PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Confessions of a fair weather fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have been a Pats fans since my father took his 11 year old son to see the Pats play the Bills at BU in 1960. I died listening to the AFL Championship loss to SD in 1963 and remained a fan throughout the mediocrity that was most of the next 10 year. I loved the good teams of the late 70's, right up to the magic Superbowl run in 1985. I stayed on during the slow decline of that 85 team into the nadir of teams we had to ive through during the late 80's and early 90's. I became even a more rabid fan after I discovered the internet and thoroughly enjoyed the rise of the Pats after Kraft bought the team. I survived the 96 superbowl loss and the Parcells betrayal. I defended Pete Carroll all through his mediocre reign (thanks a lot Bobby Grier ) AND finally, I enjoyed the great ride that we have had since BB arrived......and then came Feb. 2008.

After that game I sat in front of my TV in that stunned, unbelieving, coma-like trance that most of you can relate to. It was my NEXT reaction that was surprising. From that night I found that I couldn't bear to hear, read or watch anything that had to do with professional footbal. I figured it would last until the draft, but it didn't. It continued, granted I did read about the draft picks in the paper, but I didn't connect with any of the players. Then to make matters worse I had open heart surgery. That knocked me out for 2+ months

Thilngs got better when the camp got started. I started reading about the 2008 Pats and getting caught up. I started looking at the message boards but still couldn't post. THEN I caught the first half of the first preseason game and watching the rookie LBs play (as well as the general good play of the defense) Suddenly my fire was RELIT.

There that's my confession. I feel a little guilty for woossing out after the game, but I'm really looking forward to this season and participating with all of you.

There was something about a thread by patfanken titled "Confessions of a fair weather fan" that didn't quite work in my mind.

Ken, you're not a fair weather fan. Believe me.

We all had our ways of dealing with that devastating night. For some (like you), it was simply blocking out football and coming back with a clear mind. For others (like me), it was looking towards the future, dealing with offseason rosters, free agency, and the like. I wouldn't call one or another better; simply denying that Super Bowl XLII happened and waking up the next day like it was any other doesn't make me any more of a fan.

Last edited:
I have been a Pats fans since my father took his 11 year old son to see the Pats play the Bills at BU in 1960. I died listening to the AFL Championship loss to SD in 1963 and remained a fan throughout the mediocrity that was most of the next 10 year. I loved the good teams of the late 70's, right up to the magic Superbowl run in 1985. I stayed on during the slow decline of that 85 team into the nadir of teams we had to ive through during the late 80's and early 90's. I became even a more rabid fan after I discovered the internet and thoroughly enjoyed the rise of the Pats after Kraft bought the team. I survived the 96 superbowl loss and the Parcells betrayal. I defended Pete Carroll all through his mediocre reign (thanks a lot Bobby Grier ) AND finally, I enjoyed the great ride that we have had since BB arrived......and then came Feb. 2008.

After that game I sat in front of my TV in that stunned, unbelieving, coma-like trance that most of you can relate to. It was my NEXT reaction that was surprising. From that night I found that I couldn't bear to hear, read or watch anything that had to do with professional footbal. I figured it would last until the draft, but it didn't. It continued, granted I did read about the draft picks in the paper, but I didn't connect with any of the players. Then to make matters worse I had open heart surgery. That knocked me out for 2+ months

Thilngs got better when the camp got started. I started reading about the 2008 Pats and getting caught up. I started looking at the message boards but still couldn't post. THEN I caught the first half of the first preseason game and watching the rookie LBs play (as well as the general good play of the defense) Suddenly my fire was RELIT.

There that's my confession. I feel a little guilty for woossing out after the game, but I'm really looking forward to this season and participating with all of you.

Ken - you never left man and you know it. You took a little break was all, but wasn't it a bit extreme to have open heart surgery to take the break??

Your here and be thankful for that alone.

Oh and by the way, of course your fire has been re-lit - this team looks awesome!! Winning this Superbowl this year will enable you to go back and look at the 2007 season a little differently.

Glad to see you back here at Patsfans....your contributions are always a treat.

