groundgame

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
The heats on!
Portion of text:

Congress asks Clemens, Pettitte, their ex-trainer to testify in hearing
Associated Press

Updated: January 4, 2008, 6:01 PM ET
WASHINGTON -- Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte were asked Friday to testify before a congressional committee on Jan. 16, along with their former trainer, Brian McNamee.

Oversight Committee 'Invitation'

The following was released by the House Oversight Committee, chaired by California's Henry A. Waxman:

WASHINGTON, DC -- The House Oversight Committee announced today it will hold a hearing on Wednesday, January 16, 2008, to obtain additional information about the Report to the Commissioner of Baseball of an Independent Investigation into the Illegal Use of Steroids and Other Performance Enhancing Substances by Players in Major League Baseball, known as the "Mitchell Report."

Witnesses will include:

• Mr. Brian McNamee
• Mr. Kirk Radomski
• Mr. Andy Pettitte
• Mr. Chuck Knoblauch
• Mr. Roger Clemens

Where: 2154 Rayburn House Office Building

When: 10 a.m. on Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Also invited to appear before the House Oversight Committee were former New York Mets clubhouse attendant Kirk Radomski, whose allegations were a central part of last month's Mitchell report on doping in baseball. Former All-Star second baseman Chuck Knoblauch also was asked to speak to the panel.

"It could be a circus with players, true," the committee's minority staff director, David Marin, said in a telephone interview. "But if you tailor it right and invite people who clearly have pertinent information about the substance of the report, then it's anything but a circus. It's substantive. That's what Democrats and Republicans have agreed to here."

A day earlier, the committee is to hear testimony from baseball commissioner Bud Selig, union leader Donald Fehr and former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell.

"The original hearing was called to examine the Mitchell recommendations and findings. The committee has decided to hold a second day of hearings for the very same reason -- to invite people with varying perspectives on the Mitchell report to shed further light on it," Marin said.

McNamee told Mitchell he had injected Clemens with steroids and human growth hormone during the 1998, 2000 and 2001 seasons. Clemens, in an interview to be broadcast by CBS's "60 Minutes" on Sunday, said McNamee injected him with vitamins and painkillers but not performance-enhancing drugs.

Pettitte admitted McNamee injected him with HGH twice while the pitcher was recovering from an injury.

Radomski pleaded guilty in April to federal felony charges of distributing steroids and laundering money, and he is scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 8.

Although none of the people asked to testify under oath Jan. 16 had agreed to appear as of late Friday afternoon, the committee's announcement listed Clemens and others under the heading, "Witnesses will include."

Said Marin: "We always presume that invited witnesses will appear."

E-mails to attorneys for Clemens and McNamee and a phone call to Radomski's lawyer were not immediately returned.

The panel also convened a March 2005 hearing, when Mark McGwire refused to say whether he had used performance-enhancing drugs. Sammy Sosa said he had never knowingly used illegal performance-enhancing drugs. Rafael

Last edited:
Rogah could be in deep doo doo by the end of the day, does Clemens rhyme with Bonds..

Rogah could be in deep doo doo by the end of the day, does Clemens rhyme with Bonds..

Especially if Congress grants him immunity from prosecution., then he can't claim his fifth amendment rights ("I refuse to testify on the grounds...") Then if he doesn't tell the truth, he could be subject to perjury charges like Bonds.
I don't think h'd be able to get away with McGwire-like responses of looking forward and ignoring the past....This could get interesting fast....

Clemen's lawyer mentioned that Roger might have a conflict in schedule, when asked about him testifying. LMAO! Oh yea, I'm innocent. Can you testify before Congress? I wish I could, but I'm committed to sign baseballs that day.

Clemen's lawyer mentioned that Roger might have a conflict in schedule, when asked about him testifying. LMAO! Oh yea, I'm innocent. Can you testify before Congress? I wish I could, but I'm committed to sign baseballs that day.

Plus, I think on the 16th, it is discount gas day for Houston area Cosco stores where he'll get 5 cents off each gallon of gas.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back