PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congrats Steelers! (no sarcasm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Everyone here knows my opinion of the officiating. It was horrendous. And I certainly haven't been silent about it! Regardless, there are two groups of people that can not be blamed in the least. That is the Steelers organization, and there fans. If I have come out sounding harsh towards either group, I apologize. I have not gone to any Steeler boards starting flame wars, and have kept my discusions to Pats boards and a couple of threads in the general forum at KFFL.

As much as the Seahawks got the shaft, so did the Steelers. They very likely may have won had the officiating evened out. They had already won a game were the officiating was blatantly against them (Indy), something the Pats were unable to do. But they were not given the oportunity. Because of the uproar over officiating, the game was stolen from them as much or more then Seattle.

I also think this post below by PATSummerallofthe80s is spot on. He makes no excuses. And I especially agree with the part I bolded. I am certainly not trying to get on anyone's case here. You have to look no further then the threads the last few days to see that I am one of the people he is talking about. But he has a point!

So please keep this thread civil. If you can't say congratulations, please just don't post in this thread. If you can, it would probably be a good gesture.

Congrats Steeler fans. Hope our teams meet again in the AFCC game next year. And of course I hope the Pats smoke the Steelers! :)

PATSummerallofthe80s said:
I just wanted throw my two cents in on something that has been bothering me about this Board for the past two days. In fairness it's on every other Board around the country as well. But I thought you guys (winning three Super Bowls) could at least appreciate a victory regardless of how ugly or how unfair. There wasn't even one congrats Steelers thread here and with the exception of a few, most have done nothing but whine about the Steelers victory.

Was it a lousy Super Bowl? Yes! Did the refs make some horrible calls that hurt Seattle? Yes! Were most people sick of the two week hype of Bettis/Detroit/parents/Porter-Stevens Yes? Unfortunately the story lines were few this year. Is that the Steelers fault? No! An estimated crowd at the game were 90% Steeler fans. doesn't seem fair to Seattle and impartial fans watching probably don't think that's fair. But Seahawk fans had the same opportunities to purchase $2500 to $3000 tickets just like Steelers fans coughed up the $$$ for but they didn't step up. So is that the Steelers fault? Personally I think it makes quite a statement of the loyatly and fan base of the Steelers. Sure Detroit is much closer to Pitt but it's the Super Bowl.

Pittsburgh looked really bad in the game Sunday and Ben was awful. I have heard so many comments about how lucky they were to win. I'm sure two thirds of the NFL felt like they could have beat Pittsburgh on Sunday based on how they played. Maybe that's true, maybe not. The same could be said about how bad New England played against Denver with all of those turnovers. Bad games happen, but through it all, the Steelers were better than anyone by winning their final four games of the year just to make it to a #6 seed, and then win three road playoff games against some of the toughest teams in the NFL including #1, #2, and #3 seeds. While they were favored they were still a #6 seed playing another #1 seed.

The Indy game which the Steelers suffered far worse calls than Seattle, STILL found a way to win. Seattle did not.

So my questions to you New England fans are. Now that the game is over and all of you who jumped on the robbery bandwagon, what are the Steelers suppose to do? Should they give back the Lombardi trophy? Is this their fault that they still persevered and won?

As I said I am disappointed that you guys didn't step up and give Pittsburgh their due. If I missed it somewhere then I stand corrected. I really don't know if it's the Ben the youngest to win a Super Bowl thing, or just a bitter pill to swallow since you ahve dominated the Steelers in the recent past, but Pittsburgh is this year's Champion. To ridicule our 250,000 parade attendence or next year if you win it will be three in a row (reference being that you don't credit this year to Pitt) is poor sportsmanship.

Here is a link to three articles (two written by the Seattle newspaper and one by ESPN). Sorry for my frustration but it is disappointing that the congratulations here was almost non-existent.

http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=77065

sarge said:
Everyone here knows my opinion of the officiating. It was horrendous. And I certainly haven't been silent about it! Regardless, there are two groups of people that can not be blamed in the least. That is the Steelers organization, and there fans. If I have come out sounding harsh towards either group, I apologize. I have not gone to any Steeler boards starting flame wars, and have kept my discusions to Pats boards and a couple of threads in the general forum at KFFL.

As much as the Seahawks got the shaft, so did the Steelers. They very likely may have won had the officiating evened out. They had already won a game were the officiating was blatantly against them (Indy), something the Pats were unable to do. But they were not given the oportunity. Because of the uproar over officiating, the game was stolen from them as much or more then Seattle.