Let's all hope the team's performance this year will be as strong as your new heart.

Cheers!

Good to have you back, Ken, good to see you back after the surgery. That game threw us all for a loop but we have an awesome team again, let's enjoy it while we've got it.

Welcome back, Ken. I hope you are fully recovered and ready to enjoy the season.

I was wondering where you went, PFKen. Glad you're back and it's good to hear you're healthy. Hope your heart stays strong.

I can't wait to read your pre game recaps every week if you still do them. Your stuff is good enough to be published.

The 4 months after the Super Bowl were an extended funeral, filled with controversy and recrimination. You missed nothing. Now it's time for a rebirth.

Welcome back Ken. I thought you had gone over the the dark side ( Jets).:D

One more sign that the season is just around the corner.:rocker:

Hope your health is good. Football's only a game (there, I said it). As a former Red Sox fanatic who clung to every minute of the ridiculous post game show Eddie Andelman extended all night after the unbelievable choke of chokes in 1986, my sanity hanging by a thread, I think I'm fairly immune to being that shocked by a sporting event again.

My confession:

I saw it coming. Not so much to predict, but an uneasy feeling in my stomach like I never shook during my Mexican vacation. The more perfect talk, the more stomp on the other team, the more record breaking passing throw to Moss in triple coverage let the running game rot, I felt something.

I saw the Rams and the Colts and we were them. Suddenly margin of victory and press clippings on perfection were what mattered.

Oh well.

We've got linebackers that can run and three running backs that all have power. And we haven't lost anything significant IMO (4th receiver?)

Hubris has defeated heroes through history.

It's a new season. Hope you're feeling well, you're not responsible for the weather now.

Hey, PFKen, you are no different than any of us. I couldn't even LOOK at a sports show or site on the internet, or even turn on the TV or look at a paper for almost a week after that loss. I, Too, went into something like a Patriots Coma for several weeks. It wasn't until the draft came around that I could actually sit and watch the DVD of that game again. I've watched it several times, and each time I do I get angrier and angrier. I have since put the DVD away and will not bring it out for some time to come.

I am better now :) I am all excited about this coming year, and have been putting my Patriots Shrine back together in my living room in anticipation of opening night. This is going to be a GREAT year.

Take care of yourself and that heart of yours. It's good to see you back and posting. I don't post as much as I would like, but I surf through here daily.

Respects,

Welcome back PFK.
I'm another longtime fan who suffered thru the worst years but Feb was the toughest for me. Since I don't watch pre-game shows and I was away in FL I totally missed the Tomasse fiasco. Had a BAD feeling right from the 1st series of the game; went REALLY bad after the early series of the 1st half, although I knew the Pats would score on their last drive. Watching the SB with 15 seconds to go I shut off the TV. Previously I'd been pissed that I was driving 2 hrs to Disney to meet with the grand.Rs the next morning and would "miss" all the post game talk and TV but instead, I was saved. Read and listened to NO football whatsoever until just before the draft. Had to look at Giants fans wearing new SB victory caps that very monday afternoon at Disney. Bastids.

After Plax's catch i just turned off the TV and have been cold turkey until the opening of TC. The Celtics season helped alot. Now it's great to be back and looking forward to another successful season.

Ken, I wish you good health this season and A LOT OF FUN.

Your definitely not alone. I've had similar feelings over the past half year (wow, time flies). I didn't even watch ESPN until baseball season started and I still try to avoid it like the plague. Not helping matters was a relatively boring offseason free agency wise. I am confident though that the fire will return for me on September 7 when the real season kicks off.

You whiney, sniveling bum! Nice to hear you're over the broken heart (surgery even, sheesh) and ready to pontificate on the Pats again. Speaking of which, where is your analysis of the Ravens game? Let's get back on the ball sir! :horn:

Ken,

I am there as well. You could probably count the number of posts I have had since the SB on 1 hand.

It's getting better as the season starts, but it will still stay with me for a very long time.

I'll never get over it but i have moved forward, glad you recovered from major surgery ken

Ken, reading a post by Patsfanken again is good for MY heart!

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back