PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Confessions of a fair weather fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a Pats fans since my father took his 11 year old son to see the Pats play the Bills at BU in 1960. I died listening to the AFL Championship loss to SD in 1963 and remained a fan throughout the mediocrity that was most of the next 10 year. I loved the good teams of the late 70's, right up to the magic Superbowl run in 1985. I stayed on during the slow decline of that 85 team into the nadir of teams we had to ive through during the late 80's and early 90's. I became even a more rabid fan after I discovered the internet and thoroughly enjoyed the rise of the Pats after Kraft bought the team. I survived the 96 superbowl loss and the Parcells betrayal. I defended Pete Carroll all through his mediocre reign (thanks a lot Bobby Grier ) AND finally, I enjoyed the great ride that we have had since BB arrived......and then came Feb. 2008.

After that game I sat in front of my TV in that stunned, unbelieving, coma-like trance that most of you can relate to. It was my NEXT reaction that was surprising. From that night I found that I couldn't bear to hear, read or watch anything that had to do with professional footbal. I figured it would last until the draft, but it didn't. It continued, granted I did read about the draft picks in the paper, but I didn't connect with any of the players. Then to make matters worse I had open heart surgery. That knocked me out for 2+ months

Thilngs got better when the camp got started. I started reading about the 2008 Pats and getting caught up. I started looking at the message boards but still couldn't post. THEN I caught the first half of the first preseason game and watching the rookie LBs play (as well as the general good play of the defense) Suddenly my fire was RELIT.

There that's my confession. I feel a little guilty for woossing out after the game, but I'm really looking forward to this season and participating with all of you.

That night that I still can't talk about or watch clips of, I deleted all of the season games off my tivo. It still hurts, but I am ready for a new season.....

wellcome back too from my side, Ken

all the best

I have been a Pats fans since my father took his 11 year old son to see the Pats play the Bills at BU in 1960. I died listening to the AFL Championship loss to SD in 1963 and remained a fan throughout the mediocrity that was most of the next 10 year. I loved the good teams of the late 70's, right up to the magic Superbowl run in 1985. I stayed on during the slow decline of that 85 team into the nadir of teams we had to ive through during the late 80's and early 90's. I became even a more rabid fan after I discovered the internet and thoroughly enjoyed the rise of the Pats after Kraft bought the team. I survived the 96 superbowl loss and the Parcells betrayal. I defended Pete Carroll all through his mediocre reign (thanks a lot Bobby Grier ) AND finally, I enjoyed the great ride that we have had since BB arrived......and then came Feb. 2008.

After that game I sat in front of my TV in that stunned, unbelieving, coma-like trance that most of you can relate to. It was my NEXT reaction that was surprising. From that night I found that I couldn't bear to hear, read or watch anything that had to do with professional footbal. I figured it would last until the draft, but it didn't. It continued, granted I did read about the draft picks in the paper, but I didn't connect with any of the players. Then to make matters worse I had open heart surgery. That knocked me out for 2+ months

Thilngs got better when the camp got started. I started reading about the 2008 Pats and getting caught up. I started looking at the message boards but still couldn't post. THEN I caught the first half of the first preseason game and watching the rookie LBs play (as well as the general good play of the defense) Suddenly my fire was RELIT.

There that's my confession. I feel a little guilty for woossing out after the game, but I'm really looking forward to this season and participating with all of you.

i actually watched a replay of the super bowl a few nights ago. neither team was particularly effective. we did hold sheli to 3 points through 3 quarters. they just made one more play than we did in the end. giants fans have to live with the fact that they won on a fluke. it was embarrassing though to lose to the worst super bowl winning team in NFL history (i can't think of a worse team than last year's giants).

what actually got me through this is the fact that I know we will be a better team next year. We've added Mayo, Wheatley, Wilhite, Crable and Lynch, among others, to defense. Plus we've added Jordan to offense, which has largely remained in tact. I'm glad Stallworth is gone so that we can go from being pass happy to running the ball. I myself felt last year that Stallworth's presence made us throw the ball more than we should have (if he's on the field he's gotta earn his paycheck somehow).

in addition we've added dom capers as our DBs coach.

i really hated last year's team. i did not like us passing the ball the way we did. i did not like how our defense lacked physicalness. I want to go back to how we were in 2004.

with all of this, I wouldn't be surprised if we went undefeated next year. Not with our easier schedule and all. the whole world hated us last year, they're going to hate us even more next year.

Last edited:
Ken--glad to have you and your ticker back.

That night that I still can't talk about or watch clips of, I deleted all of the season games off my tivo. It still hurts, but I am ready for a new season.....

If you felt you had to, I can understand, but, I know that for me at least, the joy of watching those games >> the sorrow dredged up when I think about it.

One other interesting point--a couple of weeks ago I saw an NFL Films show about the 2007 Chargers season. It went all the way to their heroic win against the Colts . . . and then just ended, with basically no mention of the AFCCG. Which leads me to wonder--when #12 finally hangs 'em up, why can't we get a 30-DVD set "Tom Brady: Every Single Win of His NFL Career"? :)

Last edited:
Welcome back to the board Ken. I'm glad to hear you got through the surgery OK.

Welcome back, PFK. Think of all the opportunities in this season: to spank Mangina & Favre, to beat Pennington in Miami, and help the Colts to a loss in their new stadium, to beat the Chargers at home.

Lots of great fun to look forward to. Here's to a heartwarming season!

Ken, you f**kin rock.
Welcome back.

Well you are definitely not a fair weather fan. In fact, I almost thought you were writing about me. I shared most of your reaction with the exception that I did follow the draft although not to the extent of previous years. I don't know what to expect of the team this year, letdown, lack of focus or unfinished business? With Favre and Pennington, if he stays healthy, it could be a more competitive year. Regardless, I'm ready for some football and can't wait to see what our real team will look like this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back