I also think this post below by PATSummerallofthe80s is spot on. He makes no excuses. And I especially agree with the part I bolded. I am certainly not trying to get on anyone's case here. You have to look no further then the threads the last few days to see that I am one of the people he is talking about. But he has a point!

So please keep this thread civil. If you can't say congratulations, please just don't post in this thread. If you can, it would probably be a good gesture.

Congrats Steeler fans. Hope our teams meet again in the AFCC game next year. And of course I hope the Pats smoke the Steelers! :)

Wow! That was extremely generous Sarge and well articulted. Thank you for the kind words.

Last edited:
Said it in the last thread, and I'll say it here... Congrats Steelers.

I hope we annihilate you beyond all recognition next year!

And I can't wait to play the 2006 champs in the 2006-2007 playoffs, so that we can beat them yet again.

Personally, I prefer to recognize that we have great teams in the AFC, six of which should have been favored to beat Seattle. I look forward to playing the top teams, mainly in the playoffs. It is there that we see what we are about, it is in the playoffs against top teams that we are tested.

For four of six years under Belichick, we reached the playoffs. In three years, we won all confrontations, even against the 16-1 Steelers. This year, we were stuffed. We'll be back. Victory is sweeter for me when we beat the best. We did in last year's Championship Game. And they came back to do what we couldn't do. Congrats!

Last edited:
NE_Paddy said:
Said it in the last thread, and I'll say it here... Congrats Steelers.

I hope we annihilate you beyond all recognition next year!

man that would be the best :D

Good point about the Steelers getting the shaft as well.

After waiting for a quarter century, the Steelers and their fans have a tarnished Lombardi trophy - thanks mainly to the refs.

Whether it was the called back Seahawks TD, or Rothelesberger's TD that he freely admits didn't think made it in, the Steelers are victims just like the Seahawks and all NFL fans.

I feel sorry for them - I really do. It's not their fault.

JoeSixPat said:

After waiting for a quarter century, the Steelers and their fans have a tarnished Lombardi trophy - thanks mainly to the refs.

Whether it was the called back Seahawks TD, or Rothelesberger's TD that he freely admits didn't think made it in, the Steelers are victims just like the Seahawks and all NFL fans.

Absolutely. I have Steeler fan friends and they have been curiously silent. It's too bad because they have waited patiently for this and to get it like this has to bite the big one. :(

Agree wholeheartedly!

Sorry for the belated congrats. Looking forward to the challenge of beating the defending champs next year!

:rolleyes:

JoeSixPat said:

This is exactly the way I feel too! The fault lies with the NFL officials for tarnishing the XL trophy!

F the Steelers and F their fans. It has nothing to do with the game, how it was played, the offciating or any like that. I has nothing to do with the Seahawks losing.

It has to do with the Steelers fans and players disrespecting our two MVP's at the SB game. That classless act earns us an apology before we should give out any Congrats to them.

PATSNUTme said:
It has to do with the Steelers fans and players disrespecting our two MVP's at the SB game. That classless act earns us an apology before we should give out any Congrats to them.

I still offer congrats to the steelers for being crowned champs, but I can fully stand by your sentiments here.

It was classless, and did piss me off.

NE_Paddy said:
I still offer congrats to the steelers for being crowned champs, but I can fully stand by your sentiments here.

It was classless, and did piss me off.

You know something... youre absoutelly right... the Stealers were crowned champs by the refs.

The Stealers are the first StinkerBowl Champs... Congrats... :p

And patriot fans wouldn't boo Rothlessbeger or Manning or Marino or Bradshaw

PATSNUTme said:
F the Steelers and F their fans. It has nothing to do with the game, how it was played, the offciating or any like that. I has nothing to do with the Seahawks losing.

ditto

mgteich said:
And patriot fans wouldn't boo Rothlessbeger or Manning or Marino or Bradshaw

None that I know. And, I would be embarrassed by the ones that did.

I respectfully call bull**** Nut.
And I'll tell you a little story of the 2002 Pats-Steelers game wherein many many Pats fans at the game where chanting to Bettis that he was a rapist. So don't talk to me about class. (Turned out the woman accussing Bettis and cohorts set up the whole thing to try and blackmail him).
And I was at the game and yes I did boo Brady. I don't understand what he was doing there for the coin flip. That has always been reserved for a retired player or some other notable person. Not a current player.

I disrespectfully call you a complete idiot if you can't see the difference and you were one of the morons booing.

I'm not even going to try to explain it because you are too dumb to understand it.

Last edited:
from my side NO CONGRATULATIONS AT ALL to the Stillers...

it was so embarassing this Super Bowl that, sorry, i have not the force to do it...

it is more heavy then i thought...

i do not imagine if that happened to us, Pats Fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back