PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congratulations to Darius Butler and Whoever the Hell Coached Him Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butler and Arrington a just fine CBs.

Let's just hope the Pats don't have to play the Saints in the SB.

The Saints are a very good team but there is something off about Drew Brees this year. I suspect that it is his knee issue but I don't know for a fact. Hes been throwing 1-2 INTs a game this year. That is not very characteristic of him to do so.

With that said, The running game is not what is was last year and teams are sitting on routes.

Their defense seems to be better, but they aren't the ballhawking unit they were last year.

They are very beatable.

The Saints are a very good team but there is something off about Drew Brees this year. I suspect that it is his knee issue but I don't know for a fact. Hes been throwing 1-2 INTs a game this year. That is not very characteristic of him to do so.

With that said, The running game is not what is was last year and teams are sitting on routes.

Their defense seems to be better, but they aren't the ballhawking unit they were last year.

They are very beatable.

They are a matchup nightmare for the Pats. They have a strong O-line, can beat you with a variety of receiving targets, and with the Pats expected to play in their 4-man front nickel against such a team, would be vulnerable to the run. Pierre Thomas is a decent back as is GB's Brandon Jackson, who had a solid game against the Pats defense.

The Pats have 2 weaknesses heading into the postseason:

D-Line
RCB

Teams that can spread and isolate the Pats coverage while dominating the LOS can be problematic to the Pats.

Moreover, Brees is 3-0 vs the Pats. as a team, NO is 8-1 in their last nine games. The Saints are the one team I don't want to see in the playoffs.

Last edited:
In a way, Bodden going down for the year has almost been a blessing in disguise. The Pats had to take some lumps for it on the defensive side of the ball, but it's allowed the younger cornerbacks to grow up quickly within the system due to extensive playing time on the field. Butler, who looked horrible earlier in the season, has grown by leaps and bounds and has looked very solid over the last few weeks. Arrington has also improved his coverage abilities as the year has been going on. Do I even have to touch on McCourty? He's getting better and better with every game played.

With Bodden coming back next year in full health, this secondary will only be that much better. We saw what Bodden can do in 2009. He'll take back his spot as RCB while McCourty holds it down at LCB. With that, we can slide Butler back into the slot.

They are a matchup nightmare for the Pats. They have a strong O-line, can beat you with a variety of receiving targets,

Sounds like a team we know. ;).

Seeing that the NEP lead the league in INTs and are playing a QB who throws a pick every 29 attempts, but throws the ball 41 times a game, i'll take my chances.

and with the Pats expected to play in their 4-man front nickel against such a team, would be vulnerable to the run.
Pierre Thomas is a decent back as is GB's Brandon Jackson, who had a solid game against the Pats defense.

McCourty, Chung, Sanders, Arrington, Butler, Meriweather...Pats have enough DBs to run with the Saints receivers.

The Pats have 2 weaknesses heading into the postseason:

D-Line
RCB

With the exception of Wright, I expect the D-line to be fine. Arrington is serviceable. He is not Ellis Hobbs or Chris Canty.

Teams that can spread and isolate the Pats coverage while dominating the LOS can be problematic to the Pats.

Teams have been doing that all year to the Pats. This is nothing new. The key is containment after the catch.

Moreover, Brees is 3-0 vs the Pats. as a team, NO is 8-1 in their last nine games. The Saints are the one team I don't want to see in the playoffs.

It really doesn't matter what Brees career record is vs NE. Last year was last year and I know you are bringing up games from 2002 and 2005? C'mon now.

Last edited:
Sounds like a team we know. ;).

Yes, it does, but 4 years earlier, rather than today's version. ;)

Seeing that the NEP lead the league in INTs and are playing a QB who throws a pick every 29 attempts, but throws the ball 41 times a game, i'll take my chances.

Brees has made plenty of mistakes but he's a proven winner. The Pats have feasted on plenty of bad QBs.

McCourty, Chung, Sanders, Arrington, Butler, Meriweather...Pats have enough DBs to run with the Saints receivers.
With the exception of Wright, I expect the D-line to be fine. Arrington is serviceable. He is not Ellis Hobbs or Chris Canty.

Mike Wright was their best pass rusher. I hope he returns for the playoffs. Arrington is putrid and was benched against the Colts. He would be painful to watch in a SB vs the Saints. If the Pats can put a pass rush on Brees, sans blitzing, they have a chance.

Teams have been doing that all year to the Pats. This is nothing new. The key is containment after the catch.

Not all teams have the talent the Saints have.

It really doesn't matter what Brees career record is vs NE. Last year was last year and I know you are bringing up games from 2002 and 2005? C'mon now.

