PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Concerns going into 2012 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
My biggest concern is the strength of schedule.

We play the NFC West and AFC South.... two of the easier divisions in the NFL.

Our only real tests will be the Ravens, Texans, 49ers, and maybe the Jets/Bills.

Last year we had a battle tested team. Same with the 2007 squad (which had a really tough schedule). Coincidentally those were the last 2 times we made the SuperBowl.

Last year we had a battle tested team. Same with the 2007 squad (which had a really tough schedule).

The media would be quick to point out that we didn't beat a team with a winning record last year. Not sure if that qualifies as battle tested.

My biggest concern is the strength of schedule.

We play the NFC West and AFC South.... two of the easier divisions in the NFL.

Our only real tests will be the Ravens, Texans, 49ers, and maybe the Jets/Bills.

Last year we had a battle tested team. Same with the 2007 squad (which had a really tough schedule). Coincidentally those were the last 2 times we made the SuperBowl.

I disagree. The division was weak, and they never should have lost in Buffalo. Chiefs, Eagles, Redskins...meh. Denver was possibly the weakest playoff team in the field. Colts sans manning were a Triple A squad. The Steelers and Giants were tests, and they lost. The remainder of the games were games this team should have won.

This year, there are two tests early, with Baltimore and Denver, and two late, Houston and San Fran. The Seattle game is a tough haul all the way across the the country. The Jet games are always emotional, and the St. Louis game follows the Jet home game. The Rams could be a trap game in London. This year's schedule, at this point on July 23, looks to be a bit more of a test, but certainly not grueling.

I'm pretty comfortable with the team core's battle-testedness. They went 14-2 against a brutal schedule in 2010, with a fair amount of rookies and other younger players. And of course last year they got to the big game with a patch-work defense. The core of this team loves winning.

An easier schedule should give the team a chance to rest some folks here and there and integrate all the new guys more as the season goes along, making them that much stronger for the playoffs.

O-line,D,RBs - in that order.

Light is gone,Vollmer was an issue last year. Mankins had the injury and our foes supposedly improved their pass rush in the offseason.

Honestly, my only concern is Wilfork's health.

For me..it's Gronks ankle (probably no issue at all)

And the DBs...i just hope they can stop someone this year

About the schedule concern:

Two of the more difficult teams are towards the end of the schedule.
By that time the PATS should be about where they need to be for the
playoffs so it will be a good measure as to how they stand.

There are teams that may not be strong in all 3 phases of the game but
there will be challenges. Examples: Jets defense will test our offense,
Jags and Seahawks pass D may test PATs pass offense. Broncos with
Manning, who knows how that team will come together.
In fact some teams that are considered middle of the road according to last
years stats may make the needed improvement to become very good.
Cards may become a stronger passing team.

I think with the 3 tough teams plus Jets x 2 and some teams who are improving there
will be enough to test the PATs pretty well during the year.

Last edited:
A couple of things:

- Last year's schedule wasn't a "battle tested schedule". The Pats played the AFC West and the NFC East which neither produced a team with double digit wins. The SOS games were Indy (horrible) and Pittsburgh. During the regular season, the Pats faced one team with 10 or more wins.
- Who knows what the true SOS schedule will be this year. The quality of teams can change from year to year. This time last year, everyone thought that the 49ers would suck, the Colts would win the AFC South, and the Chargers were legitimate Super Bowl contender.

BTW, my biggest concerns are (in no particular order):

- Guard - Is Mankins healthy? Will Waters return and will he hit the age wall? Is Cannon ready if one of them aren't ready to go?
- RT - Is Vollmer's back going to be an issue.
- CB - Will McCourty rebound? Will Dowling take over the other starter role?
- Safety - Will Gregory step up? Will Allen take the spot? Is Belichick right to take Wilson so high or were the critics right that he was a huge reach?
- Outside pass rush - The Pats have removed 20 sacks from their roster (although Carter could be back). Will Scott, Bequette, Cunningham, and/or Jones replace that outside pressure? Is Cunningham going to step up or become an official bust?

I have a few concerns

Solder at LT

Will Waters come back

Will Mankins be ready, I place a lot of importance to this with Solder at LT and Waters does not return.

Have not seen enough from the rb to be confident that they can replace law firms steady if unspectacular production.

Lack of a proven pass rusher from the outside, much of this concern will be alleviated if Carter comes back.

The ability of our DBs to stay on the field.

1. CB. This group could be one of top in the league or a disaster again, depending all on....Dowling. If Dowling stays healthy I feel he is a #1 CB and our first really good man to man CB that we have had in awhile. His presence alone would of helped the defense alot in 2011. Arrington has become a solid all around CB (coverage, run support, ball skills), I trust him as the other starting CB if McCourty doesn't rebound.

2. Vollmer's back/Is Cannon ready to start at RT if he's not ready to go?

3. Who is playing RDE next to Wilfork-Deaderick?

4. Is our runninggame going to be a four man switcharoo like in 2008 (which was pretty effective) or will a lead runner emerge?

A couple of things:

- Last year's schedule wasn't a "battle tested schedule". The Pats played the AFC West and the NFC East which neither produced a team with double digit wins.

Stats are not everything.

Sure they NFC East didn't produce a team with double digit wins.... but it also produced a Super Bowl winner.

Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys are always tough games.

- Outside pass rush - The Pats have removed 20 sacks from their roster (although Carter could be back). Will Scott, Bequette, Cunningham, and/or Jones replace that outside pressure? Is Cunningham going to step up or become an official bust?

I think Cunningham might be the odd man out.

Scott, Ninkovich, Carter(if he's back), Chandler Jones, Bequette..... they all fill the same role that Cunningham would.

To me there's a difference between "concern" and "question mark". Question marks to me are fun, because they're interesting to watch going into camp. Just about every position on this team (outside of starting QB) has question marks to me, so that should all be very interesting to see play out.

The only "concerns" I have (aka, things that I worry have no obvious solution), are:

OL - Not because we don't have players, but the ones who are healthy aren't experienced, and the ones who are experienced may not be healthy. Given how important TB is, that's not stable enough for me to feel comfortable just yet.

Depth at safety - If you can tell me that Chung and Gregory will be healthy all year and that Wilson will emerge as a consistent player his rookie year, I'll be fine. But since we're likely to get a few injuries at the position, I don't like the 3rd/4th/5th safety options nearly enough.

We have best talent. We have the best coaching. We have the best front office. We have the easiest schedule.

MY CONCERNS

1. injuries

2. injuries

3. injuries

4. injuries

Stats are not everything.

Sure they NFC East didn't produce a team with double digit wins.... but it also produced a Super Bowl winner.

Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys are always tough games.

Final win loss records are not stats. That is factual evidence of how the team did vs. their competition.

The Giants weren't playing like a Super Bowl winner when the Pats played them. They lost the next four games after playing the Patriots.

The Eagles fell apart when the Pats played them because Vince Young sucks.

The Cowboys played the Pats tough.

OK I know this sounds ****y but it is honest....my biggest concern is getting Sundays off from work so I can watch the games live and be at the home games . Last year my hours were 8 PM to 4 AM and Sundays were easy to get off this year my hours are 12 PM to 8 PM and Sundays are harder to get off

Our corners and safetys
Our offensive line
Gronk's Ankle
Inconsistent running game

and Tom's Arm - either it was plays drawn up by the former offensive coordinator or just Tom being old, but Tom forced a lot of throws that were either intercepted or short/long

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes