Welcome to PatsFans.com

confederate flag keeps kids from graduation

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by otis p. driftwood, Jun 5, 2008.

1. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=513203

Notice that the ACLU says they don't have a case. I have no proof, but I'm betting if it was an Iranian flag the ACLU would be right in there outraged.

2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0

The ACLU is right, the kids don't probably have a case.

While I can understand that the Confederate flag is a sign of heritage for some, I can certainly appreciate the fact that to others, it is a sign of oppression, bigotry and the ultimate symbol of treason in this country. If the Student Code of Conduct prohibits behavior that may provoke or offend other students, then they are guilty as charged. No way in hell whipping out the "stars and bars" at a school function won't provoke or offend someone else.

They were right to be disciplined, apologies to Daisy Duke aside. :rocker:

By that same tolken, I think you are 100% correct that the ACLU changes it's stance if they whip out a mexican/Che/Iranian/etc........ flag. Without question.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

The ACLU doesn't take a political stance like that. They've defended the KKK before.

4. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What I don't understand is this: they left them on their trucks, in the parking lot. So where does that stuff stop? At some point will they start policing bumper stickers, say?

Because according to the article that's all they did, have them on their trucks in the parking lot. So yes, they brought them to school, but not into school, as I understand it.

5. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

ACLU absolutely takes political stances. Yes, they've defended the KKK. On the other hand, when G. Gordon Liddy's constitutional rights were being violated, they refused to get involved.

Where ya been bud? I was starting to get worried. I was afraid the yellow ninja might've gotten ya :D

6. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0

Actually, they (school) say's that were running around with the flag in the parking lot (of a school function). They have that right. Those kids are yahoo's that got their peepee smacked for doing something stupid.

Perhaps next time, their silly, red-neck asses will think twice before doing something else they deem "rebellious". They admit that were looking to make a statement. They did, SO DID THE SCHOOL. That's called corrective action. Happens all the time. Do something stupid, be prepared to pay the price.

I've no problem with this one.

AGAIN - I agree on the hypocrisy part. ACLU would have stepped in if they had been other types of flags.

7. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

But G. Gordon Liddy's "constitutional rights" didn't include freedom of speech which is the primary focus of the ACLU.

I've been real busy lately. I had a bunch of friends staying with me over the weekend and I've been crazy busy at work. No yellow ninja luckily.:D

8. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It just says they brought them to school. I just have a problem with it. If they were wearing flag patches on their jackets inside of school then I'm in full agreement, they should be whacked. But outside, in the school parking lot just seems a little crazy to me. Again--if they can go after these kids for having the flags on their vehicles, what's to stop some other kid from complaining about a bumper sticker or something?

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Discipline them ok, but not let them walk in their graduation? That's F'ing ridiculous. That moment is something you remember your whole life, and gives kids a sense of accomplishment for all the work they've done. Furthermore, it's not only their time, but it's a special time for the parents. I can't understand why you'd ban them from the ceremony. That screams of stupidity to me.

10. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0

Hard to argue there.......... It's pretty excessive.

That's what sucks about doing stupid sh!t............ SOMEONE ELSE always is the one that doles out the punishment and 99.9% of the time......... YOU AIN'T GONNA LIKE IT.

Words to live by that have kept me "crime free" for 40+ years. :rocker:

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 3 / -10

Freedom
    :singing:---------:singing:-----------:singing:

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

Maybe there is more to this story.. maybe there has been warnings.. maybe this type of activity which happened on school grounds has caused issues.. maybe.. maybe.. alone it seems pretty severe consequence.

13. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Maybe indeed. I'm sure there have been other instances--the kids appear to be that way (saying that as someone who's qualified to recognize it in others :D).