PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congratulations Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
we got absolutely killed on field position today

First time in a long time this team just looked unprepared and timid. No swagger at all they just let the jets d dictate the game

Agreed if that’s Peyton back there he will 400 yards and 6 TD passes for the day. This D has to make some plays did we even tip a pass today in the secondary. The O needs to get some rhythm going

You clearly forgot the ball which fell nicely into the $10 million dollar per year arms of Adalius Thomas at the Jets 12 yard line. The ball was tipped up by Wright.

Last edited:
Say what??? :confused:

ur saying our D played OK facing a rookie QB, which should be easy

but our Offense played HORRIBLE against only an above average defence, and im saying if we played a top 3 defense, we would have been shutout

at which point im assuming u would again blame the defense?

this was all offense

ur saying our D played OK facing a rookie QB, which should be easy

but our Offense played HORRIBLE against only an above average defence, and im saying if we played a top 3 defense, we would have been shutout

at which point im assuming u would again blame the defense?

this was all offense

Yes. Zero touchdowns makes it hard to win. Do people really feel that 16 points was too much for the defense to give up?

A fantastic effort by our young defense, on the road, in a very hostile environment. Guyton was fantastic in the middle. Wilhite solid in coverage. Wilfork, Warren, Wright and Green had excellent line play. McGowan was a force against the run (did Meriweather play today ?). Even though the offense was seemingly 3 and out all second half, the defense continued to respond.
Nice effort by the defense.

Couldnt agree more. Hell, we only gave up 17 points. thats not bad. My concern is the lack of offence. To be more specific the off play calling.
There is a night and day difference of the play calling from last year (under mcdaniels) and this year.

but our Offense played HORRIBLE against only an above average defence

I think you'll find by the end of the year they will be one of the top defenses in the league. I wouldnt go by last years reputation

Last edited:
We faced a STRONG D. One with a good front 7 and a shutdown corner. Other threads on the O correctly point out it's failures against a strong opponent.

We faced a good runing game and a ROOKIE QB. I don't care if Sanchez ends up in the HOF. The D should have tooled the kid. Against the elite top 3rd QBs we'd have been toasted with lack of consistent pressure and 'just miss' coverage.

Yep the D played well, although it would be nice if they let them loose a bit.

We faced a STRONG D. One with a good front 7 and a shutdown corner. Other threads on the O correctly point out it's failures against a strong opponent.

We faced a good runing game and a ROOKIE QB. I don't care if Sanchez ends up in the HOF. The D should have tooled the kid. Against the elite top 3rd QBs we'd have been toasted with lack of consistent pressure and 'just miss' coverage.

I just disagree.

I think the offense was worse than the defense. The oline in particular was brutal. We needed to be able to run the ball today, and we couldn't get it done. Blitzing and covering Moss with a safety over the top daring Galloway and Edelman to beat them...we couldn't find a way to do it.

That said, I certainly would not use fantastic to describe the defense, especially in the 2nd half. We played a team with a rookie QB and no no.1 WR, I don't think 16 points is cause for celebration. That third and forever the Patriots D gave up to Washington was a killer (nice tackle James Sanders).

The defense was average today considering the talent of the opposition. The offense was horrid today and the special teams were well below average.

Guyton played ok in the first half . he was horrible in the second. he was very indecisive about what gap he was going to fill and ended up get blown out of the play seveal times.

This d still cant cover the middle of the field and get off 3rd down. not a very good start to the season

Jets were 3/11 on third down conversions.

Sanchez or Manning, anyone will torch you with all day to throw.

the D got torched for ONE quarter, ONE. The other 3, they stopped the Jets. The Jets didn't get **** outside of a FG.

Now the offense on the other hand has struggled since the opening whistle to the season was blown. Its been 2 weeks, so hope is not lost ofcourse. I'm just saying right now we are ridiculously weak up front on offense. Welker didn't kill us today. Brady having no time and being off himself did.

