Welcome to PatsFans.com

Congressman Calls For Schools To ‘Promote The Agenda’ Of Clim. Change, Pop Limitation

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +411 / 5 / -2

Indoctrination at it's best.

[​IMG]

Congressman Calls For Schools To ‘Promote The Agenda’ Of Climate Change, Population Limitation

Rep. John Sarbanes says more environmental education in public schools will promote the agenda of climate change and population growth.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010
    By Nicholas Ballasy

(CNSNews.com) - Rep. John Sarbanes (D-Md.) told CNSNews.com at a "Sustainability Education Summit" hosted by the U.S. Education Department on Tuesday that environmental education in schools can "promote the agenda" of climate change and population growth through the influence it has on children.

“Like I keep saying over and over again, if you get young people invested in those ideas early on, that will result in those kinds of positive policy developments," Sarbanes told CNSNews.com. "So, whether it’s climate change, whether it’s population growth, whether it’s all these factors that impact the health of our world, raising that awareness early among young people is only going to promote the agenda.”

Congressman Calls For Schools To ?Promote The Agenda? Of Climate Change, Population Limitation | CNSnews.com
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Re: Congressman Calls For Schools To ‘Promote The Agenda’ Of Clim. Change, Pop Limita

They should limit soda consumption in schools!

:)
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +491 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Re: Congressman Calls For Schools To ‘Promote The Agenda’ Of Clim. Change, Pop Limita

That's about as wrong as teaching Creationism.
  4. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I think that subjects like this should be taught in any classes dealing with society. At my high school, we had a class called "Contemporary Problems," which looked at such issues, presented both sides, and then had students debate both sides. Something like that is great, as long as both sides are shown and debates are encouraged.

I would not, however, be happy if it was being taught in the way that I think this fella wants them to be.

PS - Long live They Live!
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +243 / 9 / -26

The "Right News, Right Now".. is where most of us get our information.
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +411 / 5 / -2

I really like them taters....mmm-hmmm...
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +411 / 5 / -2

Indoctrination of any kind, is unacceptable. It's why there should be a voucher program when it comes to education.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +491 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Serious question here (I know we've had our differences so I want to be sure you know I'm not being sarcastic or anything else - I honestly want to know.)

How would a voucher system help prevent indoctrination?
  9. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

I have my doubts about the "sustainability" of a plan that advocates not having children.
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +243 / 9 / -26

A voucher system would lead to the opportunity for complete indoctrination, imagine the brouhaha if family A had a voucher and sent their child to a muslim school and family B had a voucher and sent their child to a fundamental christian school and family C sent their child to the local atheist school... imagine that hysteria. I would be great fodder for the message boards and mediots...

We are not very far from that right now... Texas comes to mind.
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +491 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Yeah, that's what I kinda thought, too, but I was thinking maybe RW had a different take on it and I'd like to hear it.

I don't see how it would be any different from the way Catholic schools and Jewish schools already teach - which is definitely oriented towards their own particular viewpoints. As it is, a parent desiring a Catholic education, or a Jewish one or a Muslim one can pretty much find it in the private school systems - so if you're talking about opening that up to vouchers I don't know how it would change anything - or stop indoctrination.

Personally, I think the biggest threat of indoctrination comes from home-schooling. But again, that's just me.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +411 / 5 / -2

That's easy, by allowing choice and competition, as well as permitting more parents to send their kids to private schools, where they'd have more say over what it is their kids learn. As it currently stands, the gubmit and the teachers unions, have too much control over what our kids are taught in schools. Have you noticed the costs too? $8k, 10k, to 15,000+ per pupil in some cities and states? Outrageous.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +411 / 5 / -2

I like them French fried potaters. mmmmm-hmmmm....
  14. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Screw Him schools should be neutral
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +411 / 5 / -2

You're looking at this from the liberal lense, where the gubmit is good. Where the gubmit is best served to take care of you. I look at this from a libertarian lense, where freedom of choice, and the rights of parents supercede the teachers unions, and the gubmit beurocrats like this congressman clown, who want to do to your kid, what the ciggarette companies do. Brainwash them as young as possible.

Who knows better for their child? The parents, or the gubmit? I'll side with parents thank you. Does that mean all parents are perfect? Aboslutely not, but just because some aren't, it doesn't mean the rest should be forced into sending their kids to the lemon factory, that is the government school system. A voucher is intended to help those of us who already pay for the public education system through taxes (the avg per pupil cost of which, is somewhere in the range of five figures per annum), pay for private tuition costs. See, if I pay for the Lemon Factory, I then have to find another $7k to send my kid to private school. How many middle class families can afford that? With a voucher, they would get relief for that which they are forced to pay for, but don't use. It would enable parents to choose between the private school of their liking, or the gubmit school that wants to waste time indoctrinating kids on climate change, and population controls.

What's wrong with home schooling? If a parent wants to teach their kid at home, should they be barred from doing so? I personally wouldn't home school, but that's my own decision.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  16. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

MMMMMM HMMMM I likes dem potaters to. i Shirley do.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +411 / 5 / -2

I was thinkin', I'm gonna take me some of these taters home with me. mmmmm-hmmmm
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +243 / 9 / -26

OTOH private school enrollment is up in this area, and somehow folks afford it.. know a number of middle class families who are opting out of public schools and sending them to some(what I would call) high priced catholic schools... they believe that by doing so will better prepare them for college..

In RI schools like Hendricken, La Salle, Prout and many of the smaller private schools seem to be thriving.. those that are not doing as well are the smaller schools in the cities..

Where I went to high school, Newport, the enrollment at the local high school is about 50% of what it was when I attended... perhaps it is an influx of those f..ing New Yorkers, but many send their kids off island for schooling..
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +491 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

But how does that cut down the possibility of "indoctrination?" Doesn't that contribute to it? If parents "shop around" for a school which matches their own beliefs, won't that eliminate their children hearing any other possible beliefs? Isn't that what indoctrination consists of - only hearing one side of a story to the exclusion of all others? Think of how uneven of an education all children would end up receiving!! I can envision a world where the kids hit college and start talking to one another and thinking that they come from two totally different countries. White kids would, potentially, only hear "white history" and black kids could, potentially, only hear "black history" and neither child will have even heard of the other child's heroes - or worse, each child's hero will be the other child's villain.

One of the things we want to teach our children to do is to think for themselves, isn't it? How can they do that if they are never given the complete information from which to choose from? How do they learn to separate the wheat from the chaff if they are not given all of the knowledge and allowed to learn to reason and to think and to form opinions from everything we've got at our disposal to give them?

So who would you suggest control what they learn? The parents themselves? That assumes that all parents know enough to be able to decide, doesn't it? If parents didn't need help from teachers and from government and from churches and from other parents we'd all be perfectly capable of teaching our children at home, wouldn't we, and there'd be no need for schools at all. However, since more than 24% of all adult Americans are functionally illiterate I'd say that if we relied on home schooling or parent-directed curriculum we'd have a big problem eventually, wouldn't you?

As to the cost - what would you suggest we do to lower it? Cut teacher salary? Cut new textbooks and supplies to the children? My daughter-in-law is a teacher in Chicago and she spends at least a grand of her own money every year getting needed supplies for her students that the state/feds no longer supply them. Would you suggest we cut her salary still further? Maybe we shouldn't subsidize lunches for the poor kids - they can learn on an empty stomach, right? (Oh wait, it's already been proven that they can't.)

Maybe education is like health care - you can only get what you can afford - and if you can't afford the best, you can't get it and you take what ever it is you can get - no matter how substandard it is. And if you're already stupid (pre-existing condition) then you don't get to go to school at all. Heck, like health insurance, if you're parent's are stupid (pre-existing condition) you don't get to go to school at all, either.

How much do you want the vouchers to be worth? The entire cost of the education or should the parents be required to kick in according to ability to pay? Will the vouchers also cover the cost of transportation to the "good" schools which are in the "good" neighborhoods or is that going to be a backdoor way to keep the "bad" kids out?

I don't mind vouchers so much - but if they become the sole way that schools are supported then I think the tax deduction to parents for dependants needs to be done away with. I'd also have to think long and hard about if any of my tax dollars should go to education because, honestly, I'm not happy about the idea of deliberately offering some kids a better chance than others - nor would I be too crazy about parent-ordered curriculum.

If parents want to direct what their kids learn to the exclusion of all else - then parents can pay for it themselves.
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +411 / 5 / -2

Doesn't matter where I was to be. We'll always be friends. You and me made friends right off the bat. Don't nobody ever change that. I kindly want to put my arm around you, then I'm gonna get up out of here and leave. mmmm, hmmmm