PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Conference Championships: THE (?) media picks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where exactly did they conclude the Ravens would actually have an advantage?

Long passing game on offense, pass rush and run defense.

How do they figure that Baltimore has a better run defense? Based on how the Ravens performed prior to this season? An overreaction to last week's game at Denver, against an overrated Broncos running game whose stats were inflated against teams like the Chiefs and Raiders? Without Willis McGahee Denver was relying on bust Knowshon Moreno, who had just 44 yards and 2.9 ypc in week 17 vs lowly KC, and 3.5 ypc the week before against Cleveland.

Pats are allowing fewer yards per carry (in fact they rank 6th, at 3.9), and rank 9th at 101.9 yards per game; by comparison Baltimore is 20th at 122.8. Ravens have allowed 15 rushing touchdown; the Pats 10.

Whoever it was that was sloppy journalism leading to flawed analysis, which resulted in invalid conclusions and opinions.

Last edited:
Didn't your SP teams allow two TDs to Denver?

As I said, it was VERY uncharacteristic of the 2012/13 Ravens.

Wasn't Evans stripped? Why is he getting blamed?

Yes, and I do give him more of a pass than many Ravens fans do. But, trust me, Anquan Boldin would not have allowed that pass to be knocked away. So Evans ain't blameless.

Wouldn't Cundiff's FG just tie the game not win it?

Yes, and no one knows what would've happened after that. But it certainly would've increased the Ravens' chance of victory significantly from 0% to maybe 40% or higher.

Doesn't Smith catch long passes only, not exactly a volume receiver like Boldin or Welker?

Actually Smith has developed into a decent all-around WR. The deep ball is what gets on the highlight reels, but he can get the job done short-to-medium, too. See his 5-yard TD vs. New England back in September, for instance.

Stars on D? Hmmm....take a look at the NE's LBs and DE's.

We have a couple of future HOF's on D, plus perennial All-Pro Haloti Ngata. I like Wilfork a lot, but I don't see any other All-Pros on the Pats' D. He and Ninkovich are solid, but I'd rank Suggs/Kruger slightly higher.

The Ravens may very well win but me thinks this logic is a bit well flawed?

Eh, it made sense to me when I typed it! Maybe my above clarifications help. ;)

I purposely avoid the pre-game stuff during the week, as no matter how my team is portrayed, I tend to view it through purple-colored glasses, and feel like the Ravens are getting short-changed at every corner.

Some of you are wondering why anyone would pick the Ravens to win. I see the game as a coin flip, considering a) recent performances by both teams and b) recent games in the series between the teams.
I wouldn't put too much weight into what happened in previous years myself (even though the Pats are 7-2 against the Ravens). They are both significantly different teams from even earlier this year, never mind from previous seasons.

The Ravens faced a much tougher assignment than N.E. did last weekend,
Did they? Or was Denver over-hyped based on a soft schedule (and the media's fawning over Manning), especially without McGahee? One team won 13 games, the other won 12. Even if that's not the case isn't that logic a wash, considering it took two overtimes for the Ravens to win, while the Pats were up 38-13 in the 4th quarter before cruising to a 13-point win?

and really should've won going away if not for two completely out of character special teams breakdowns. Take those away and we wouldn't have needed a last-second miracle TD. New England, to their credit, did what they were supposed to do, dismantled an inferior opponent, who was clearing trending down in their recent performances, at home.
You could look at it that way. Or you could look at it as being fortunate to have won the game; works both ways.

Honestly, I feel more confident of a Ravens win this week than I did last week. Mostly because I didn't have much confidence at all going into Denver!
I have seen similar sentiments from many Ravens fans. I don't understand why beating Denver means Baltimore will also beat New England.

