PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Confidence in 4th-down gambit elevates Belichick as NFL rarity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madden is F-A-N-T-A-S-Y football.

Patriots fans prefer REAL WORLD solutions to REAL TIME problems.

I suggest you READ a definitive book on the subject, instead of trying to impress the members of this board with your "fantasy" knowledge.
Start HERE......

FCMcover200.gif

Madden is F-A-N-T-A-S-Y football.

Patriots fans prefer REAL WORLD solutions to REAL TIME problems.

I suggest you READ a definitive book on the subject, instead of trying to impress the members of this board with your "fantasy" knowledge.
Start HERE......
My friend, I think you need to relax a bit. All I am saying is that anyone that watches a lot of football will see pro coaches make boneheaded strategic decisions. As Patriots fans, we've been spoiled with one of the best coaches ever, so we don't see it. My comment wasn't meant to be directed at Belichick but rather at the clueless coaches out there, of which there is no shortage.

Joker said:
Thanks, but I doubt there is anything in that book that I don't already know.

Last edited:
well, since you obviously think YOU are some sort of God's gift of genius to us and the rest of NFL football,please list EVERY Madden player with a job on a coaching level in the NFL, and the input they give their teams from their extensive knowledge of Madden FANTASY football.

I'll wait.

I think all coaches should be required to play Madden 2010 against some regular gamers, because the average Madden player seems to know better situational strategy than many coaches.

There are still some coaches (and announcers) who think it is better to call a time out after the 2:00 warning when you are losing to save 40 seconds instead of before the 2:00 warning to save 20, 10 or even 5 seconds.

Playing the game will teach you why it is best to call the timeout right away instead of waiting, even though you save fewer seconds.

One of the most deluded statements I have ever read in this forum.

Also, if Belichick ever cared to play Madden he destroy us all and use the Chiefs or the Browns to do it. Ooooh, did that sting a little, Ravens fans? ;)

well, since you obviously think YOU are some sort of God's gift of genius to us and the rest of NFL football,please list EVERY Madden player with a job on a coaching level in the NFL, and the input they give their teams from their extensive knowledge of Madden FANTASY football.

I'll wait.
Why are you so angry? My friend, relax. You are getting all worked up over nothing. All I have said is that you see boneheaded coaching decisions in the NFL, especially in the area of clock management. We Patriots fans are blessed in that we don't see boneheaded coaching decisions from our coach, but there is certainly no shortage of them across the league.

Have you ever seen an NFL head coach display poor clock management? Or has every single head coach been 100% perfect in every single football game you have ever watched?

Last edited:

I'll wait.
Actually there's at least one - though he hasn't won a game in the NFL yet.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Bucs’ Morris: Thank Madden for rise of young coaches

What’s the reason for the infusion of younger head coaches in the NFL?

Thirty-two-year-old Raheem Morris, the new coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, has a simple answer: Blame it on John Madden. But that’s not because Madden himself was 32 when he became coach of the Oakland Raiders in 1969.

“Ever since he made that (video) game, everybody thought they could be a coach,” Morris said during this morning’s NFC coaches-media breakfast at the league meeting. “You’ve been creating your own team, you’ve had your own fantasy leagues, you’ve been doing salary caps since you were 12. He ruined the league for the older coaches.”

How much Madden football did Morris play as a youth?

“Are you kidding me?” he said. “I majored in it in college (Hofstra University).”

According to Mr. Madden Is God, a coach steeped in the intricasies of this "fantasy" game should really be showing the rest of the poor dumb league how it's done.

Tampa Bucs....0 wins....3 losses

I'll just bet the rest of the league is in mortal terror of this team now.

According to Mr. Madden Is God, a coach steeped in the intricasies of this "fantasy" game should really be showing the rest of the poor dumb league how it's done.
Now you're just putting words in my mouth. It's a typical internet technique... you put words in someone's mouth and respond to the things you're pretending they've said instead of the things they actually said. I can do it too!!
Tampa Bucs....0 wins....3 losses
Well I bet you think you're God's gift to the NFL and you are certainly smarter than the head coach of the Buccaneers, huh? The guy has dedicated his life to football and you're just some poser on the internet, but you sure do know more about football than he does, huh?

According to you, the Buccaneers would be 3-0 if you were running the team. After all, you know so much more about football than everybody else.

Last edited:
Seems Mr. Fantasy Know It All has gotten his knickers all in a bunch. I NEVER said I was anything other than a fan. It's YOU, making these idiotic proclamations that because YOU play Madden YOU know more than NFL personnel. YOU are preposterous.

