.

Vollmer has shown he can play both LT and RT for this team. He's done so. And, if you check the draft forum, I'm pretty sure you could find people who had Vollmer on their lists as a potential prospect during his senior year.

Bill has drafted only 1 OLman of consequence in the last 5 years.

Have the Patriots NEEDED to draft an O-lineman in the last 5 years, other than Vollmer??

You have hated every single one of the Patriots drafts in recent history because you think you are smarter than Belichick when it comes to drafting. But you always ignore the fact that there are plenty of things in the scouting process that you are clueless on. Like a player's attitude. How well he does at breaking down film during his interview. How smart he comes across to the various scouts and coaches.

And whenever it's brought up, you just ignore it. You just beat your chest like you are God's gift to drafting. Yet, last I looked, there aren't any NFL teams banging at your door to hire you.. I mean, if you're better than Belichick, someone would want you....

On the 4th and 1 play, Lawfirm was supposed to cut back INSIDE. Instead, he cut OUTSIDE and right into the waiting arms of 3 defenders. Kind of hard to blame Connolly for that when the runner is the one to blame.

It would have been next to impossible to gain any yardage inside on that play. The interior O-Line as a whole essentially got blown right off the ball.

The agent denied the accuracy of the numbers on the first rumored deal (offer of $7 million). Reiss reported that what was happening was that the Patriots were insisting on keeping this RFA season money as part of the deal, which would explain the difference between the rumored offer amount and the amount the agent was claiming.

According to Kraft's later interview (the one after Schefter's report about the public apology), the Patriots made an offer that was on par with the Mangold deal during that later round of negotiations.

How much of this is accurate is a question for history.

And what Reiss also said was that while the RFA money was there, Mankins would still get his signing bonus this year... So he'd have been looking at double digit millions this season.. And a relatively high salary for each of the next seasons..

It would have been next to impossible to gain any yardage inside on that play. The interior O-Line as a whole essentially got blown right off the ball.

You must be thinking about a different play because they gave an overhead view of that play and showed the huge hole that Lawfirm had on the "inside". Not sure how you can say the whole interior line got blown off the ball when Neal was pulling and Koppen was blocking Left.

Lawfirm, essentially, had to just turn upfield instead of trying to go outside and he'd have gotten the 1st down.

And what Reiss also said was that while the RFA money was there, Mankins would still get his signing bonus this year... So he'd have been looking at double digit millions this season.. And a relatively high salary for each of the next seasons..

That's lipstick on the pig, DaBruinz. Come on, you know that.

You must be thinking about a different play because they gave an overhead view of that play and showed the huge hole that Lawfirm had on the "inside". Not sure how you can say the whole interior line got blown off the ball when Neal was pulling and Koppen was blocking Left.

Lawfirm, essentially, had to just turn upfield instead of trying to go outside and he'd have gotten the 1st down.

Yeah, I didn't think you saw the screen shot that Patspsycho presented to you yesterday that showed that there was absolutely, positively, no HUGE hole up the middle.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...685999-matt-light-ol-general.html#post2303523

Whatever adjustment was made at halftime worked. Aside from the 4 and out it was a good 2nd half for the offense. 3 drives and 2 resulted in time consuming scoring drives.

Brutal first half though

There's no denying SD has talented pass rushers. Connolly and Light have been fine against lesser competition this season. The problem is, we'll face elite pass rushers come playoff time. Same goes for Mankins though - as I said, he choked more than anybody in SB42.

Oh what would those teams with elite rushers be?

The Pats have played all the AFC playoff contenders except the Steelers. The Steelers defesnive line is their weakness, not their strength this year, with most of their injuries there.

So All the playoff lines have already been handled by the Pats leftside of the Offensive line, and had only problems with the Chargers for a single half, before adjustments were made. The way the Chiefs and Chargers are playing, the Bolts may not even be in the playoffs...

The agent denied the accuracy of the numbers on the first rumored deal (offer of $7 million). Reiss reported that what was happening was that the Patriots were insisting on keeping this RFA season money as part of the deal, which would explain the difference between the rumored offer amount and the amount the agent was claiming.

If Mankin$ had accepted the Pats' offer on their terms, would he not have received a signing bonus immediately, thus mitigating to a degree the fact that his RFA money would still be included?

If you go by that logic, the entire O-Line should have been issued their walking papers after that game.

I'm not saying that we oughta let Mankins walk because of that game - only saying that his epic failure on the biggest stage of the game has to be taken into consideration - particularly given he doesn't have the postseason experience of some of the other guys we've doled out big contracts to in the past. And it wasn't just that he had a weak game that night, as Unoriginal showed in his breakdown, he was even worse than it looked, and even worse than any other OL on that squad.

Oh what would those teams with elite rushers be?

The Pats have played all the AFC playoff contenders except the Steelers. The Steelers defesnive line is their weakness, not their strength this year, with most of their injuries there.