But the Ravens, like the Pats, are peeking right now. Their recently revamped OL is playing very well, which was NOT the case throughout the regular season. The secondary has gotten over the loss of Webb (no small feat), with Corey Graham becoming a very good corner (Cary Williams, on the other hand, still has his problems). And Flacco-to-Smith is becoming a deadly combination that few teams have been able to stop lately.
I absolutely agree that the Ravens OL has improved late in the season, with with Bryant McKinnie healthy enough to play LT, moving Michael Oher over to RT, and Kelechi Osemele to LG. In terms of pass coverage though, who covers Welker? Who covers Hernandez? Who takes care of a RB like Vereen on passes out of the backfield?[/quote]

So, my confidence is based on:

1) Our defense playing better right now, with more proven play-makers than the Pats'.
The Ravens defense has indeed been playing better since week 16 (i.e., after the Broncos loss and since beating the Giants). In that same time frame the Pats are allowing less than 15 points per game, so while I completely agree that Ravens D is playing better than they had been playing, I would also hesitate to say the Ravens D is playing better than the Pats D.

As for more proven-play makers, don't the Patriots have more proven-play makers on offense - making that a wash? Also, those defensive play-makers are either a step or two slower due to age (Ray Lewis, Ed Reed), or injuries (Lewis, Terrell Suggs). Suggs was the best defensive player in the NFL last year in my book, but he doesn't appear to have the same burst right now in my opinion.

2) Our offense playing at a high level - basically, the Patriots' offense's advantage over the Ravens' offense isn't quite as great as the Ravens' defense's advantage over the Pats' (hope that makes sense).
Again, I think the two defenses are about at the same level. Consider turnovers - quite possibly the most important factor leading to points. The Pats were 2nd in the NFL with 41; that is 16 more than the number the Ravens had.

3) Our special teams are superior, and I expect they'll clamp down after last week's disastrous performance. Jacoby Jones could be a huge factor tomorrow night.
Both teams had bad ST coverage last week, I would expect that to improve for both squads. While the Ravens did indeed rank 1st in kickoff returns, the Pats were 3rd in kickoff coverage: another wash. The averages in net punt yards and coverage are so close (a yard or two) it's no real advantage for either team.

Could the Pats blow out the Ravens? Sure, their offense is capable of putting up 40-plus on any team. But recent history suggests it will be very close, and I feel like it's "our time," for whatever that's worth.

Hoping for a hard fought game, with no bad injuries and no horrible calls for either side to whine about all off-season! The one "good" thing about last year's Evans/Cundiff meltdowns was that we Ravens fans didn't do much finger-pointing toward the refs - we reserved all our venom for the chokesters in purple!

I would expect it to be fairly close as well. Could the Ravens win? Absolutely! In my opinion the defenses are comparable, but the Pats are better on offense - which makes me think a Pats win is more likely.

Skip Bayless took Patriots 24-21 on "First Take", which shouldn't surprise any one really. I didn't see Stephen A.'s pick but I believe he said if the Ravens get pressure on Brady it won't be close.

Have people been watching Brady lately? Guy is playing well in the face of pressure, he is maneuvering all around the pocket.

Greenburg and Golic are a joke

I have no idea how Greenberg got where he is. His arguments usually defy logic and he is one of the gullible guys I've seen in the business. Plus, him having to mention that he's a Jets fan every five minutes is irritating beyond belief.

I'm curious - does anyone remember what the chatter was like before last year's game? I don't even remember who was favored, personally.

Pats were favored by 7.

Wasn't it last year that Suggs was flapping his gums about 'we aggressive, they finesse', and yapping about the tuck rule and taping opponent's practices?

I purposely avoid the pre-game stuff during the week, as no matter how my team is portrayed, I tend to view it through purple-colored glasses, and feel like the Ravens are getting short-changed at every corner.

Some of you are wondering why anyone would pick the Ravens to win. I see the game as a coin flip, considering a) recent performances by both teams and b) recent games in the series between the teams. The Ravens faced a much tougher assignment than N.E. did last weekend, and really should've won going away if not for two completely out of character special teams breakdowns. Take those away and we wouldn't have needed a last-second miracle TD. New England, to their credit, did what they were supposed to do, dismantled an inferior opponent, who was clearing trending down in their recent performances, at home.

Honestly, I feel more confident of a Ravens win this week than I did last week. Mostly because I didn't have much confidence at all going into Denver! But the Ravens, like the Pats, are peeking right now. Their recently revamped OL is playing very well, which was NOT the case throughout the regular season. The secondary has gotten over the loss of Webb (no small feat), with Corey Graham becoming a very good corner (Cary Williams, on the other hand, still has his problems). And Flacco-to-Smith is becoming a deadly combination that few teams have been able to stop lately.