Same QB only with better WRs and a better O-line:

Brees VS NEP

W-L: 3-0
Cmp/Att: 47/65
Comp%: 72.3%
TD/INT: 8/0
Rate: 148.3

Game Logs:
09/29/2002
NE 14 SD 21
Cmp/Att: 10/18
Comp%: 55.6
TD/INT: 1/0
Rate: 91.0

10/02/2005
SD 41 NE 17
Cmp/Att: 19/24
Comp%: 79.2
TD/INT: 2/0
Rate: 137.5

11/30/2009
NE 17 NO 38
Cmp/Att: 18/23
Comp%: 78.3
TD/INT: 5/0
Rate: 158.3

Note: The last game was in 2009, which was his best. If not for a slow start, the Saints would have dominated the NFC.

I hope the Pats don't face them, but if they do, I sincerely hope you're right and I'm wrong. :cool:

Yes, it does, but 4 years earlier, rather than today's version. ;)

Don't follow? Brady is spreading the ball all over the place this year. I'd also contend that from November on, this offense is more efficient than the 2007 team's.

Brees has made plenty of mistakes but he's a proven winner. The Pats have feasted on plenty of bad QBs.

Brees is and elite QB. Pats have done pretty well vs Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger and Flacco too. Lots of yards, but lots of forced mistakes....and also 4-0 vs very good QBs.

Mike Wright was their best pass rusher. I hope he returns for the playoffs. Arrington is putrid and was benched against the Colts. He would be painful to watch in a SB vs the Saints. If the Pats can put a pass rush on Brees, sans blitzing, they have a chance.

Agreed on Wright. Arrington is average- not great and not as terrible as you make him out to be. They have more than a chance.

Not all teams have the talent the Saints have.

Talent is only part of the equation. Every good NFL team has a ton of talent. It's execution, making plays and coaching that puts teams over the top. Saints have all 3. So do the Pats.

Same QB only with better WRs and a better O-line:

Brees VS NEP

W-L: 3-0
Cmp/Att: 47/65
Comp%: 72.3%
TD/INT: 8/0
Rate: 148.3

Game Logs:
09/29/2002
NE 14 SD 21
Cmp/Att: 10/18
Comp%: 55.6
TD/INT: 1/0
Rate: 91.0

10/02/2005
SD 41 NE 17
Cmp/Att: 19/24
Comp%: 79.2
TD/INT: 2/0
Rate: 137.5

11/30/2009
NE 17 NO 38
Cmp/Att: 18/23
Comp%: 78.3
TD/INT: 5/0
Rate: 158.3

You need to stop with the dated vs opponent stuff. Every year is different.

Note: The last game was in 2009, which was his best. If not for a slow start, the Saints would have dominated the NFC.

I hope the Pats don't face them, but if they do, I sincerely hope you're right and I'm wrong. :cool:

Me too!

Last edited:
You know, with his incredible physical talent (speed, jumping ability, loose hips etc.), one woud think with the right coaching, he could play at a high level. I gotta give the man credit for looking as good as he does. Right now the trio of McCourty, Butler, and Arrington look pretty darn good, and how many of us would have thought that three months ago?:)

Give some props to Corwin Brown the ex-Pat d-back, who's now the d-back coach.

I remember him as a pretty good player.

He went on to coach at Notre Dame, and I think he's the main reason we have Sergio Brown from Notre Dame, who's made some good plays.

Don't follow? Brady is spreading the ball all over the place this year. I'd also contend that from November on, this offense is more efficient than the 2007 team's.

Oh no doubt. And to lean toward what you're saying, the Pats are a much better team on both sides of the ball than in '09, especially the running game.

If these 2 teams meet it won't be a one-sided blowout, rather a shootout.

Brees is and elite QB. Pats have done pretty well vs Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger and Flacco too. Lots of yards, but lots of forced mistakes....and also 4-0 vs very good QBs.

Manning is in decline and his O-line is bad, along with his WRs, defense, and, running game. The Pats were lucky to beat SD. They handed that game to the Pats and I'm glad they're gone. The Steelers are frauds. Their O-line is one the worst in the league and their D-line isn't very good. In truth, the Pats are all but a lock to represent the AFC in the SB.

The Saints are better than all these teams, IMO.

Agreed on Wright. Arrington is average- not great and not as terrible as you make him out to be. They have more than a chance.

I've seen Arrington play all season and he is quite bad. His pick 6 vs GB was the result of a terrible pass by Flynn and horrid tackling. I could have scored on that. Arrington is another Ellis Hobbs, a completion waiting to happen. A QB like Brees will pick on him all night long.

Talent is only part of the equation. Every good NFL team has a ton of talent. It's execution, making plays and coaching that puts teams over the top. Saints have all 3. So do the Pats.

You need both coaching and talent to succeed in the playoffs, where weaknesses get exposed. The Pats weakness in 2007 was pass coverage and it didn't manifest itself until the Giants final drive. With Arrington, a team like the Saints can exploit him. With WRs Meachem, Henderson, Moore, and Colston on the field, at least one will be open unless the Pats can mount an effective rush. The Pats pass rush isn't that bad, but it's not great either.

The Saints are the worst matchup possible for the Pats and GB is next. The Pats shouldn't have a problem with the rest.

Butler was and is a liability in pass coverage. He is below Arrington, below average.

Butler was and is a liability in pass coverage. He is below Arrington, below average.

Guess you are watching a different game than everyone else.

Butler continues to prove to be average to above average since his return. The PI call on him today was BS. The catch by Bess was indefensible.. Give some credit to Bess on making it and to Thigpen for being lucky to have thrown it to where only Bess had an even remote chance of getting it.

Guess you are watching a different game than everyone else.

Butler continues to prove to be average to above average since his return. The PI call on him today was BS. The catch by Bess was indefensible.. Give some credit to Bess on making it and to Thigpen for being lucky to have thrown it to where only Bess had an even remote chance of getting it.

How can you call that PI BS when he clearly shoved the WR in the back?

I think it's a technique thing with him. He just doesn't turn to the ball. His technique is a PI liability. He's a work in progress. If he can work on that, I think that he will be a good corner for us. Arrington's technique is better.

How can you call that PI BS when he clearly shoved the WR in the back?

Because he didn't "clearly" shove the WR in the back.. If he had, he wouldn't have been able to back pedal for the INT the way he did..

Also, Marshall was going forward back towards Thigpen.. Or didn't you hear Marshall yapping about how he "gave that one to the defense"..

I think it's a technique thing with him. He just doesn't turn to the ball. His technique is a PI liability. He's a work in progress. If he can work on that, I think that he will be a good corner for us. Arrington's technique is better.

I think he started the season with such poor technique that he got benched for it. And since he's gotten some playing time, he's focusing too hard and thinking too much about what he should be doing instead of just doing it. It's like the game is still moving too fast for him. But I agree, I think he'll be a good corner for us. Arrington is not as good of an athlete, but his technique has been better.

Reclamation project? He was a high 2nd round pick. When in the world did we consider 2nd rounders as guys coming off the scrap heap?

Butler had a promising rookie season where he showed some flashes of ability. Then he played very crappy for much of this year. Then he played well for a bit with McCourty out/dinged. And he followed it up with a bad/not smart game against the Dolphins. The kid has the athletic ability to stay with guys, but he still needs to develop his feel for the game, playing the receiver, learning the scheme, etc.

In comparison it is just incredible how fast McCourty has picked things up in comparison and turned into a pro-bowl and starter as a ROOKIE CB. Glad we picked him up in the draft. Because if we had to rely on Butler after Bodden went down, I think this season looks a LOT uglier on the defensive side of the football. Pats were a few minutes from pitching their first shutout until Butler makes his dumb PI play and compounds it by getting burned on an admittedly beautiful TD catch by Bess.

Because he didn't "clearly" shove the WR in the back.. If he had, he wouldn't have been able to back pedal for the INT the way he did..

Also, Marshall was going forward back towards Thigpen.. Or didn't you hear Marshall yapping about how he "gave that one to the defense"..

Please take off the blinders. That was an obvious PI. I'm not ready to give up on Butler but he has put up his share of stinkers this season for the criticism of his play to be well merited. He's a work in progress and still needs to work on his ball awareness and play on the WR.

Hasn't BB been personally working with Butler on technique? That seems to be where Butler's improvement has come from, better technique.

With more maturity and an improved technique, Butler could become everything he was supposed to be when we drafted him.

Wilhite needs to go the way of the dinosaur.

Hopefully it's a correctible issue and can get better with coaching and experience. However some players just don't display the necessary awareness to be a top DB and never develop that awareness. Like I said, I'm hoping it's correctible.

Last edited:

Just got back from the game.. Figured I poke my head in and dance with joy like everyone else..

But b4 I do that, I have to confirm Butler did indeed push him Marshal in the back. It was a head scratcher.. Looked like the ball was over thrown.. Why Marshal said what he said... He's a headcase.. He'll say anything..

While he had an off game this week, he's still young and shown some improvement of late.. But I'll be happy to have Bodden back next year and another CB to compete with him.

Last edited:
butler pushed on marshall's back, it was evident even during the live play

HOWEVER, the ball was uncatchable for marshall either way, and if we want to go into technicalities, it really was not necessary for butler to push off, he would have been able to back pedal eitehr way, he just did something stupid, and the refs called a ticky tacky penalty for a team that was down 35+ points late in the fourth

Butler really sucks.

Why do folks think he is so good? He never freakin looks back for the football and if he pulls that crap in the post season, it will get called.

You clearly see what you want to see.

We win 38-7 and the morons come out of the wood work
1. Hes covering one of the best WR's in the game a guy who is 6 inches taller ways 230 lbs and runs like a gazzel

2. I didn't see Butler push anyone in the back on that play.

3 On the TD the ball was thrown perfectly, i can't fault Butler on that one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back