So All the playoff lines have already been handled by the Pats leftside of the Offensive line, and had only problems with the Chargers for a single half, before adjustments were made. The way the Chiefs and Chargers are playing, the Bolts may not even be in the playoffs...

The Patriots last 3 opponents have been the Dolphins, Ravens and Chargers. In those 3 games, the Patriots have yielded 10 sacks. The total for the year is now 12 sacks.

Brady was sacked a total of 16 times all last season.

If Mankin$ had accepted the Pats' offer on their terms, would he not have received a signing bonus immediately, thus mitigating to a degree the fact that his RFA money would still be included?

How does that mitigate anything when they could have given him the contract without the RFA year and still given him his signing bonus immediately? That's what I mean by lipstick on the pig.

I'm not saying that we oughta let Mankins walk because of that game - only saying that his epic failure on the biggest stage of the game has to be taken into consideration - particularly given he doesn't have the postseason experience of some of the other guys we've doled out big contracts to in the past. And it wasn't just that he had a weak game that night, as Unoriginal showed in his breakdown, he was even worse than it looked, and even worse than any other OL on that squad.

I'm aware that Mankins had a horrible game in Super Bowl XLII. I just don't think it makes much sense to withhold a contract from the best OL on our team (particularly the best run blocking OL that we have) because of one bad game. Yes, it was on the biggest stage. Yes, it sucked that his worst game as a pro had to happen there. But everyone has bad games. Judging a guy or, in this case, not giving a contract to a guy who can be one of the foundations of the new look O-Line going into next year, by looking at one game simply isn't sound logic.

I see fat people in the 2011 draft ... at least 3 fat people minimum.

Goal line situation to win the game ... Vince wilfork in at LG ... Woodhead off tackle to win the game.

Last edited:
I'm aware that Mankins had a horrible game in Super Bowl XLII. I just don't think it makes much sense to withhold a contract from the best OL on our team (particularly the best run blocking OL that we have) because of one bad game.

Its not just one game though. Against good d-lines, he's an average pass blocker. I really think he wouldve only helped the run blocking yesterday, not the pass blocking. However, an improvement in the run blocking wouldve helped the run game, which in the end wouldve opened things up in the passing game......hmmmmm. (im more tired than usual tonight).....either way, I don't think anybody here thinks Connelly is better than Mankins. But i do get tired of hearing about Logan being some great pass blocker. Its simply not true.

Its not just one game though. Against good d-lines, he's an average pass blocker. I really think he wouldve only helped the run blocking yesterday, not the pass blocking. However, an improvement in the run blocking wouldve helped the run game, which in the end wouldve opened things up in the passing game......hmmmmm. (im more tired than usual tonight).....either way, I don't think anybody here thinks Connelly is better than Mankins. But i do get tired of hearing about Logan being some great pass blocker. Its simply not true.

I'm not a PFF guy but, if you're a believer, here you go:

As a run-blocker, Mankins finished sixth in positive blocks made in the run game (80 in 510 attempts.). Alan Faneca (91 positive blocks on 729 attempts) and Carl Nicks (91 positive blocks on 582 attempts) had more, but Mankins’ ratio was best.

He also graded out as the fourth-highest left guard in pass protection (+9.2 rating) — he’s right at the top of the list of left guards in that respect. He excels with the short screen plays the Patriots are known to use, and ranked as our best (+5.0) screen-blocking guard in the league. It’s only really the penalty count (eight, all accepted) that hurt him a year ago and dropped him below Nicks as our top-rated left guard.

Should they pay or should he go? Logan Mankins

I can't access the individual stats of Mankins on F.O., which I find to be a much better site but, as I said, if you're a PFF fan, there you go. Saying that Mankins is just an average pass blocker is simply not an accurate assessment, IMO.

Last edited:
The Patriots last 3 opponents have been the Dolphins, Ravens and Chargers. In those 3 games, the Patriots have yielded 10 sacks. The total for the year is now 12 sacks.

Brady was sacked a total of 16 times all last season.

Shocking to see Connolly pulled from the game after the way he's played. Even more shocking given that Wendell was the replacement. Almost sounds disciplinary, i.e. that Connolly failed to take specific coachng. Perhaps your suspicions about his poor coordination with Light and Connolly were correct. Haven't reviewed the game yet, but I'm dying to see what kind of transgression is bad enough to bring Wendell in.

No question that you're right that the pass protection is far worse this year, and that Mankins loss is a contributor. But keep in mind that Vollmer is no where near as effective this year in pass protection as last year and has been involved in several sacks and pressures. I've even seen him give up on a play or two. He was injured in preseason I believe, perhaps he's still playing hurt.

Faulk's loss is also a likely contributor as well (what game did he go out in?). BJGE whiffed on Sunday at least once, and while Woodhead is showing the desire needed to be a good pass blocker, he's no where near as effective a chipper as Faulk. Faulk would routinely get a piece of an edge rusher on his way out to the flat, and I've seen Woodhead run right past a charging DE in those situations without touching him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey