PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Conflict of interest????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this. It would seem that all the hullabaloo about a "record" number of underclassmen declaring this year was much ado about nothing. But I have to wonder.

Over 150 underclassmen petitioned the NFL for an estimate on their draft status. Now, if the NFL wanted, couldn't it lowball these kids with estimates for this year and give them a higher estimate for their senior year as a way to limit the number of underclassmen who come out?

And, isn't it in the NFL's best interested to not have a "record" number of underclassmen (they were predicting 75-100) because it dilutes the future drafts AND the future drafts could have more limitations on the salary for the top 15 picks?

Just seems to me that if the NFL is the one providing these kids with the info that its a conflict of interest.

I see your point....but I wonder who prepares this estimate for the underclassmen?? AND I am sure that they have other sources besides the NFL....many many draft sites etc etc...interesting point..but I am sure it's not like you think...or maybe it is MORE like that?? A good question...

We may well end up with 6 picks in the 1st three rounds if we don't defer some to the future ... what a great draft to have 6 of the 1st hundred. What will the difference be between a lower round 1 player and a round 3 player in this draft ... a small difference if your homework has been done correctly.

It's an interesting point, but from what I understand of the draft advisory board process (granted, only pieced together bits) I think it would take a pretty significant bit of collusion. I believe the board canvasses personnel execs from multiple teams to arrive at a consensus range, rather than the league office assigning a projection.

It would make more sense if the NFLPA advised the college

players.

My understanding is that they petition the NFL for the information, that is why I asked. I don't know if there is a separate entity that works for the NFL to provide the players that information or what. Even if it is as Patchick said, that they talk to the execs in the league, with the way the league is changing execs, that could still cause issues.

Just a follow up. I decided to pose the question to Mike Reiss. I figure that if anyone can find out, he could. I'll post any response I happen to get.

I dont believe this is a conflict of interest at all.

I believe the NFL created a special committee to help college kids gain a sense of their potential abilities at the next level. they did this to make sure agents werent clouding the kids' judgment and convincing them to leave school pre-maturely.

its not a conflict of interest because at the end of the day, the players good enough to make it in the NFL will make it. whether a player gets drafted in the 1st or 3rd round makes no difference to the NFL, they only care that the best players make it and this process does not prevent that

so, they will make an unbiased grade to help these 20 and 21 year olds make the best possible decision.

I like how the NFL handles this for underclassmen. While there is some potential for the NFL to weight the process to "manage" the draft class, I don't think it's likely.

Interesting question DB. At least the NFL is not where the NBA was a few years ago taking high school kids and hoping that they will be great. I think the 3 year rule is good. At least the player is @21 when he makes his decision to go Pro. I think that the bigger scoundrals in this are the agents. They loan these kids money and feed them lies about where they are going to go in the draft. How many college football players do you think have heard from agents that they will be First round picks this year? I'm guesing that the number is around 60. The Alabama tackle, got himslef in trouble with an agent, we've all read about the purchase of Reggie Bush. Can you image the throng of agents in Mobile next week?

I think that everyone can agree players that are schedued to go in the top ten should enter the draft. Others HAVE to leave because they are most likley going to be ruled ineligible for some reason.

At least the player is @21 when he makes his decision to go Pro. I think that the bigger scoundrals in this are the agents. They loan these kids money and feed them lies about where they are going to go in the draft. How many college football players do you think have heard from agents that they will be First round picks this year?

...which is exactly why the draft advisory board exists. Even if the NFL board did artificially deflate its estimates (which seems very unlikely to me), it would just be a counterweight to the agents and marketing reps.

I've been thinking about this. It would seem that all the hullabaloo about a "record" number of underclassmen declaring this year was much ado about nothing. But I have to wonder.

Over 150 underclassmen petitioned the NFL for an estimate on their draft status. Now, if the NFL wanted, couldn't it lowball these kids with estimates for this year and give them a higher estimate for their senior year as a way to limit the number of underclassmen who come out?

And, isn't it in the NFL's best interested to not have a "record" number of underclassmen (they were predicting 75-100) because it dilutes the future drafts AND the future drafts could have more limitations on the salary for the top 15 picks?

Just seems to me that if the NFL is the one providing these kids with the info that its a conflict of interest.

I think the NFL would easily be able to justify a higher draft estimate if the players stayed in college for another year of seasoning, if they based it purely on experience. They would have a tougher time downplaying the number of quality players ahead of player-X when the talent pools are taken into consideration. For example, a second rounder in a strong draft might make it into the first round in a weak draft for the position he would likely play. There's room for collusion in most everything so while it's possible, I think it's highly improbable that the NFL would try anything to protect the future of the league at the expense of college players. It would open a huge can of worms and some senator would crawl out from under a rock with antitrust allegations. A class action lawsuit from this would dwarf the so-called spygate scandal. IMO.

What the kids get back from the NFL is a conservative estimate based on what the kids say they got back.

The real sharks in the underclassman equation are the agents. They hang around the players school, practice fields, parents home. They undermine the entire process. They feed these kids false information and pump them up with unrealistic expections, even though it only hurts their potential commission.

As one agent once told me "some commission is better than no commission, especially in the cut throat world of agents."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes