PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congrats Mayo: Defensive Rookie of the Month!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Per Reiss:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/10/mayo_nfl_defens.html

Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo has been named the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Month.

Mayo, a first-round selection (No. 10 overall) from Tennessee, led the team with 24 tackles in the month as the Patriots posted a 3-1 (.750) record in October.

Overall, Mayo has started all seven games at inside linebacker. The rookie leads the team with 55 tackles and has also added one fumble recovery. Mayo posted his best performance of the month in his first appearance on Monday Night Football against Denver (10/20), registering 11 tackles.

Mayo is the first Patriots player to earn Rookie of the Month honors since wide receiver Deion Branch in September of 2002, and he is the first New England player to win Defensive Rookie of the Month since the league started the award in 1996.

82556057.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats go to Mayo. Now let's keep up that impressive performance for the rest of the year! :rocker:

What a backhanded insult to Junior! :rolleyes:

Quit being a troll. And if you're going to be one, don't sour other threads around the forum. Instead, it would be a much better idea to stay in the original thread.

Didn't know the award existed, but he deserves it.

JSn, where did you get the links for this and Gost? Not that I'm doubting you, I'd just like to see the list.

Edit: Reiss, never mind

Last edited:
Cool to see him get some media credit.

Mayo :youtheman:

Given Harrison's probable retirement, I'm going to have to get a new blue jersey for home games. It's currently a toss up between Mayo, Mankins, and Wilfork. He certainly seems to be trying to convince me...

Whoever thought we'd see the day a Bill Belichick drafted LB makes rookie of the month...in October??!! If you understand the premium BB puts on on-field intelligence at this position, what this says about Mayo is incredible.

Love it, dude's only going to get better as the season goes on, assuming injuries can stay the **** away.

I thought Vernon Gholston would get it for sure. He has such a nice body I don't know how you give it to anyone else.

Gholston was just confused; he thought the award went to the defined rookie of the month.

Congrats to Mayo, it's a real breath of fresh air watching him and Guyton out there. And by lightening Bruschi's load they've made him more effective, too.

Gholston was just confused; he thought the award went to the defined rookie of the month.

Congrats to Mayo, it's a real breath of fresh air watching him and Guyton out there. And by lightening Bruschi's load they've made him more effective, too.

Who knows? Maybe it's Guyton's turn next month. :)

Given Harrison's probable retirement, I'm going to have to get a new blue jersey for home games. It's currently a toss up between Mayo, Mankins, and Wilfork. He certainly seems to be trying to convince me...

Get a Mayo, You will get 10-12 years of wear out of it and then you can wear it to his HOF induction. :)

Congrats... but what did he do again? JK. He's been coming along well, but I didn't think he was tearing it up or anything.

I thought Vernon Gholston would get it for sure. He has such a nice body I don't know how you give it to anyone else.

If it were based just on the body... I think Gisele would have won a few already! *drum roll*

Last edited:
Congrats... but what did he do again? JK. He's been coming along well, but I didn't think he was tearing it up or anything.

I'm a tad surprised in the award, just because it actually shows some maturity and insight on the part of the NFL. Not many people outside of NE are noticing Mayo because he's not flashy and thus doesn't show up on highlight reels. He doesn't make picks or sacks, he's just incredibly solid and reliable.

He doesn't make picks or sacks, he's just incredibly solid and reliable.

That last sentence alone is impressive, IMO. Who would have thought that a rooky linebacker would pick up our system quick enough to start from day one? I sure didn't.

That last sentence alone is impressive, IMO. Who would have thought that a rooky linebacker would pick up our system quick enough to start from day one? I sure didn't.

If I offered you 10-to-1 odds last year that not one but two rookies would each take >20% of the snaps at ILB, would anyone have taken me up on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back