1) Our defense playing better right now, with more proven play-makers than the Pats'.
2) Our offense playing at a high level - basically, the Patriots' offense's advantage over the Ravens' offense isn't quite as great as the Ravens' defense's advantage over the Pats' (hope that makes sense).
3) Our special teams are superior, and I expect they'll clamp down after last week's disastrous performance. Jacoby Jones could be a huge factor tomorrow night.

Could the Pats blow out the Ravens? Sure, their offense is capable of putting up 40-plus on any team. But recent history suggests it will be very close, and I feel like it's "our time," for whatever that's worth.

Hoping for a hard fought game, with no bad injuries and no horrible calls for either side to whine about all off-season! The one "good" thing about last year's Evans/Cundiff meltdowns was that we Ravens fans didn't do much finger-pointing toward the refs - we reserved all our venom for the chokesters in purple!

Actually, the Ravens didn't face a tougher assignment.

The Texans are a much better team than the two that faced off in Denver last Saturday.

Evidence of this is the fact they blew both teams out this year.

For a post so dependent on "recent history", you seem to be missing critical pieces of it.

Also, your offense isn't really playing at a "high level". A "Hail Mary" doesn't qualify. What you witnessed in Denver, was bad coaching. Del Rio and/or Fox should have given Champ Bailey help. He looked half speed.

That would have ended that. The Ravens showed zero ability to sustain any type of drive.

As far as the defenses go, you do realize the Patriots defense negated a much better back in Arian Foster? Also, it's great to have "playmakers". However, Ed Reed sucked last Saturday. Hope you don't include him in that category.

Ray did look great making tackles 10 yards downfield and after receivers burned him for catch after catch.

Last year, the Ravens were gifted +2 in turnovers and..........STILL LOST.

You realize how much worse you have to be to be +2 in turnovers and lose?

Actually it's easy because an real review of last year's AFCCG would make it painfully obvious how physically dominant the Patriots were on both sides of the ball.

Pats were favored by 7.

Wasn't it last year that Suggs was flapping his gums about 'we aggressive, they finesse', and yapping about the tuck rule and taping opponent's practices?

Yeah, I thought the spread was around there (and it makes sense - these games tend to be close and the home team gets 3 points) but was more curious if there was the sort of overwhelming support for the Pats that this year's crop of media folks seem to be showing. At least from my travels it seems like most "experts" expect the Pats to win, was wondering if that was the case last year as well.

I think you're right on Suggs. That guy irritates me although I'd probably dig him if he was on the Pats.

Yeah, I thought the spread was around there (and it makes sense - these games tend to be close and the home team gets 3 points) but was more curious if there was the sort of overwhelming support for the Pats that this year's crop of media folks seem to be showing. At least from my travels it seems like most "experts" expect the Pats to win, was wondering if that was the case last year as well.

I think you're right on Suggs. That guy irritates me although I'd probably dig him if he was on the Pats.

If I recall correctly it was fairly even. A lot of the media brought up the 2009-10 playoff game that the Ravens won as evidence that Baltimore had the Pats number.

If I recall correctly it was fairly even. A lot of the media brought up the 2009-10 playoff game that the Ravens won as evidence that Baltimore had the Pats number.

I was watching the Belichcik/Football Life show today, and it's amazing what a distant memory that 09-10 team seems, even though it was just three years ago. I think it's because it seemed like a different culture snuck in for a bit there; amazing how thoroughly the organization turned that around.

I was watching the Belichcik/Football Life show today, and it's amazing what a distant memory that 09-10 team seems, even though it was just three years ago. I think it's because it seemed like a different culture snuck in for a bit there; amazing how thoroughly the organization turned that around.

The really amazing part is that we still won 10 games that year. It's going to be a sad day when Belichick and Brady are gone.

Yeah, and how big he drafted since then. The one problem with that is how slow the linebackers look on screen passes.

Foster had some big catches last week.

I'm curious - does anyone remember what the chatter was like before last year's game? I don't even remember who was favored, personally.

The only media prediction I remember from last year was Jason Whitlock picking the Ravens because he really liked The Wire.

And The Wire took place in Baltimore and the Ravens are from Baltimore so, they would win convincingly. I forget the exact reasoning, but it was something like that.

I have no idea how Greenberg got where he is. His arguments usually defy logic and he is one of the gullible guys I've seen in the business. Plus, him having to mention that he's a Jets fan every five minutes is irritating beyond belief.

Greeney is admittedly emotional, but he is constantly entertaining, tries hard to be logical and is very candid. I love him as a sports talk show host.

As far as him being a die-hard Jets fan, you could also consider it an opportunity to laugh throughout the morning. :D

Greeney is admittedly emotional, but he is constantly entertaining, tries hard to be logical and is very candid. I love him as a sports talk show host.

As far as him being a die-hard Jets fan, you could also consider it an opportunity to laugh throughout the morning. :D
Greenberg is OK if you like your radio hosts dribbling **** non-stop.

Greg Bedard weighs in with Pats 23-20. (Subscription site).

The (2011) Giants and Ravens are very similar offensively: solid offensive lines, a preference to run, weapons in all three areas of the field, and a quarterback who will at times (especially early in games) look awkward, but will take any licks you can dish out, and make big-time throws at the end of games.

Defensively, last year’s Giants were slow and injured at linebacker and injury ravaged in the secondary. Just like these Ravens.

There’s one huge difference, and I think this is where the Patriots will find their edge to emerge with a victory: the Ravens aren’t the equal of the Giants in terms of four-man rush, though Terrell Suggs (upper arm) has improved, and Paul Kruger has been outstanding in the playoffs.

Much more analysis in the column.

Also, the Globe's Jm McBride, in his weekly breakdown, has Pats 31-28.

Some of you are wondering why anyone would pick the Ravens to win. I see the game as a coin flip, considering a) recent performances by both teams and b) recent games in the series between the teams. The Ravens faced a much tougher assignment than N.E. did last weekend, and really should've won going away if not for two completely out of character special teams breakdowns. Take those away and we wouldn't have needed a last-second miracle TD. New England, to their credit, did what they were supposed to do, dismantled an inferior opponent, who was clearing trending down in their recent performances, at home.

Honestly, I feel more confident of a Ravens win this week than I did last week. Mostly because I didn't have much confidence at all going into Denver! But the Ravens, like the Pats, are peeking right now. Their recently revamped OL is playing very well, which was NOT the case throughout the regular season. The secondary has gotten over the loss of Webb (no small feat), with Corey Graham becoming a very good corner (Cary Williams, on the other hand, still has his problems). And Flacco-to-Smith is becoming a deadly combination that few teams have been able to stop lately.

As you are a Ravens fan, it doesn't surprise me that you find reasons to believe in the Ravens. But I don't think they stack up.

This year the Ravens gave up more points than the Patriots. If you want to compare improvements in defense, the Ravens are playing somewhat better, the Patriots defense (i.e. the secondary) is tremendously improved from earlier in the year. I'd suggest that comparing defensive improvements shows a decided edge to the Patriots.

I'd also note that the biggest plays from "playmakers" is to force a turnover, something I believe the Patriots and leading or close to leading the NFL in. (They're overall turnover differential was best in the league but that's partially a function of the low turnovers on offense.)

As noted above, there wasn't a Ravens' defensive advantage in either the long term (season) or short-term (recent play) based both on statistics and on the eye test.

As far as improvement with the Ravens' offense, clearly the consensus is that the OL play has improved. The Patriots really haven't changed a lot this year; they're just dominant. They're also arguably healthier now than at any point since week 1. Given that the Ravens' defense isn't close to their 2009 level and is markedly weaker than even their 2011 defense, it would be surprising if the Patriots don't put up their average 30+ points tonight.

That being said, the Ravens' are as good as any team in the NFL in keeping games close. I was ecstatic for the Ravens last week as they pulled off the miracle in Denver and their grittiness was on full display.

As noted elsewhere, special teams are pretty much a wash. Both teams had bad performances last week after a great regular season.

I'm right there with you on feeling like it's "our time" - with "our" being the Patriots. Except for Gronk, everyone is back from injuries, the defense has gelled big-time and the offense is clicking. Playing at home is icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back