Welcome to PatsFans.com

Conditioning run

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Crowpointer, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Crowpointer

Crowpointer Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Any bets on who we'll see riding the stationary bike on the sideline friday because they couldn't pass the conditioning run tommorow ? Jonathon Sullivan is probably an early favorite. Any other other future Antowain Smiths ?

2. drew4008

drew4008 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't know how Wilfork will pass it. That guy looked close to 350 this offseason. He was just a gigantic ball. If he does... what an athlete.

3. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,046 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

As long as you meet your times, is rolling allowed?

4. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,445 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

Good point! If the course was downhill, all Wilfork and Sullivan would have to do is curl up and grab their ankles.

5. patsox23

patsox23 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

There is absolutely NO WAY Sullivan passes on the first try.

6. DB15

DB15 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

what is it exactly, I mean I know what a conditioning run is but is it a known time you have to check in at or?

7. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +99 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Its more like a series of small conditioning tests the coaches use to judge their players. They dont give specifics out. Just tell you who failed.:D

8. Lamanai

Lamanai On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Conditioning Test is also different depending upon which position you play. For instance, it is much more difficult for WR/RB/CB than it is for interior linemen.

The format is something like this:

You must run a series of timed sprints, and you must finish each in under a benchmark time. There is a measured break time in between sprints. For example:

- Player (RB) must run five consecutive 40 yd sprints, each in less than 6 seconds. two minute break between sprints.

- Player (DL) must run five consecutive 40 yd sprints, each in less than 7 seconds. three minute break between sprints.

*These times and distances are just used for illustrative purposes - I don't think the requirements/benchmarks are made publicly available.*

In the past, some players (e.g. Antowain Smith) have pointed out that they were being asked to meet the wrong standard. Smith used to say that even though he was a "big back" (235lbs) he had to meet the same benchmark as the swifties like Bethel, Branch, Poole, etc...Other smaller guys listed as FBs (although not mentioned, say, Patrick Pass) only had to run to the standard set up for FB/TE/LB.

Although I think he should have kept his mouth shut, he did make a good point.

9. SunnyDenmark

SunnyDenmark Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

the small conditioning tests consits of the following:
    100 yard sprint
    50 pushups
    200 jumping jacks
    5 handstands
    20 cartwheels
    10 yard egg toss
    3 legged sack race for 50 yards
    5 hail marys
    spash in a sprinkle of yells by the coaches of 'My grandmother in combat boots could run faster than you - maggot'.

Winners in each test get a blue ribbon. Losers get to ride the stationary bikes while watching motivational videos featuring alternating reruns of Jerry Springer and Gilligans Island.