I've played plenty of fantasy football over the years but I can separate the "game" from REAL football just by watching a REAL game. There is ZERO correlation between a real time game with real time decisions and poring over stats for hours and weeks on end to field a fantasy team. Obviously the line has become quite blurred in your case.

According to you, the Buccaneers would be 3-0 if you were running the team. After all, you know so much more about football than everybody else.

Never uttered any such nonsense. Just pointed out that an NFL head coach who played "fantasy" football when he was a kid for thousands of hours is NOW 0-3 in REAL TIME GAMES. It is YOUR contention that the whole football world would benefit immensely from the wisdom of Madden players.Again, this is preposterous and indefensible.

Never uttered any such nonsense.
Sure you did. You're sitting here telling everyone how much smarter you are than the current coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. After all, he's 0-3 so you can sit back and talk about how much better they would be with you instead of him.

I think all coaches should be required to play Madden 2010 against some regular gamers, because the average Madden player seems to know better situational strategy than many coaches.

There are still some coaches (and announcers) who think it is better to call a time out after the 2:00 warning when you are losing to save 40 seconds instead of before the 2:00 warning to save 20, 10 or even 5 seconds.

Playing the game will teach you why it is best to call the timeout right away instead of waiting, even though you save fewer seconds.

Of course, as you have been protesting in each subsequent post you've made, you NEVER made this post.

Delusional.

No wonder you think playing Madden makes you an expert NFL analyst.

Perfect post,Jsn....Barney Fife tells the FBI how to properly enforce the law. Perfect analogy.

Wolfpack wasn't trashing on Belichick. He was saying that there are a lot of coaches in the NFL who routinely butcher strategic decisions re: field position and clock management, and I agree with him to an extent. It seems that the rest of the league is catching on though, since a lot of the worst offenders are now unemployed. Now, you pretty much just have Childress (a legitimate mystery why he still has a job) Andy Reid (who is otherwise an excellent coach) and a few others. I agree that in a high-level competitive Madden league, you'll see better clock management than you would in a game between two particularly bad NFL coaches (Childress, Herm Edwards, Romeo Crennel, Art Shell etc- most of them are now unemployed for a reason).

Why is that? Because when you're playing a video game, you can afford to take more chances than you can when your entire livelihood depends on not making an ass of yourself. IMO, I doubt that these guys fundamentally don't get it- I think they're just afraid of opening themselves up to second-guessing, so they make the traditional, accepted choice even when it's the wrong one. Lucky for us, Belichick understands that that's a crappy way to coach, and just as luckily for us, Kraft is an awesome owner who doesn't give Belichick any reason to feel like he has to play it safe.

Either way, the people coming down hard on Wolfpack are missing the point- he never even suggested what some of you guys are jumping all over him for. Chill the **** out.

Last edited:
Wolfpack wasn't trashing on Belichick. He was saying that there are a lot of coaches in the NFL who routinely butcher strategic decisions re: field position and clock management, and I agree with him to an extent. It seems that the rest of the league is catching on though, since a lot of the worst offenders are now unemployed. Now, you pretty much just have Childress (a legitimate mystery why he still has a job) Andy Reid (who is otherwise an excellent coach) and a few others. I agree that in a high-level competitive Madden league, you'll see better clock management than you would in a game between two particularly bad NFL coaches (Childress, Herm Edwards, Romeo Crennel, Art Shell etc- most of them are now unemployed for a reason).

Why is that? Because when you're playing a video game, you can afford to take more chances than you can when your entire livelihood depends on not making an ass of yourself. IMO, I doubt that these guys fundamentally don't get it- I think they're just afraid of opening themselves up to second-guessing, so they make the traditional, accepted choice even when it's the wrong one. Lucky for us, Belichick understands that that's a crappy way to coach, and just as luckily for us, Kraft is an awesome owner who doesn't give Belichick any reason to feel like he has to play it safe.

Either way, the people coming down hard on Wolfpack are missing the point- he never even suggested what some of you guys are jumping all over him for. Chill the **** out.
Thank you! Basically you have done a far better job of stating the point I was trying to make, and I am grateful for your well-written words. Perhaps one day I shall become a more eloquent writer, but don't hold your breath :D

And on that note, let us turn our attention to Baltimore!

I promised myself I would drop out of this thread, but I can't resist...

I just would like to point out Coach Harbaugh's ridiculous timeout blunder at the end of the first half as a textbook example of the type of mistake I was talking about in the thread. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights on the sidelines not knowing what he should do, so he panicked and did the worst thing imagineable.

It never ceases to amaze me how many NFL coaches just don't understand clock management 101. Kudos to Simms for calling him out on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back