The Jets were absolutely shut down when Sanchez was getting hurried. For what ever reason they went soft, as they love to do, and we paid for it. But when did the Jets go soft? They didn't. Even at times when they were only rushing 4 guys we acted as if it was impossible.

Every play Brady had SOMEONE coming. He never even had a full possession of good pass protection. He hasn't all season outside of the closing minutes of monday night. I just pray this o line can improve like they did last year or we're screwed. Blame the D, blame Galloway. But a few points and drops don't lose you a game. You know, it's funny to me how people here seem to nit pick EVERY little thing and blame everyone for the loss.

I blame the OL. They're the only ones that all day sucked. No RB in NFL history could run behind this line. They are freaking soft, straight up soft when it comes to run blocking. They have no toughness whatsoever when it comes to pushing the pile. Now they can't even protect Brady. We saw the Bills make him run all night, now we see the Jets do it today.

If you guys want to blame a defense for giving up 16 points for a loss when we have such a great offense, go ahead and be ignorant. But look at the results on the field. The OL never got it done, never. I was curious as to why we never went to the short passing game? The one time we did at the end of the 2nd, it killed them. We completely abandoned it and forced a game plan that didn't work.

The D is inconsistent. But we expected that coming in, no? We said all along they just need to play well enough so our offense can win. Well I expect us to score more than 16 most weeks, and this week they didn't. Our D stopped them all first half, **** they even stopped them twice in the 4th qtr. The offense just could not execute.

OL needs to improve, some way or another.

Well said. Telling stat.

Or, common sense. If you have a brain and watched the game.

(I'm not raggin on you, I'm saying for the others)

I know everyone thinks this defense sucks completely, but when you sit back what do you see? The Jets did nearly nothing for 3 quarters. This ones on the offense.

Defense was the only thing that kept us in this game. Although lack of agression is bit underwhelming. I mean I get it, Pats D is about discipline but some butt kicking jail break blizt would be helpful. :confused:

Defense was the only thing that kept us in this game. Although lack of agression is bit underwhelming. I mean I get it, Pats D is about discipline but some butt kicking jail break blizt would be helpful. :confused:

Now here we go, this we can work with.

I do happen to agree with this. Our D always stinks up the joint when ever Pees goes soft. After years of watching him do this, I really think it is what it is. I don't think he'll ever grow a set of balls, because he has shown this for years now. We need to get after more on 3rd downs, it feels like they call the game almost in fear sometimes. JMO.

Jets were 3/11 on third down conversions.

Most if that in the first half. Second half they didnt need third down except the big 3and 13 play which they converted. I agree that the offense let this one get away. maybe i'm just pessed that the jets coming into the game stated they were going to punch us in the mouth and they backed it up.

I think you'll find by the end of the year they will be one of the top defenses in the league. I wouldnt go by last years reputation

That may be true, but what will Tubby's D look like by week 12 when they're all on the same page?

A fantastic effort by our young defense, on the road, in a very hostile environment. Guyton was fantastic in the middle. Wilhite solid in coverage. Wilfork, Warren, Wright and Green had excellent line play. McGowan was a force against the run (did Meriweather play today ?). Even though the offense was seemingly 3 and out all second half, the defense continued to respond.
Nice effort by the defense.

absolutely. if anyone had asked me at 12:59 this afternoon if I'd take an outcome where the Jets will only put up 16 points, I'd have jumped at it...

the O left a bunch of points in the Red Zone in the first half, couldn't get untracked in the second half and hurt itself with penalties. As for Special Teams, I haven't seen the stats, but it seemed like the Jets were starting every drive somewhere past their 30.

but, it's a long season, the defense is relatively young and missing some gut-check players in Bruschi and Rodney and Vrabes, BB can coach his way out of the Special Teams & Penalty issues and the Offense will get synced up and Tom Brady will soon be Tom Brady once again.

Deep breath time, calm down time...I'll eat my three SB hats if the Pats don't win 11 games and the Division this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey