Congrats to Cassel on his First NFL TD Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt has looked good for a rookie.

#1 draft pick Alex Smith: 68/136, 0 TDs, 10 INTs, rating 35.1
#230 draft pick Matt Cassel: 13/24, 2 TD, 1 INT, rating 89.4

Heh. :D

Last edited:
And congrats to him for his 2nd NFL touchdown:)

His first TD pass since high school. :eek:

Update: Now that Alex Smith found the end zone with a pass, his ratings are so improved . . . 84/165, 1 TD, 11 INTs, rating 40.8. Still, advantage Cassel. :)

ctpatsfan77 said:
Update: Now that Alex Smith found the end zone with a pass, his ratings are so improved . . . 84/165, 1 TD, 11 INTs, rating 40.8. Still, advantage Cassel. :)

This thread is sad. What is sadder is that I responded to it!

Drewwho said:
This thread is sad. What is sadder is that I responded to it!
It's actually a good thread in which to say that Cassel looked good against the Dolphons' #1 defense. Good mobility, looked to pass when scrambling, got the ball downfield and was mostly accurate (with some obvious exceptions).

BelichickFan said:
It's actually a good thread in which to say that Cassel looked good against the Dolphons' #1 defense. Good mobility, looked to pass when scrambling, got the ball downfield and was mostly accurate (with some obvious exceptions).

yeah, he looked good in a game that meant nothing to either team. The Dolphins did not look sharp at the end and they were just going through the motions and ending their season.

Fact is we were LUCKY as hell with that roughing the passer call on Cassel in the final seconds and he went from throwing a terrible INT to a very lucky TD due to a weak as hell call.

Sure he looked good, but let's not give that kid too many props. It was the last game of the year against all things decided. Lets see what we have when it truly means something!

Last edited:
He did more today than Rohan EVER did. Right Seymour93?

Zuma said:
He did more today than Rohan EVER did. Right Seymour93?

Well, that is because he has a neck and can see out of his helmet. Davey has a distinct disadvantage his view of the field, geez - anybody can tell that!

Drewwho said:
yeah, he looked good in a game that meant nothing to either team. The Dolphins did not look sharp at the end and they were just going through the motions and ending their season.
The same defense that talked Saban into going back into the game ? No, this wasn't a playoff game but it was against a defense that was the team's #1 defense and was trying to end at 9-7 and on a 6 game winning streak.

Thought he looked better than he did in pre-season. Better decision making in spite of being on the bench all year.

I liked Cassel in TC. Yesterday he showed that he has the potential to be a competent back-up in the NFL. He is definitely a work in progress.

I do not think Miami let up especially on the last drive. They wanted to win this game even if it was against 2nd/3rd string players.

I do agree that the roughing the passer call against Taylor was questionable. I think there have been too many questionable roughing the passer calls this year in the NFL...two against Willie as a matter of fact.

Some things I noticed about Cassel, he seems to have decent pocket awareness and step-up into the pocket, which is good. A bit of evasion there. He really lurches into his throws, and doesn't have any touch on the ball, however.There will be plenty to work on, but there is some potential here, and I for one am happy to see it from this kid.

Patti37 said:
I liked Cassel in TC. Yesterday he showed that he has the potential to be a competent back-up in the NFL. He is definitely a work in progress.

Hear, hear! I'm not looking to Cassel to become the Next Big Thing. I'm looking for a respectable NFL backup who could give you a chance to win a game or two in a pinch. If you can find that in the 7th round for below-salary-cap dollars that is a major coup. So far, so good.

patchick said:
Hear, hear! I'm not looking to Cassel to become the Next Big Thing.

Why not? The "next big thing" could give us bargaining power to get a back up QB and a new power RB! You always want excellence over mediocrity.

All_Around_Brown said:
Why not? The "next big thing" could give us bargaining power to get a back up QB and a new power RB! You always want excellence over mediocrity.

I certainly wasn't rooting for mediocrity! (Suppose I said I'd be happy to find a $20 bill lying on the sidewalk. Does that mean I'd hate to find a $100?)

I was responding to a minority of posters here who seem to have been allergic to any praise of Cassel since the day he was drafted. The odd thing to me is the standard people seem to be holding him to. Most rookies can please us just by surpassing expectations, but Cassel has to do more. Take Drewwho's comments in this thread, such as:

"Sure he looked good, but let's not give that kid too many props. It was the last game of the year against all things decided. Lets see what we have when it truly means something!"

We're talking about a raw 7th-round rookie seeing his first significant NFL action, and we're not supposed to give him "too many props" for a 116 passer rating? Isn't it at least fair to say at this point that Cassel has exceeded expectations and wasn't a "waste" of a draft pick, as many claimed at the time?

I have no clue about Cassel's ceiling. But even if it's just solid backup level, I'm excited about it. The Patriots have needed greater stability at the backup quarterback position, and if they could find it at this price (with the possibility of long-term trade value) that would be a fine thing indeed.

I think Cassel has great upside potential, and, hey, look at the Jets. You never know what can happen playing-time-wise. DEFINITELY not a waste of a draft pick. I'd leave that honor to Mr. Irrelevant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes